Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2007, 03:37 AM

Default Re: Ask a music scene micro celebrity

[ QUOTE ]
Where does Powerage rank, as far as your favorite AC/DC records go?

[/ QUOTE ]
1/2 Back in Black (best songs, best ass-kickingness)
1/2 Highway to Hell (best singing)
3 Powerage

[ QUOTE ]
What's the worst hand that you've won the most money on (in a game with other serious players, that is)?

[/ QUOTE ]
There's a sort of competition in the Tuesday Game to see who can book the biggest win starting with J4 off-suit, a pet hand we have nicknamed the Buzzsaw. It gets played ridiculously fast, as this example will show:
[ QUOTE ]
You like apples?

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $1/$2
8 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $371
UTG+1: $53.65
MP1: $116.40
MP2: $220.35
CO: $73.35
Button: $417.40
buzzsaw!: $233.85
BB: $195

Pre-flop: (8 players) buzzsaw! is SB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] j[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
3 folds, <font color="red">MP2 raises to $7</font>, 2 folds, buzzsaw! calls, BB folds.

Flop: 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($16, 2 players)
buzzsaw! checks, <font color="red">MP2 bets $10</font>, <font color="red">buzzsaw! raises to $35</font>, MP2 calls.

Turn: 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($86, 2 players)
<font color="red">buzzsaw! bets $178.35</font>, <font color="red">MP2 calls all-in $178.35</font>.

River: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($442.7, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: $442.7)

Results:
Final pot: $442.7
MP2 showed Qh Qc
buzzsaw! showed 4h Jc

How about them apples?

[/ QUOTE ]

Or this one from the limit division:
[ QUOTE ]

Full Tilt Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $1/$2
6 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is Button with 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] j[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG+1 calls, CO folds, <font color="red">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, <font color="red">BB 3-bets</font>, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, <font color="red">Hero caps</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] j[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="red">BB bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Turn: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

River: q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Have you heard that Grinderman record? If so, what do you think of it?

[/ QUOTE ]
Have not heard it, but the lineup looks pretty good.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:39 AM

What has been your relationship with Jim O'rourke? It seems like since you both work as engineers in Chicago with some of the same artists, and possibly share some personal friends, that you've probably bumped elbows once or twice. Also, how do you feel that he was touted by the press as the "producer" on Joanna Newsom's last record?

Also, if you would be so kind, could you listen to a few seconds of my band and offer a brief critique? If you don't want this thread to go down that road, I totally understand. But I would very much like to hear what you think. Whatever you say about us, we will post on our page, unedited, accredited to you. http://myspace.com/hatetruck
Old 07-12-2007, 04:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What has been your relationship with Jim O'rourke?

[/ QUOTE ]
Jim is a good guy, excellent musician and has worked on a bunch of great records. He is more of a producer than engineer, but he gets great results from some sometimes temperamental artists, so more power to him.

Jim hasn't lived in Chicago for a while, and has said some unflattering things about the music scene here, but I have not noticed anybody harboring a reciprocal grudge against him, and he is still generally appreciated and welcomed here.

[ QUOTE ]
how do you feel that he was touted by the press as the "producer" on Joanna Newsom's last record?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't much care about credits. I'm just glad Joanna likes it, and I got to work on it.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, if you would be so kind, could you listen to a few seconds of my band and offer a brief critique? If you don't want this thread to go down that road, I totally understand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Then you totally understand.

[ QUOTE ]
Whatever you say about us, we will post on our page, unedited, accredited to you.

[/ QUOTE ]
This pretty much guarantees that I won't be listening to and commenting on your music.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:29 AM

Any details on the In On the Kill Taker sessions? Was the band just not with it then or what exactly caused things to not work out. Would seem like a great combo.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:36 AM

Hi Steve,
I'm 5 years late, sorry for that....I always wanted to personnaly thank you for probably one of the best week end of my life, which is when Todd, Bob and you curated ATP in 2002.
That week end made love rock music even more than before and I was proud to be part of a specific community, which is actually a word that I don't really like.
I discovered new bands like PW Long and Stinking Lizaveta.
I felt the luckiest bastard on earth to see bands that I adore like Silkworm,Arcwelder,Shipping News,Wire,etc...I can go on and on.
So as I said, I'm 5 years late, but thank you sooooo much Steve, Todd and Bob!!!

I'll think of a question later.

diego
Old 07-12-2007, 07:15 AM

hey Steve

Do you remember Le Vénéré club ?? ( special question i know for the veterans we are)

if you want more details, tell me
Old 07-12-2007, 08:16 AM

I am fan of some Tim Kinsella and his music (Joan Of Arc, Owls, Make Believe) but there is also a fair chunk of crap he has released under various monikers. If anything I think he needs a bit of self-editing at times. What has your experience been working with Tim Kinsella? While a lot publications seem to take joy in taking him down a peg each time a record comes out, how is he perceived within the Chi-town community?

Also, thank you for taking Jessica Hopper down a notch. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has found her "journalism" to be third-rate and alarmist at best.

Please bring Shellac to Montreal and show us how it's done.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:17 AM

Hi Steve,
I have been lurking this forum for a couple of months and this excellent thread made me want to register...
Here are my questions :

Can you tell grossly, how much an artist/band makes for each album sold :
- from a major
- from a fake indie label owned by a major
- from a big indie label
- from an obscure label
- directly from the band/label website
- during a live show

Did you bang Mia from Electrelane during the recording sessions (or at least tried to)?

Did you know that there was a small french "post/free rock" band named "Enregistré par Steve Albini" (recorded by...) ?
I don't know if it's a tribute or a sarcastic name to mock an albini-hype but anyway this must prove you are now in the rock n roll hall of fame, and I guess it must be very strange to have a band named after yourself...
If you are curious you can hear what they are doing here : http://stevealbini.free.fr/

Thx &amp; sorry for the possible english mistakes in my post,
Yop
Old 07-12-2007, 09:02 AM

"Thank you, I love it too. Glad you noticed our considered pace. Perhaps if everybody put out fewer records more of them would be worth listening to."

Only if your the one clicking the mouse, Stevo. $600? You sister doesn't even charge that much...
Old 07-12-2007, 10:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks again for your service to our country!

I keep trying to needle you into saying something negative about modern music, especially hiphop. Is there any that you like?

You've mentioned some soul and R&amp;B singers here, which I didnt find surprising, even though it seems out of character, (rockers are only supposed to like rock, DJs aren't supposed to listen to indiepop etc)...and this is awesome. But some might say that eclecticism can ruin a persons musical focus, especially as a youngster. Some of the best rock and rollers I've know personally have been totally ignorant of everything outside of their genre...is this just an accident of their obsession, or a necessity for them to be

Did you ever say something nice about a person's music just to (wait for it...) get in her pants? You once said that Liz Phair was the least terrible "alternative rock" act in Chicago...COINCIDENCE?

SOME POKER QUESTIONS:

Any poker ambitions (play in WSOP, higher stakes, etc)
Any poker heros? (Beside Andy B obv)
Ever played with any pros?
Future of poker predictions?

SOME LIFE QUESTIONS:

What would you tell a young stalwart man-boy who never seems to get it going with the ladies? Say he writes long dopey letters to chicks after they reject him on their first date? Is he hopeless? If not, should he get a hooker just to clear his mind, or should he just listen to his older and wiser friends and just keep going out and getting rejected until he isn't afraid of chicks? How can we get him to stop putting tha P on a pedestal?

what it do,
--GA

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it because I asked to many questions or because someone told you I kissed a gay guy once on the lips? That was a vicious rumor anyway.

J4x... isn't that the Naked Larry?