Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2007, 05:29 PM

Default Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows discussion thread (SPOILERS)

plus polyjuice has the downside of taking a month to make, only lasting one hour, and needing a constant supply of the person's hair
Old 08-02-2007, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this book needed more plot-integral hermione nude scenes IMO

I thought the epilogue was purposefully sparse to allow the fans to imagine what happens while purposefully closing the door on anyone else writing a sequel.

JK Rowling is a smart woman

[/ QUOTE ]

I just finished the book. I disagree with those who say that the door is closed for any other Harry Potter books. There is plenty that we don't know about his life, not to mention many other characters, and a whole magic world that stories could be written about.

I'm not predicting more books, just saying that it is possible.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
plus polyjuice has the downside of taking a month to make, only lasting one hour, and needing a constant supply of the person's hair

[/ QUOTE ]

Well... that part kind of disappeared in the last book.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It kind of makes you wonder what his motivation was for joining the Death Eaters. His worst memory was of calling Lily a mudblood and he had another memory where he told her there was no difference between muggle-born wizards and pure-blooded ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the impression was not so much his belief in pure-blooded-ness as the fact that he wanted to fit in with the tough gang. So he started parroting their beliefs.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:25 PM

I think there's a lot of hindsight bias going on. The guys saying it was 'blatantly obvious' that snape was good in the first 6 books, can you quote yourself saying that before DH came out?

I also don't really get how people pick snape as their fav character in the first few books. Isn't he just an [censored] most of the time? I'm going to have to reread them again some time I guess. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-02-2007, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think there's a lot of hindsight bias going on. The guys saying it was 'blatantly obvious' that snape was good in the first 6 books, can you quote yourself saying that before DH came out?

[/ QUOTE ]

On 2p2, no.

But to friends, most certainly. I believe I discussed this with both JoA and duron.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:27 PM

yeah, I was leaning toward Snape being somewhere in the middle.

Plus, the idea of Snape loving Lily pretty much common knowledge even before book 6.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah, I was leaning toward Snape being somewhere in the middle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I remember you saying that. Whether or not Snape was "good" or "in the middle" is probably debatable. Basically, I thought it was clear that Snape didnt 'kill' dumbledore, and that "Severus, please" meant he was asking him to kill him.

fwiw, off the top of my head, there were several things that snape did that really, to me, shed light on his character being "good":

- DD never tells us why he trusts snape; the fact this was saved for a reveal in book 7, to me, meant it was going to be important, and I feel that is more likely to happen if that reason turns out to be correct

- the conversation between snape and DD that Hagrid overhears (whenever Hagrid says "i shouldnt have told you that" it turned out to be important before that) where snape didnt want to do something

- the twich during the unbreakable vow - thoughout the series, twitching/stuff just like this was used less as a red herring than for plot important nervousness or tells

- In OotP, Snape saves Harry by sending the order to the ministry...Snape had to put several clues together to warn the order; if he fails to warn the order, Harry goes to Voldy, and the order wouldnt think twice about it, since Snape has to put together a cryptic one liner harry says in front of umbridge that could easily be seen as unintelligible

- Snape has several chances to kill Harry in HBP, but doesnt; yes, Voldy wants to do it himself, but I dont think he would mind if he stuns Harry, and brings him to him. Beyond that Snape saves harry from death eaters (im honestly suprised voldy didnt know snape wasnt on his side)

- Snape doesnt kill anyone during the death eater raid; he stuns teachers. Just doesnt feel like a death eater.

If what Dynasty says is correct, and the fan base was split evenly on the snape is good thing, Im surprised. I thought that a close read, especially if you read them more than once, gave a LOT of clues to snape being good.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Finally, what exact role did the Deathly Hallows actually play? Besides the elder wand backfiring and owning Vold the other two didn't do anything. Was it just to teach Harry not to fear death?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think the whole story parallels the tale of the three brothers. Voldemort is the brother who took the wand. Dumbledore is the brother who took the stone. And Harry is the brother who took the cloak. Just as in the story, Voldemort and Dumbledore failed to conquer death but Harry kind of succeeded.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really like this - very smart thinking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweet, I never thought of it. Doesn't fit perfectly but pretty close. I'd like to hear JKR's take on it.

JKR once gave an interview where if IIRC she was shocked by Snape's popularity when she first got on the internet, and attributed it mainly to Alan Rickman's performance & appearance in the movies. He does kind of resemble Trent Reznor, IMO.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

IIRC, it is revealed in book 3 that james had the stag before he started dating lilly, like 5th year or something. (perhaps not necessarily stated, but implied)

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I don't think Jame's stag is ever explicitly stated ever. His animagus form was definitely a stag and that's why Harry's patronus was a stag.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, perhaps. I flipped through PoA, but couldnt find any explicit mention of his patronus.

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone else may have mentioned his Marauders name was Prongs, so that's pretty obvious IMO. JKR hardly spoonfed everything.