Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2007, 01:33 AM

Default Re: The state of Notre Dame football.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He hasn't done anything. When he does, I'll credit him for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

We know he can coach, he went 10-3 his first year. (Oh, I'm sorry, he went 9-3, that was some other guy who went 10-3.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Ty also started that year 8-0. Funny, no contract extension.

I also wonder if people were blaming Ty's bad 3rd year at ND on the previous coach. Ummmm. Nope.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, you should give him credit for being 1-7, a home dog to Navy, and getting a puff piece passed on the AP wire by a fellow alum. That is skillz.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's a helluva salesman.

I'm still trying to figure out what the big deal is about him. It sure isn't based on perfomance.

b
Old 10-25-2007, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
We were unranked to start 2007 and many of us considered it a lost season anyway with so few upperclassman

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you guys just knew it was going to be a lost season. Set your internet time machines back to August and discover the hilarious truth:

http://bluegraysky.blogspot.com/2007...68030567018432

This isn't one, but NINE Notre Dame bloggers predictions from the preseason. This isn't just a singular, crazy fool I dug up. This is Notre Dame's most popular blog, and they got NINE Notre Dame bloggers together to predict Notre Dame's record preseason, and the ABSOLUTE WORST two of the guys came up with is 8-4! One guy thought ND was going 11-1! LOL

But yeah, yeah, Domer nation just knew this was going to be a "lost" season.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely a LOL. It's college football illiterates like the guy who predicted 11-1 that give some Irish fans a bad name. Most experts (SI, Athalon, etc) predicted something around 7-5 or 6-6.

Also, please respond if the fans of the teams you all follow never have unrealistic expectations at the beginning of the season.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:57 AM

Yeah I understand optimism at the beginning of the year, but that post is mainly funny for the guy who picked them to have a better regular season than last year.

"Uhhh we lost all our skill players and a bunch of starters from an already crappy defense? I think we'll do BETTER!"
Old 10-25-2007, 02:02 AM

Also funny that they they voted 5-4 that ND would lose to UCLA. But they did get the PSU and USC games right.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We know he can coach, he went 10-3 his first year. (Oh, I'm sorry, he went 9-3, that was some other guy who went 10-3.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I also wonder if people were blaming Ty's bad 3rd year at ND on the previous coach. Ummmm. Nope.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, you should give him credit for being 1-7, a home dog to Navy, and getting a puff piece passed on the AP wire by a fellow alum. That is skillz.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's a helluva salesman.

I'm still trying to figure out what the big deal is about him. It sure isn't based on perfomance.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Bernie,

Let me tell you a little bit about the wonderful 8-0 start Ty had at ND in 2002, you know, the one you love to site as "OMG Ty started this well at ND and no contract extension." Through 8 games including their win at FSU on 26 October 2002, they had a plus 8 turnover margin, with 78 points scored off of turnovers, with 5 defensive touchdowns. Now, this being a poker board and all, I think you understand that luckboxing points at that rate is certainly unsustainable. The 2002 Irish featured an erratic and inconsistent offense that was consistently bailed out by big defensive plays. In truth, they were a couple of lucky bounces away from being 5-3. Once the team's short-term lucky breaks evened out to around its expected long term average, ND's season win totals came down to an expected 5 or 6 per season. After that 8-0 start you mention ad nausium, largely accomplished through an unsustainably high concentration of turnovers and defensive scores, the Irish dropped to 13-16 for the remainder of TW's tenure.

Expect similar mediocrity in Washington (your 20-6 home loss to previously winless Stanford at the end of last year is a good indication of what's to come).

There is no comparison to the 2005 Irish, which regularly blew opponents out, and only lost in OT to MSU, USC with the "Bush Push", and played OSU close for 58 minutes in the Fiesta Bowl until the Buckeyes put on a 2nd TD lead w/2 minutes left.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah I understand optimism at the beginning of the year, but that post is mainly funny for the guy who picked them to have a better regular season than last year.

"Uhhh we lost all our skill players and a bunch of starters from an already crappy defense? I think we'll do BETTER!"

[/ QUOTE ]

As I said, it's "morans" like this that cause level headed Irish fans to shake their heads.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm saying it definitely moves a guy up a spot or two
--this is enough to push ND roughly 5 spots higher than they should be nearly every year (the lines are thin between classes just as they are in season rankings for win/losses)

Weis is still doing a great job and there will be no excuse to not have a top10 team in 3 years

yes, the hype goes onto all schools, however it's more with ND.
Partly because it's ND. Partly because of the close relationship with Tom Lemming and ND.

A recent book, Meat Market by Bruce Feldman, had some good info on this. The book is mainly focused on Ole Miss recruiting for one season. Oftentimes, if LSU got involved on a guy, he would suddenly jump on the recruiting rankings as the recruiting analysts would trust LSU's judgment.

ND gets the same treatment to a higher magnitude. So far, I've seen nothing of the Weis regime to dictate they deserve that respect for their scouting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got ya. I def agree with the Lemming stuff, he is brutal. Also enjoy Feldman stuff and will have to check out the book.

I'm not going to argue with ND being moved up 5 spots unfairly, I was under the initial impression that you were saying it was a bigger jump than that.

It pretty much comes down to the fact that Weis will have 3 straight top 10 classes, and the team needs to show great improvement next season, and have a team that in the National Title picture in two seasons. There won't be any room for excuses and overly protecting/supporting Weis starting next year, and I don't think that any ND fan would argue with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is actually some pretty interesting analysis. Do recruits get an "ND" bounce in their ratings when it appears the Irish are interested? I'd say partially. (I'm no expert) but I'd venture to guess that a) ND scouts a relatively unknown player, b) other schools and Scout/Rivals decide to relook the kid. c) Subsequent relook gives the kid an additional star or so in his recruiting ranking.

This begs the question: Did the kid's ranking rise because ND's top notch scouting department spotted a hidden gem, or does Scout, Rivals, and even other schools give undue opinion to the Irish's scouting capabilities?

I suspect the answer is somewhere in the middle...but I can't be anything but impressed with how the current class is going. I suspect overrating is at a minimum, because as I look through my preseason recruiting yearbook, many top guys the Irish have since landed were not committed at the time of its publication.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:36 AM

Aren't Michigan and ND off of each other's schedules coming up soon? How do these good classes coincide with those years? I'll be pissed if Michigan's good upcoming classes and ND's don't play each other.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Aren't Michigan and ND off of each other's schedules coming up soon? How do these good classes coincide with those years? I'll be pissed if Michigan's good upcoming classes and ND's don't play each other.

[/ QUOTE ]

We play UM through 2010. In 2011-2012, we're playing Oklahoma. The good news is, ND and UM signed like a 25 year extension of the series beginning in 2013. I can't stand the Wolverines, but ND and UM's destinies have intertwined so much over series' history that it would be awful for college football fans if it were discontinued.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's a helluva salesman.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Bernie,

Let me tell you a little bit about the wonderful 8-0 start Ty had at ND in 2002, you know, the one you love to site as "OMG Ty started this well at ND and no contract extension." Through 8 games including their win at FSU on 26 October 2002, they had a plus 8 turnover margin, with 78 points scored off of turnovers, with 5 defensive touchdowns. Now, this being a poker board and all, I think you understand that luckboxing points at that rate is certainly unsustainable. The 2002 Irish featured an erratic and inconsistent offense that was consistently bailed out by big defensive plays. In truth, they were a couple of lucky bounces away from being 5-3. Once the team's short-term lucky breaks evened out to around its expected long term average, ND's season win totals came down to an expected 5 or 6 per season. After that 8-0 start you mention ad nausium, largely accomplished through an unsustainably high concentration of turnovers and defensive scores, the Irish dropped to 13-16 for the remainder of TW's tenure.

Expect similar mediocrity in Washington (your 20-6 home loss to previously winless Stanford at the end of last year is a good indication of what's to come).

There is no comparison to the 2005 Irish, which regularly blew opponents out, and only lost in OT to MSU, USC with the "Bush Push", and played OSU close for 58 minutes in the Fiesta Bowl until the Buckeyes put on a 2nd TD lead w/2 minutes left.

[/ QUOTE ]

So your point is that Ty is a better recruiter than the guy who was at ND before him?

BTW did Ty go 1-7 two years after he luckboxed his way to 8-0?