Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2007, 12:41 PM

Default Re: aba caught bluffing against bobby baldwin in 1.8mil pot

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know Johnny Hughes' history but I get the impression he knows very little about the actual play of poker.

Saying that trying to bluff at Bobby was 'an ego thing' and that Brian decided to it before the hand started is frankly stupid.
I still can't get over that you think that as disciplined a player as Brian, in PLO of all games (where blind aggression is truly suicidal), would decide BEFORE the hand to run a bluff on Bobby.

[/ QUOTE ]

Taken straight from Brian's blog: "In the hand against Bobby I decided I was going to bluff right from the get go..."

Why don't people read before they spout off?

Also, Johnny Hughes... Brian was not all-in on the river. In his first post he said, "I don't even know how much I ended down since I just had the poker room manager rack up for me" which was right after that hand.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:15 PM

Just throwing out some wild theories here as to why BB flatcalled the nuts:

It's possible Bobby made a value judgement between shoving for his last $200k or whatever and sending aba off in a huff vs. playing nice and maybe winning the rest of his stack a few hands later. If so - unfortunately for him aba was smart enough to get up and leave anyway.

Or maybe he just likes aba and didn't want to show him up.

Or maybe flatcalling shows aba up even more.

No matter what it's an interesting play that very few would make. And I think we can almost guarantee it wasn't a misread on BB's part.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

to the guy with the moronic crap about the richest people in the world all being "arabs," man you are dumb. what's great is your stupidity is cemented either if your post is your honest opinion, or if it's what you think of as some great "level."

[/ QUOTE ]

All the oil is in the Middle East. The families that control it's production and the land are the richest people in the world. Let me guess, Forbes says they aren't so it must be true? If Exxon is the most profitable company in the world, what does that say about the people they buy their product from? Do you really think they are just splitting up a couple of billion in profit a year among 10 or 15 families? Have you seen the price of gas lately? Do you really think the price of bringing oil out of the ground has any connection with the rise in price of the commodity? Their costs have remained fixed, yet the price has soared based on demand. Sammy's wealth and extravagance seems to correlate nicely with the rise in the price of oil these last few years.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

to the guy with the moronic crap about the richest people in the world all being "arabs," man you are dumb. what's great is your stupidity is cemented either if your post is your honest opinion, or if it's what you think of as some great "level."

[/ QUOTE ]

All the oil is in the Middle East. The families that control it's production and the land are the richest people in the world. Let me guess, Forbes says they aren't so it must be true? If Exxon is the most profitable company in the world, what does that say about the people they buy their product from? Do you really think they are just splitting up a couple of billion in profit a year among 10 or 15 families? Have you seen the price of gas lately? Do you really think the price of bringing oil out of the ground has any connection with the rise in price of the commodity? Their costs have remained fixed, yet the price has soared based on demand. Sammy's wealth and extravagance seems to correlate nicely with the rise in the price of oil these last few years.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is standard Jewish conspiracy theory being applied to Arabs.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:55 PM

The whole "arab" conversation can stop now.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:16 PM

No [censored]. Is anyone even remotely interested in discussing why BB would smoothcall the nuts?
Old 07-17-2007, 03:26 PM

um its more interesting than 99% of the crap in this thread
Old 07-17-2007, 03:32 PM

I know, that's what I mean.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The whole "arab" conversation can stop now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please stop it.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No [censored]. Is anyone even remotely interested in discussing why BB would smoothcall the nuts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

It is possible that Baldwin just called the river because he was so sure of his read, i.e., that BT was on a stone bluff, that he knew that there was no equity in a raise.

So his flat call basically says "this is how sure I am that you're on a bluff, sucka."

I'm not saying that's what happened, although his flat call on the turn in an obvious raise situation lends support to this theory. If this is the actual reason, it's some seriously badass poker from Baldwin.