Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2007, 12:07 PM

Default Re: Why are Las Vegas cabbies so weird about tips?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i want it both ways? whatever dude, what's so unreasonable about wanting to pay for what i get?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why didn't you order a car service then if you don't want to tip? Because you're a cheapo who enjoys stiffing the cabbie on his tip. You know that taxi drivers get tips, just like waitresses do, don't like tipping you can also take bus, monorail, rent a car, car service, etc.

But you go out of your way to take the one method where tips are expected, that the gov't will tax the service provider whether or not you tip him/her, tip poorly [or not at all for some in this thread], and then sob about the mean ol' cabbie afterwards like Susie Shortstuff who lost her My Little Pony Pink Princess edition in a house fire.

So, yeah, keep fightin' the good fight against those balla millionaire cab-drivers who provide you with good service. [Bad service is an entirely different issue, of course.] But don't be surprised if you brag about what a cheap nit you are, and then some people call you on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

you have no idea. do yourself a favor and STFU.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you're a cheap nit on this issue, you're bragging about it publicly, if you don't want to tip cabbies don't take a cab. Simple, so YSTFU now.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
also you know why the cabbies don't prefer a flat rate?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because by law they have to charge per distance traveled??

Are you really this stupid, or ignorant about how taxis work in cities, or just leveling with your retardedness?

'NEVADA TAXI CAB AUTHORITY
Seal of Nevada
TAXICAB FARES AND FEES
Sixteen taxicab companies service the Las Vegas valley. When you enter a taxicab, the driver will start the taximeter (referred to as the “drop”) and an initial charge of $3.20 will register. If a taxi ride originates at McCarran International Airport, an additional airport surcharge of $1.20 per trip is added to the taximeter. After the initial “drop”, the taximeter will assess a fare of $2.20 per mile ($.20 for each 1/11th of a mile traveled)...'

[ QUOTE ]

but what happens when people tip too much? do they report the extra to the IRS? i have a hunch the answer is no.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, you are a 1-man band to undertip all cabdrivers for the supposed tax evasion of a few ['take me where i want to go. maybe if there's a girl in the back to give me a bj i will tip']? Wow, that's totally reasonable, I can't believe everyone on this thread doesn't support you since you're such a Hero!

Why not just turn them into the IRS and collect the 30% reward money for unpaid taxes while you're at it?
Old 06-27-2007, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I haven't even thought of tipping a hotel maid before. How do you do it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people tip daily, I tip on leaving. Put it in an envelope and leave it on the bedside table, or just leave it under your pillow for them to find as they make the bed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just leave reds/greens next to the bed depending on how many days I've been there on the last day. 3 days x $5 per = $15 or 3 red chips.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I took a taxi from MGM to Paris and the driver took some back street and we got there super quick and the fare was like 7$, so I was preparded to give him a nice tip. I then hand him a $20 and he fumbles through his money and hands me what appears to be 3 or 4 1-dollar bills and says "Is that good enough?" I respond by telling him just to give me my change and i'll figure out how much to tip. Not that I wouldn't ever tip that well, but the fact that he decided to take his own tip kinda bothered me. He then fumbles through his wad of cash and finds 1 more 1-dollar bill and says "this is all i have for change". I was pretty hot about this but I was already late for dinner at the Eifle Tower restaraunt(which is awsome btw)and I'm too lazy to go and get change BUT I REALLY wanted to come back and stiff the guy. In general, 80%+ vegas cabbies are d-bags.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is excactly my experience 65%+ of the time, and that's what turns me off about the whole cabbie situation.

If you're in the cab driving business you make sure you start your day with plenty of change--that includes ones, fives, tens, etc, and even coins. If you don't have the correct change then you (the cab driver) run into the business you just stopped at and get change.

Going through this rigamaroll of pretending not to have change, fumbling around, and asking for a tip just doesn't cut it in my book.

I've never tipped anyone in my life who asked for a tip. It just isn't done.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:28 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i am still shocked that the dealer for the farha/aba matchup in bobbys room and wrote about how they didnt tip her on her blog has a job. She should have been fired the next morning imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

link plz

[/ QUOTE ]

link
Old 06-27-2007, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why not just turn them into the IRS and collect the 30% reward money for unpaid taxes while you're at it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd much rather turn them in for their deliberate long-hauling and, in many cases, flagrantly unsafe driving practices. To quote the old gamblers, the vast majority of cabbies in LV are so crooked, they need to screw on their pants.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Are you really this stupid, or ignorant about how taxis work in cities, or just leveling with your retardedness?

[/ QUOTE ]

i didn't mean a flat charge to go anywhere, i meant just add in the "tip" into the cost of the service. some % or something. i thought that would be obvious to anyone who could read, but you also apparently missed the part where i said i tip everyone basically, probably more than is customary, and i am far from a cheap person.

but.. nevermind, i don't expect you to comprehend what was written.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:57 PM

Sci,

I leave $2-5/day, more if the room is messy. I also leave all accumulated change as well on the last day. I prefer leaving it every day, since you don't always get the same maid for your whole stay. Leave it on the pillow or in the bathroom. Write "Housekeeping, thanks!" or something on a piece of paper and put it under the money - otherwise they will sometimes not take the money.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]i didn't mean a flat charge to go anywhere, i meant just add in the "tip" into the cost of the service.... i tip everyone basically, probably more than is customary, and i am far from a cheap person.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I saw it, I just took your statement:
'take me where i want to go. maybe if there's a girl in the back to give me a bj i will tip' as perhaps a truer indication of reality. Glad to hear that's not the case.

Forgive me for not understanding why you would enjoy the cabby forcibly tacking on an extra 20-25% tip...I mean 'fee', over you voluntarily tipping him 10-20% or whatever amount you prefer.

I tip much more for good service but absolutely reserve the right to tip less or goose egg someone for horrid service. Rare, but it happens to all of us.

Not surprisingly, most of us get better service when tipping is voluntary instead of the 'automatic tips' you describe being included. Many people on this thread have bitched about the auto 15-20% tip for horrid service for parties of 6 or 8 at a restaurant, etc.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:33 PM

from age 16-26, i worked for tips. i was a waitress at restaurants, a cocktail waitress at a bar, a bartender, and a poker dealer. back then, i overtipped to a ridiculous degree. i am still a good tipper, though admittedly, not as good as i was back then. i guess since 7 years have passed, i have sort of forgotten how it was.

when i was a waitress, never once did i ask if they wanted change. to me, that seems wrong and way too presumptuous and it mildly annoys me.

i also do not agree with tipping well no matter what the service is like. i tip according to service. i rarely stiff, but i will if i feel it's justified. i only will if they have a very bad additude, not if they are just busy or if there are problems beyond their control. too often, i feel that service industry workers do not treat customers as they should be treated.

i once had a vegas cab driver complain about asking for a 5 back on a 12 dollar ride when i gave her a 20. i then said, actually, give me back all of my change. NEVER have i given in and given a bigger tip after they are so rude and unprofessional, and if they do, i dont give them a penny.
not once in the decade i worked in the service industry, did i complain about a tip to the customer. there is no excuse for it.