FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2006, 11:03 PM

Default Re: *Red Sox thread* News, views, and love for the front office

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A 30% increase is nothing to sneeze at.

[/ QUOTE ]

you can't just think about it in % terms. he already had more money than he will ever spend.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Professional athletes aren't exactly known as the best savers- see Dennis Rodman for a prominent example.

And the market valued him at 13/4. If I was him I would have done the same thing, regardless of team. I'm a Yankee fan but if I was playing for the Yankees and the Red Sox offered me 30% more pay, you bet your ass I'd go play for them and not feel bad about it. Owners don't feel about about not resigning bad players so why should players feel bad about going somewhere where they can get PAID?

[/ QUOTE ]

sigh. my point was that anybody comparing their job situation to a multi-millionare Johnny Damon type (ie if they gave me a raise from $70k to $100k you bet your ass I would move!!!!111!!) isn't thinking about it correctly, since you probbaly need the money, and he certainly doesn't.

and using the one of the worst money spenders of all time as an example isn't a very good typical example, and really doesn't pertain to Johnny Damons case.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you can't just think about it in % terms. he already had more money than he will ever spend.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am pretty sure that if you add up all the money Damon has made in his career, deduct taxes, agent fees, and money he has spent, 12 mil will be a pretty significant amount of extra income. I suspect that he earned a relatively tiny about in his years at KC and Oakland. I know he probably cashed in big from being a star in Boston and doing promotions after 2004, but I would not scoff at 12 mil.

Didn't most people say the sox 4/40 offer was mostly one for posterity anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]

Damon's career salaries:

1995 Kansas City Royals $109,000
1996 Kansas City Royals $180,000
1997 Kansas City Royals $240,000
1998 Kansas City Royals $460,000
1999 Kansas City Royals $2,100,000
2000 Kansas City Royals $4,000,000
2001 Oakland Athletics $7,100,000
2002 Boston Red Sox $7,250,000
2003 Boston Red Sox $7,500,000
2004 Boston Red Sox $8,000,000
2005 Boston Red Sox $8,250,000
Career (may be incomplete) $45,189,000

Now add in the extra 12 million over the next 4 years and you start to see what a difference it can make.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
12 mil will be a pretty significant amount of extra income

[/ QUOTE ]

remember, after deducting all those fees you mentioned, that 12 mil turns into about 5.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Professional athletes aren't exactly known as the best savers- see Dennis Rodman for a prominent example.

And the market valued him at 13/4. If I was him I would have done the same thing, regardless of team. I'm a Yankee fan but if I was playing for the Yankees and the Red Sox offered me 30% more pay, you bet your ass I'd go play for them and not feel bad about it. Owners don't feel about about not resigning bad players so why should players feel bad about going somewhere where they can get PAID?

[/ QUOTE ]

sigh. my point was that anybody comparing their job situation to a multi-millionare Johnny Damon type (ie if they gave me a raise from $70k to $100k you bet your ass I would move!!!!111!!) isn't thinking about it correctly, since you probbaly need the money, and he certainly doesn't.

and using the one of the worst money spenders of all time as an example isn't a very good typical example, and really doesn't pertain to Johnny Damons case.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm tryin to say that if i was making damon's salary for the yankees and the red sox offered me 30% more, i'd take it. a total fantasy of course.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
12 mil will be a pretty significant amount of extra income

[/ QUOTE ]

remember, after deducting all those fees you mentioned, that 12 mil turns into about 5.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, fair enough, it works both ways [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Of course sox fans have a reason to be pissed: the yankees stole one of their beloved players by thowing enormous amounts of money at him. It's understandable they are unhappy, I just don't think it is reasonable to villify him and throw stuff at him while he is on the field.

I wish that Wells, Clemens, and Pettitte were still Yankees but I would never boo them for the decisions they made. Wells wanted to be a Yankee but the FO wouldn't sign him, the sox would, so he went to Boston. A lot of yankee fans I know hate clemens for retiring and coming back, but IMO he really intended to retire and then got an awesome offer from the astros. I don't really hold that against him. Lord knows I would love to have pettitte on our staff right now, but he wanted to pitch close to home and the yankees didnt quite go crazy to resign him.

So yeah, I think the way damon was treated was out of line. It isn't that huge a deal, but I would hope that yankee fans would be more reasonable if, for instance, the yankees wont resign sheffield next year and he goes to a contending team which is willing to sign him.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:24 PM

Was Welles booed at YS? I can't remember. Wells was a bastard. He ripped the Sox for years when he was with the Yankees but when they were like the only team that wanted him he put on the Big B cap.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IMO the damon booing is pretty lame. I would never boo Wells for going to the sox, or clemens or pettitte. the guy was a huge part of winning the WS, and the FO just wasn't willing to overpay him as much as the Yankees would.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

Also, the fact that he said he wouldn't play for the Yankees is a deal-breaker for me. I recognize that most players are pretty much mercenaries, but that was weak sauce.

NT
Old 05-02-2006, 03:07 AM

guess no one knows the answer
Old 05-02-2006, 04:43 AM

1. I'm a grownup. When I attend a game, I act like a grownup. I never boo anybody, nor scream negative things, and I can't understand people who do.

2. To the people who don't understand the fans' backlash against Damon: note that Dave Roberts and Orlando Cabrera (among others) were given hero's welcomes when they returned to Fenway. Did the fans love those guys more than Damon? Of course not. But they didn't sign with the Yankees. As somebody on tv said tonight, if Damon had left to take more money from the Royals, they would've given him a parade on the day he returned.

3. No discussion of the Mirabelli story? I think it's one of the most remarkable things I've ever heard of.

4. Lost in all of this: an AWESOME job by Wakefield tonight. Four hits, including the cheapest two-run single you'll ever see. I'm pretty sure the ball stopped rolling before anyone got to it. I've never seen a ball hit so weakly (rolling from the dirt to the grass, the grass almost stopped it!) drive in a pair.

5. Jonathan Papelbon is the best pitcher in baseball right now. I think this deserves its own thread.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:15 PM

You are definitely overstating it to say Wakefield did an AWESOME job. Overall he got fairly lucky, jeter had a 2b+ taken away by the wind, and the Yankees had 3-4 line outs during the middle innings. It easily could have gone the other way and he would have done poorly. For the most part he was getting hit hard rather than being in control of hitters like he sometimes can me. Cano's ball was totally lucky, but Wakefield but himself in that position by walking the bases full. I certainly wouldn't say he did badly, but not amazing. I'm not complaining that the yankees didn't score more and got jacked or anything, but I wouldn't overstate how well he pitched.

Everyone understands the Damon backlash, it's pretty simple, but it is still out of line to throw stuff at him and I would never treat a player like that unless he trashed a teammate in the media when he left or something. I know he might have said he wanted to stay a Red Sox his entire career, but the situation changed. Clemens said he wanted to retire as a yankee, then the circumstances changed, and he changed his mind. That is understandable, it's not too big deal IMO, enough to be pissed if you want but the guy was a big part of ending the freaking curse... no small deal. I'm pretty sure Damon thought the sox would overpay him full market value (like they did for varitek) when he would be a FA.