Old 07-04-2007, 12:44 AM

Default Re: BRAG - MMA is taking over!

Muay Thai is an asian sport...
Old 07-04-2007, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Muay Thai is an asian sport...

[/ QUOTE ]

Except for western boxing and western-style wrestling, the whole friggin' thing is Asian. This is kinda like saying you hate dairy because cheese rules.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:57 AM

Yea and doesn't bjj have its roots in judo?? Maybe he was trying to be funny cause I don't think anyone can be that retarded

but there are a lot of worthless asian martial arts
Old 07-04-2007, 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yea and doesn't bjj have its roots in judo?? Maybe he was trying to be funny cause I don't think anyone can be that retarded

but there are a lot of worthless asian martial arts

[/ QUOTE ]

There's well over 300 kinds of gung fu alone, and most were formed long ago, when fighting was something these guys did for a living, not for fun, so while there's some that are crap, it's more that you couldn't even teach them the way they used to be taught without getting arrested, and there aren't that many great teachers around anymore. At the core, all this stuff was used in life and death situations on a regular basis. Much of it was proven on the battlefields of war, which make the octagon look like a total joke, and either by bandits against highly skilled guards or by highly skilled guards against bandits.

I think very few people in America realize how murderous Asian countries have been, and for how long. Kind of like how minorities in America today often talk about whites as if they were a unified culture, when the truth is, whites have been slaughtering each other at almost every opportunity for millenia. These guys definitely weren't screwing around. Not when their lives were on the line.

Of course, by the time you see it translated into American mini-malls, where guys make up their own style every five minutes by combining multiple styles they can't do a single one of even halfway well, it starts to look like everything is complete crap down to the core. But that's just seeing things with zero historical perspective. People were using this sh*t to kill each other for ages before any of us were born, and refining and modifying it accordingly. And they weren't developing it and becoming "grandmasters" in mini-malls.

A big influence, too, is that back when fighting was a matter of life and death, not a silly game for public entertainment, weapons were standard. A lot of the absurd looking stances and such work much better against a spear than agains a punch. Try the squared up stances, open guards, and moderate, fairly inflexible movements against someone with a weapon and you're hamburger. They were also designed to be used when wearing armor, or in very particular situations -- very wide stances for plenty of free ground, very narrow, high stances for the shifting decks of ships and floating cities, as in Hong Kong.

It's not that it's only what works best in the ring is the best and only kind of martial arts that does or should matter. It's that the ring is itself an extremely artificial construct, which typical American chauvinistic dunderheads all too commonly fail to admit is exactly that.

It's just a total ignorance of history and lack of perspective, which should be a starting point for further inquiry and learning, not for closing down all learning in some kind of smug satisfaction. Isn't the whole spirit of mixed martial arts the lack of pride, and the ability to see things as they are and incorporate what is best from wherever it comes, without prejudice as to ethnicity or preconceptions? It's unfortunately ironic then that MMA fans are among the first and most vociferous to shout down any broader understanding of the good things in countless martial arts and the limitations of the ones they are most partial to. In the end, MMA fans more often that not sound as close-minded and prideful as any martial artists caught up in what Bruce Lee famously referred to as the "classical mess."

Wow, what a cubic f*ckton of progress.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:36 AM

We have a name for these in mma circles.

"McDojo"

If you go to tae kwon do, kung fu, or karate, odds are you train at a McDojo.

While it's all about how good you get at a skill, and while every skill has --some-- usefulness, i would classify the good arts to be

jiu jitsu
judo
greco roman (and other forms) wrestling
sambo
western boxing
Muay Thai

I don't know of any successful MMA fighters whose background is not in one of these arts.

Bruce Lee was a cool guy, and really had the right idea. "Jeet Kune Do" (sp?), his system, essentially says to learn everything and take the most valuable parts of all arts and put them together. He would have made a fine MMAer.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
We have a name for these in mma circles.

"McDojo"

If you go to tae kwon do, kung fu, or karate, odds are you train at a McDojo.

While it's all about how good you get at a skill, and while every skill has --some-- usefulness, i would classify the good arts to be

jiu jitsu
judo
greco roman (and other forms) wrestling
sambo
western boxing
Muay Thai

I don't know of any successful MMA fighters whose background is not in one of these arts.

Bruce Lee was a cool guy, and really had the right idea. "Jeet Kune Do" (sp?), his system, essentially says to learn everything and take the most valuable parts of all arts and put them together. He would have made a fine MMAer.

[/ QUOTE ]

He already was one. To the extent that he crossed racial lines, which was extremely taboo at the time, and incurred the hatred of his own style by venturing beyond it, and publicized it in Black Belt magazine and elsewhere whenever he was given the chance, it's safe to say he deserves the title of the originator of MMA perhaps better than anyone else.

The only person I can think of who has a solid historical presence that is even remotely comparable to Bruce's, and it's remote indeed, is Henry Okazaki, who not only studied but truly mastered, old school style, numerous martial arts from different ethnicities and radically varying styles, and included others. He taught first, prominently, Professor Law and his wife, two caucasians who had a hand in spreading his fighting techniques to American troops in WW2, and later Wally Jay, who became famous for "small-circle jiu-jitsu" but was pretty famous before that for his martial arts politics in trying to reclaim the racial basis for martial arts back for his own style of jiu-jitsu taken from Okazaki's.

A sample of the arts of Okazaki's style: jiu-jitsu, chinese monkey arts(climbing on opponent's body, etc.), biting arts, flesh-tearing arts, Filipino knife play, Chinese pressure-point fighting, including striking and compliance and control.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:59 AM

i don't have confidence in any martial art that doesn't involve full speed sparing
Old 07-04-2007, 02:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't have confidence in any martial art that doesn't involve full speed sparing

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much all of them used to. The funny part is that all got tamed down for Americans, who now criticize those arts for being tamed down for them.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:03 AM

whatever the reason my point stands
Old 07-04-2007, 02:09 AM

Here's a good one. Good example of what i'm talking about.

McDojo guy is a 10th Degree Black Belt in Wu-Hsing (Tai Chi) Kung Fu
Founder of the Wu-Hsing Martial Arts System-Internal and External Arts
10th Degree Black Belt in Shuri Ryu-Okinawan Arts
10th Degree Black Belt in Chinese Kempo
10th Degree Black Belt in Okinawan and Japanese Kobudo and Chinese Weapons
10th Degree Black Belt in Shorie and Japanese Arts
9th Degree Black Belt United States Karate Alliance
9th Degree Black Belt Professional Karate Commission

and i would bet soooooooo much cash at ridiculous odds that there are multiple guys at the hardcore gym in athens who would school him completely. Not the teachers, the students. Maybe even the majority if he can't wrestle.