Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2007, 08:38 PM

Default Re: The state of Notre Dame football.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm saying it definitely moves a guy up a spot or two
--this is enough to push ND roughly 5 spots higher than they should be nearly every year (the lines are thin between classes just as they are in season rankings for win/losses)

Weis is still doing a great job and there will be no excuse to not have a top10 team in 3 years

yes, the hype goes onto all schools, however it's more with ND.
Partly because it's ND. Partly because of the close relationship with Tom Lemming and ND.

A recent book, Meat Market by Bruce Feldman, had some good info on this. The book is mainly focused on Ole Miss recruiting for one season. Oftentimes, if LSU got involved on a guy, he would suddenly jump on the recruiting rankings as the recruiting analysts would trust LSU's judgment.

ND gets the same treatment to a higher magnitude. So far, I've seen nothing of the Weis regime to dictate they deserve that respect for their scouting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got ya. I def agree with the Lemming stuff, he is brutal. Also enjoy Feldman stuff and will have to check out the book.

I'm not going to argue with ND being moved up 5 spots unfairly, I was under the initial impression that you were saying it was a bigger jump than that.

It pretty much comes down to the fact that Weis will have 3 straight top 10 classes, and the team needs to show great improvement next season, and have a team that in the National Title picture in two seasons. There won't be any room for excuses and overly protecting/supporting Weis starting next year, and I don't think that any ND fan would argue with that.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think Sam "Turnstile" Young was a 5-Star, am I right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea and every single program in the country would have loved to have him. But its obviously just because of ND that he was a 5 star recruit..

See this is my whole point with what MT2R said, he makes a point that has a lot of validity i'm sure, and then a Michigan homer will come in and just start throwing out nonsense.

The entire O-line has been beyond awful this year, which has to be put on scheme/coaching. Just because Young has struggled as a true sophmore doesn't mean he wasn't a big time recruit that every major program in the country would have loved to have.

Was Clausen hype purely based on ND influence? Must have been since he struggled as a Frosh. Never mind the fact that Carroll was trying extremely hard to get him, even on the day he committed.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He did really well against Woodley as a true frosh last year. What the heck happened? More time under Weis = decline?

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe he should go back to "training camp" again since that's what Charlie did the last time ND lost 38-0.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea and every single program in the country would have loved to have him. But its obviously just because of ND that he was a 5 star recruit..

See this is my whole point with what MT2R said, he makes a point that has a lot of validity i'm sure, and then a Michigan homer will come in and just start throwing out nonsense.

The entire O-line has been beyond awful this year, which has to be put on scheme/coaching. Just because Young has struggled as a true sophmore doesn't mean he wasn't a big time recruit that every major program in the country would have loved to have.

Was Clausen hype purely based on ND influence? Must have been since he struggled as a Frosh. Never mind the fact that Carroll was trying extremely hard to get him, even on the day he committed.

[/ QUOTE ]
Believe me, I'm not trying to contribute in any useful way with these last few posts. I just like making fun of Sam Young.

You should wear an extended-pleasure, they're supposed take away sensitivity.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Believe me, I'm not trying to contribute in any useful way with these last few posts. I just like making fun of Sam Young.

You should wear an extended-pleasure, they're supposed take away sensitivity.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure if you remember back to the first couple weeks you can understand why it gets to you, just extend that feeling for a whole season lol.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But you Washington fans champion Ty as if he is some amazing coach when he is far from that. Its really quite comical seeing all these Husky fans feverishly hating Weiss as a tool to talk up, and make themselves feel better, about their savior of a coach who is incredibly mediocre.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've said he's turned the team around. He has a way to go to be a savior. Now, signing someone who hasn't done anything on the field to a 10 yr contract extension? Who's calling who a savior?

But Ty has come a long way with what he's done in comparison to what he got to work with when he first got here. Even some Husky fans forget that.

I can't say the same for Weiss. I don't hate Weiss. I hate ND and their kool-aid drinking, whining fans. I hate hearing how great he is when he hasn't done anything. He came close to beating USC, yay. So did Pat Hill that same year, except that was AT USC. I also reflect the hate and whining aimed at Ty.

I don't hear Husky fans making excuses for their losses by blaming everything that goes wrong on other coaches. Sorry, but Weiss is far from even a mediocre coach at this point.

b
Old 10-25-2007, 12:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do you and Bernie call him Weiss?

[/ QUOTE ]

Who?

b
Old 10-25-2007, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There won't be any room for excuses and overly protecting/supporting Weis starting next year,

[/ QUOTE ]

There really isn't anything but coaching to explain how abysmal and uncompetetive they are this year. I can't really see any reason TO overprotect/support him. He hasn't done anything. When he does, I'll credit him for it. Like how he's breaking all the ND records for ineptitude.

b
Old 10-25-2007, 01:08 AM

thx to deadspin for this info:

Some folks are doing the math on the first 33 games of each coach's Irish tenure, and it's doesn't look good for Mr. Weis.

They each logged 20-13 records and were both 0-3 against USC. Then it gets really interesting. Record vs. Michigan: Willingham (2-1) and Weis (1-2). Point Differential vs. Michigan: Willingham (-28) and Weis (-57). Record vs. ranked opponents: Willingham (7-8) and Weis (4-8).
Old 10-25-2007, 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He hasn't done anything. When he does, I'll credit him for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

We know he can coach, he went 10-3 his first year. (Oh, I'm sorry, he went 9-3, that was some other guy who went 10-3.)

Also, you should give him credit for being 1-7, a home dog to Navy, and getting a puff piece passed on the AP wire by a fellow alum. That is skillz.

(Elsewhere I asked why you called Weis, Weiss-- apparently it is inadvertent typoe.)