Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 06:08 PM

Default Re: The Vegetarian Torture

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
there are many documented cases of dogs, pigs, dolphins, (i'm sure the list goes on) saving human lives without being forced to.

there are many cases of retarded people laying around, pissing and [censored] on themselves helplessly.

hence there are many animals with more intelligence and compassion than some retarded people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent story. It must be proven!

[/ QUOTE ]

read the first chapter of diet for a new america for proof of animals doing these things. fwiw, i think this book is poorly written and sensationalized and i wouldn't recommend it personally to anyone that eats meat.

[ QUOTE ]

FWIW, I actually think this might be the dumbest comment in this thread. By objective definitions of intelligence, the gap between the dumbest human and the most intelligent non-human animal is just ABSURD.

[/ QUOTE ]

are you [censored] kidding me? obviously you've never seen the documentary about koko the talking gorilla

you'll notice the gorilla owns cats and is even capable of sexual harrasment.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
are you [censored] kidding me? obviously you've never seen the documentary about koko the talking gorilla

[/ QUOTE ]

You're honestly more impressed by the ability to sign 1000 words and grab at nipples than the ability to read/write???????????????????????????
Old 06-27-2006, 06:18 PM

Nipple grabbing is a rather significant sign of intelligence, if you ask me.

Swede
Old 06-27-2006, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that's damned hilarious.

That's the funniest thing in this thread.

I sincerely hope you were trying to be funny there.

Awesome.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm not trying to give you a hard time. I have no problems with people who choose not to eat meet and I'm sure you'll be a great parent, but I'm not sure that raising a child as a vegetarian doesn't have risks associated with it no matter how knowledgeable the parents are.

Kids don't always eat everything their parents tell them to. If a kid is eating a diet with redundant sources of a given nutrient, then if he or she doesn't eat enough of one food, it's not that big of a deal. If a kid is eating a diet where some food items are the only sources for essential nutrients, then it stands to reason that there would be a greater chance that the kid would choose not to eat something important.

scrub

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand your point, but do you give this speech to everyone? Do you honestly think my vegetarian kid is in as much danger as the kid whose parents take him to McDonalds?
Old 06-27-2006, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
People would be less abrasive if certain vegetarians didn't waste time with accusations about the normal American diet. You have 0% chance of changing our minds.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is absolutely untrue. I have three or four friends who became vegetarian recently because they did, in fact, have their minds changed. I'm not sure what changed their mind, I'm not much of a vegetarian preacher myself, but will talk about it if asked.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am influenced by people I respect and hope to influence those who respect me. My decision to becomea vegetarian years ago was influenced by the choices (and the thinking behind those choices)of people I repsect. I, in turn, have influenced some others who are close to me. None of this should really be surprising at all.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This thread has beens severely hijacked, but I think that Q-tip needs to grow up and stop being so picky about food and at the same time the people who invited him for dinner are not good hosts. As a host, your goal should be to cater to the needs and desires of your guests. These people were being self-centered.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, I'm with you on all this. However, again, let it be known that I tried everything there.

Now, my question from the start was really "How do I handle this politely?" By "this", I mean regarding the fact that I have a ton of food left on my plate that makes me want to puke. That, by itself, is rude where I come from.

Meep mentioned making an excuse about not feeling well. I guess that's about all I can do. I can't really see saying "You know what, I'm not familiar with any of these dishes, and I'm not fond of them. However, I do appreciate the time and effort you put into preparing it."

That just doesn't seem right.

Edit: I humbly submit to the hijacking of this thread as if certainly has gotten much more interesting.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:50 PM

I was "raised" vegetarian by my mother. It didn't work, and I think it may have been the force involved (in that no meat was ever available). Had I been merely encouraged, I do believe it may have stuck.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Unrealistic hypotheticals are not worth asking seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

I once heard of an idiot who wondered what it was like to take a ride on a beam of light.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Can I get Cliff's notes on why this thread became so enormous? I thought Censored's reply should have ended the thread within the first ten posts, so I didn't check back in on it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Read it, there's some good stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

You lied. There's a bunch of people who are proud to be vegetarians, and a bunch of people who counter with being proud to not be vegetarians, they attack each other, the veggies have the moral high ground, the non-veggies have popular opinion, and it degenerates into meaningless drivel as they take potshots at each other. Just like any time a topic like this comes up.

The only good I got from this thread is adding Drewdevil to my ignore list.
Closed Thread