Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2007, 09:46 AM

Default Re: New England Patriots vs. New York Jets thread

i think the Pats could go back to the superbowl again they have been the team of the 2000's just like the chicago bulls of the the 90's.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thremp,

It's very close.

O-line
QB

CB

FB
DT

Thats how I would rank it because that is as close as it can be. But, QB's about 50% of the time only hand the ball off which is simple steps. If you are talking about knowing routes, well when you call a play it tells you the routes in the play the majority of the time. If cl8on were around he could answer the question about QB-WR's better, because he is a WR coach at JMU.

I just can't give it to the QB because his involvement is only 50% of the plays. Are they the most important player? Yes, they are. But I just don't see it as most difficult. Hell, alot of QB's even in the NFL, get their audibles from the sidelines, or it's an automatic check depending on the defense's call. There are few QB's that have the complete reigns to an offense.

It could be fanboyism, but it is just my opinion. That and QB's do nothing in practice other than practice their steps, we have to hit on every play, does that count for anything?

[/ QUOTE ]

disagree with most of this. QB's need to know where every single guy on the offense is on every play. no other position is like this. also, even on running plays that are audibled to, the QB needs to recognize the D and make the appropriate call; it's not just an automatic check.

also, positions like C and LT are mentally harder to play than the others.

now, there are certainly "dumbed down" offenses out there that ask and require the QB to do much less than in other offenses. but these QB's still do more than any other player.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The argument isn't about value its about difficulty to play. You see, as hard as it might be for some people to understand sometimes, there is actual physical activity involved in football. It isn't all sitting at a computer and manipulating statistics.

[/ QUOTE ]

Full backs have less value because they're -- gee, this is revolutionary -- used less often. Yeah, it's exceedingly difficult to play a position that has a depreciated role.

lollerskates @ desperate cheap shot

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a lame cheap shot. But also lollerskates @ you for not admitting that you misunderstood the conversation and that your points about value werent especially relevant.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Full backs have less value because they're -- gee, this is revolutionary -- used less often. Yeah, it's exceedingly difficult to play a position that has a depreciated role.

[/ QUOTE ]

This might sound revolutionary to you but the fact that they are used less often is because of the difficulty of the position and the fact that there have not been many marquee FB's coming out of college recently. Mack Strong and Mike Alstott make huge contributions to their teams. Same with Lorenzo Neal. Jaguars were at a clear disadvatage on certain run downs due to their injury to Greg Jones in the preseason.

If you want to learn some, look at the impact that Brian Leonard will have on the team he goes to next year. Mastering the skills of running/recieving/pass blocking/rush blocking is not easy. I'll say it again, the reason the position isn't what it used to be is mostly due to the fact that the talent may just not be there. Fullbacks are very important pieces to the offenses that use them and the offenses that don't use them wish they could.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:13 PM

KBZ,

Fair enough, pointing out the obvious actually makes me look dumb. I guess I was a little blinded by my favoritism to the O-line, but you and Thremp put me in my place. But I would still say that O-line is then second most difficult position on the field, clearly after the QB.

I guess I just don't appreciate the QB as much due to the fact that I don't really see them doing much on the field everyday with me, but alot must go threw their heads and its most likely a steep learning curve from NCAA to NFL.