Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Puzzles and Other Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2007, 12:06 PM

Default Re: Election! - The Game Thread

[ QUOTE ]
the hen is in the den, i repeat, the hen is in the den

the rooster crows at night, the panda sips his brandy, the jello is fitting the mold

[/ QUOTE ]
As I read this, GT1T has erectile dysfunction, Herbie has teh ghey, KM is drunk again and JaredL is asleep on the couch.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:08 PM

btw, ive decided we should be doing the “fire” thing. lets get on with it.
ive already decided on bram/zurv. shorty likes traz or dmk(iirc). i could compromise and dual wagon bram and dmk (traz wont fly at this point).
what say the rest of the village?
Old 01-17-2007, 12:09 PM

I do not like this fire idea. That basically embraces all of the difficulties of a normal game and garners none of the benefits of electoral system. I believe it truly screws the village. I will go in to some specific ways, since people keep bringing this up:

1. It completely falls apart in must lynch situations.
2. It allows for fuzzy firing since they are not really binding, so wolves can easier manipulate that vote with less accountability.
3. It has potential to really screw the seers. For instance, say a seer gets elected and has to vote off someone he knows is a villager.

On the plus side, it does hurt some of the wolf electing strategies, but then again, it removes those wolf tells because elections no longer matter until they really matter, and then you really set the village up for a fall.

Here is a scenario: With say 7 villagers and 3 wolves left, we elect A, who is a wolf, and tell him to fire B, who is a villager. What if A fires C, instead, who is also a villager? Now we are at 5 to 3, we say fire A, and elect whoever. This is just an ugly spot. If we elect a wolf, we lose. We never really trust B, because this play is beutiful on A's part even if B is a wolf, and we are just screwed. Now instead of A being a wolf, he is a villager with a really solid read on B being a villager, and knows that our chances are slim if we lynch a villager today. So he is faces with very slim prospects by going with the crowd or gambling on picking a wolf. And even if he does nail a wolf, by doctrine he is next on the block the next day.

The point is, restricting those elected to one choice is not good. Of all the ideas I have heard to restrict lynching, whitelisting sounds like it has a shot of working. Everyone can whitelist players they don't want lynched, and peope who are on X whitelists are not to be lynched.

I think there is a lot of room to identify villagers and wolves by who gets elected and who they vote for. Forcing the vote just gives cover to wolves and has serious potential to really screw a villager (and in an end game the whole village).

What's the fire thing again?

ok, i guess we arent geting any nich bulletins. im leaving for sure in 6 minutes.
the “fire” deadline is 8pm
Old 01-17-2007, 12:10 PM

SH, while its very kind of you to compromise, i insist that you go with your original suspects
Old 01-17-2007, 12:11 PM

Figured I would make a list to let people know where I stand ATM - I will probably wait until this evening to cast my vote.

Early village-ish list
Shortline
CPFB
Boiler
FCBL
Soah (hmmmm)
Fnord
IY
Luckay
Chuck
Clown
MDoranD

Early wolf-ish list
Xorbie - Starts off the game with a post saying this game rocks (excuse to post more?) then posts a ton on day 1 after having posted virtually nothing during his last 3 long games (all villager).
Voj - I don't think I've ever seen him get mad before - I also don't think I've ever seen him as a wolf before.
Zurvan - This is mostly because I knew from about 1 hour into day one of Mallorean that he was a villager and I don't know that here yet
Traz - After rereading the first page of the thread my immediate thought was that Traz and Xorbie are wolves together.
Iron - He has only made 2 posts so far, both totally devoid of content other than casting a vote for amp, and hardly ever plays - that is not how I would expect an inexperienced villager to play
Econo - This is purely a semi-UTR feel thing, nothing blatant stands out but I don't get teh villager vibes
Old 01-17-2007, 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

an extremely lame way to have the village determine what the electorate is going to do, effectively eliminating any sort of purpose of having the electorate in the first place

the whole reason of choosing 3 ppl to be electorates is that you trust them to make a decision that is pro-village. why would we have to guide them? surely they can make their own decision
Old 01-17-2007, 12:13 PM

Fnord - really good post
Old 01-17-2007, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

an extremely lame way to have the village determine what the electorate is going to do, effectively eliminating any sort of purpose of having the electorate in the first place

the whole reason of choosing 3 ppl to be electorates is that you trust them to make a decision that is pro-village. why would we have to guide them? surely they can make their own decision

[/ QUOTE ]

Like any other election, the electorate can promise all kinds of things, but when it is time for them to decide, they can do whatever they want. The fire thing is stupid.