Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How often do you climax during sex?
never 7 3.83%
rarely 4 2.19%
sometimes 10 5.46%
often 11 6.01%
nearly always 53 28.96%
always 98 53.55%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-17-2006, 06:05 PM

Default Re: CHI/ARZ Thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
DVOA

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Defense-Adjusted Value Over Average. It's pronounced D-V-O-A.

Putting things in perspective, if Arizona played like that all the time they'd be the best team in the league, while Chicago would be the worst.

Here's the DVOA rankings through week 6. You can find explanations of the numbers here.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Here’s the total DVOA for this game:
ARI: 58.7%
CHI: -50.1%

I’m not sure, but I think that’s the biggest spread ever where the team where the higher DVOA for the game lost.

This is also pretty shocking:

ARI OFF pass: 48.0%
ARI OFF rush: -51.5%

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently, discounting fumbles, Edge had the worst performance by a running back in the history of DVOA. The only ones noted as worse were multiple fumble games with similar futility.

[/ QUOTE ]

* 2001 Week 1: Stephen Davis, back when he was still with the Redskins, gained 35 yards on 14 carries with three fumbles in a 30-3 blowout loss to San Diego. FO result: -10.1 PAR, -8.2 DPAR with opponent adjustment.

* 2001 Week 17: Ricky Williams, in his final game with New Orleans, gained 33 yards on 11 carries with three fumbles in a 38-0 blowout loss to San Francisco. FO result: -8.7 PAR, -8.3 DPAR with opponent adjustment. By the way, Ricky also had -8 receiving yards in this game.

* 2003 Week 16: Deuce McAllister gained 50 yards on 21 carries in a 20-19 loss to Jacksonville. This is the famous game that ended with New Orleans returning a kickoff with a zillion laterals for a touchdown, only to have John Carney honk the extra point to end the Saints' playoff hopes. McAllister fumbled away the ball as the Saints were driving for the game-tying touchdown in the fourth quarter, and the official stats for some reason don't count a play where McAllister dropped the handoff on fourth-and-2 and lost nine yards. Only two runs went longer than four yards: one for five, one for nine. FO result: -10.1 PAR, -8.2 DPAR with opponent adjustment. If you add in receiving, though, McAllister was better than Edge was on Monday night; he caught six passes for 63 yards. James caught just one pass for seven yards.

Edgerrin James and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
Old 10-17-2006, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I just clicked the link, and the volume was up so high it woke the baby. My wife, who fails to understand the all-time classicness of the Playoffs?!? rant, was not amused. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Also, FWIW that link is one of his more famous rants but isn't the PLAYOFFS!?!? one. It's right here.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
myturn2raise,

your thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol...as you might imagine, I have plenty
I've been on vacation in St. Louis and thought I would be spared the pain of watching my beloved Cards on the gridiron, because I planned to be at Busch watching game 5. Alas, mother nature is a bitch sometimes and I found myself at the Ameristar in St. Charles, MO watching this game.

Some of you think this is one of the most incredible chokes ever. It's actually standard fare for the Cardinals organization. The only difference is that this game was primetime for everyone to see. The whole nation got the ROFLLMAOOMG thrill of Cardinals football.

-random thoughts reading from reading this thread and watching the game

1) The comparison of this Bears team and the '85 one is laughable. Maybe, the league is watered down that much, but this team is now only 6-0 and should've lost 2 road games except for complete incompetence by losers trying to finish something. The Bears offense is still up in the air. I don't believe in Sexy Rexy. I definitely don't believe in Ron Turner. The Bears defense is still susceptible to gamebreaking wideouts.

2) Kudos to Daliman for pointing out that the Bears should've kicked a FG instead of going for it on 4th and 10. It was clear that Arizona had stopped trying to score and was playing to stall out the clock. Bears should've kept momentum and field position. Pressure the Cards because they are losers and losers fold in such situations.

3) I agree with Gus and disagree with Thremp. The Cards should've kept passing because the Bears had yet to make the proper adjustments to stop it. I'm not talking deep 5 and 7 step drops. I'm talking 3 step drops and quick shotgun sets with hitches and slants to the wideouts. YOu know, the plays that Arizona was absolutely killing the Bears on the whole game. I could only cringe when I hear Dennis Green's halftime comments about continuing to run to set up the pass. Who the [censored] is he kidding? What the [censored] is wrong with him? It was the quick passing game that was setting up a few successful runs. It was the quick passing game that was the base that everything else should've revolved around. I don't understand how guys who spend their whole lives in football can be so oblivious at times, and give me reason to think that I'm nearly as football savvy as they are.

4)Dennis Green is right in his tirade. The match-ups/game plan favored Arizona (even without Fitzgerald) and they let an overmatched team off the hook. I wasn't joking when I had been saying for almost the entire year that this was a real challenge for the Bears. I expected the Cards to win. I was even dumb enough to bet the Cards moneyline. Somehow, I glossed over the fact that the Cards are the biggest losers of any franchise in professional sports. They remind me of the Knights in the early part of the Natural. The Bears are good, but they are not OMG, greatest thing since sliced bread.

5) Cornheiser is a [censored] idiot and it's like watching a game with a 5-year old or unknowledgable woman. I can only grimace that he somehow has this job and I don't. He has lost all credibility for any column he might write IMO. He has little understanding of football and is just a momentum whore....what a jopke!

6) Another few weeks of listening to the worst fans in all of sports go on and on and on and on and on and on.....The newspapers around Chicago already had stories last week about 16 and 0. Every radio station talks Bears nonstop. Every Bear piece of apparal has come out of the closet. Bears talk is 24/7 in every environment. Picture the worst traits of White Sox fans and the worst traits of Cub fans molding into an uber-pathetic voltron of Bears fans. Reason and logic tread lightly in the Chicago area for the very gloomy fall to come.

there...did I stir the pot enough?
Old 10-18-2006, 06:02 AM

yea, bears fans are really getting annoying, they are starting to rival the fans of another team that will remain anonymous (to not cause a blow up)
Old 10-18-2006, 06:48 AM

MyTurn, you're acting like all defenses other than the Bears's defense are impervioud to "gamebreaking wrs." Boldin can shred anyone at anytime, along with a few other wr's. I picked an awesome game to go to, but damn was the bears offense bad. One thing that may have been mentioned, but if Grossman throws his first pass onthe bomb to berrian one yard shorter...

Anyone knocking on the Bears needs to give credit to the absurd performance by Urlacher, Hester and the rest of the DST and rip on the offense a loooot more.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Boldin can shred anyone at anytime, along with a few other wr's.

[/ QUOTE ]

No one can shred anyone at anytime. See Carolina-Seattle in last yer's playoffs
Old 10-18-2006, 08:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
myturn2raise,

your thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol...as you might imagine, I have plenty
I've been on vacation in St. Louis and thought I would be spared the pain of watching my beloved Cards on the gridiron, because I planned to be at Busch watching game 5. Alas, mother nature is a bitch sometimes and I found myself at the Ameristar in St. Charles, MO watching this game.

Some of you think this is one of the most incredible chokes ever. It's actually standard fare for the Cardinals organization. The only difference is that this game was primetime for everyone to see. The whole nation got the ROFLLMAOOMG thrill of Cardinals football.

-random thoughts reading from reading this thread and watching the game

1) The comparison of this Bears team and the '85 one is laughable. Maybe, the league is watered down that much, but this team is now only 6-0 and should've lost 2 road games except for complete incompetence by losers trying to finish something. The Bears offense is still up in the air. I don't believe in Sexy Rexy. I definitely don't believe in Ron Turner. The Bears defense is still susceptible to gamebreaking wideouts.

2) Kudos to Daliman for pointing out that the Bears should've kicked a FG instead of going for it on 4th and 10. It was clear that Arizona had stopped trying to score and was playing to stall out the clock. Bears should've kept momentum and field position. Pressure the Cards because they are losers and losers fold in such situations.

3) I agree with Gus and disagree with Thremp. The Cards should've kept passing because the Bears had yet to make the proper adjustments to stop it. I'm not talking deep 5 and 7 step drops. I'm talking 3 step drops and quick shotgun sets with hitches and slants to the wideouts. YOu know, the plays that Arizona was absolutely killing the Bears on the whole game. I could only cringe when I hear Dennis Green's halftime comments about continuing to run to set up the pass. Who the [censored] is he kidding? What the [censored] is wrong with him? It was the quick passing game that was setting up a few successful runs. It was the quick passing game that was the base that everything else should've revolved around. I don't understand how guys who spend their whole lives in football can be so oblivious at times, and give me reason to think that I'm nearly as football savvy as they are.

4)Dennis Green is right in his tirade. The match-ups/game plan favored Arizona (even without Fitzgerald) and they let an overmatched team off the hook. I wasn't joking when I had been saying for almost the entire year that this was a real challenge for the Bears. I expected the Cards to win. I was even dumb enough to bet the Cards moneyline. Somehow, I glossed over the fact that the Cards are the biggest losers of any franchise in professional sports. They remind me of the Knights in the early part of the Natural. The Bears are good, but they are not OMG, greatest thing since sliced bread.

5) Cornheiser is a [censored] idiot and it's like watching a game with a 5-year old or unknowledgable woman. I can only grimace that he somehow has this job and I don't. He has lost all credibility for any column he might write IMO. He has little understanding of football and is just a momentum whore....what a jopke!

6) Another few weeks of listening to the worst fans in all of sports go on and on and on and on and on and on.....The newspapers around Chicago already had stories last week about 16 and 0. Every radio station talks Bears nonstop. Every Bear piece of apparal has come out of the closet. Bears talk is 24/7 in every environment. Picture the worst traits of White Sox fans and the worst traits of Cub fans molding into an uber-pathetic voltron of Bears fans. Reason and logic tread lightly in the Chicago area for the very gloomy fall to come.

there...did I stir the pot enough?

[/ QUOTE ]

about cornheiser...i'm surprised at this...i've always liked him before this and thought he did a good job...but he has been off on football so far...hopefully he'll adjust to it though...
Old 10-18-2006, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Another few weeks of listening to the worst fans in all of sports go on and on and on and on and on and on.....

[/ QUOTE ]
Great post overall IMO (I'm guessing you're formerly from St. Louis and were a Cardinals fan from WAY back then?), but what do you mean about the statement above? I'm guessing you're a St. Louis sports fan by trade and as such can't stand Chicago, but "worst fans in all of sports" is pretty strong.

FWIW I'm not particularly disagreeing, just curious.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Another few weeks of listening to the worst fans in all of sports go on and on and on and on and on and on.....

[/ QUOTE ]
Great post overall IMO (I'm guessing you're formerly from St. Louis and were a Cardinals fan from WAY back then?), but what do you mean about the statement above? I'm guessing you're a St. Louis sports fan by trade and as such can't stand Chicago, but "worst fans in all of sports" is pretty strong.

FWIW I'm not particularly disagreeing, just curious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, I find MT2R far more annoying than any of the Bears fans on the board so far.