Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2007, 11:44 PM

Default Re: Why are Las Vegas cabbies so weird about tips?

[ QUOTE ]

Do the pit dealers perfer their tips as bets or as a $$ tip as you leave the table?

I mostly play craps when playing in the pit and generally tip as bets when playing and then throw the dealers any singles or fives I get back after being "colored up".

I generally tip $5.00 an hour, more when winning

[/ QUOTE ]

$25 50-50 yo bet after each hot shooter on the come-out roll. Occasional 50-50 hardways if I'm rolling or the same number keeps hitting repeatedly.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i want it both ways? whatever dude, what's so unreasonable about wanting to pay for what i get?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why didn't you order a car service then if you don't want to tip? Because you're a cheapo who enjoys stiffing the cabbie on his tip. You know that taxi drivers get tips, just like waitresses do, don't like tipping you can also take bus, monorail, rent a car, car service, etc.

But you go out of your way to take the one method where tips are expected, that the gov't will tax the service provider whether or not you tip him/her, tip poorly [or not at all for some in this thread], and then sob about the mean ol' cabbie afterwards like Susie Shortstuff who lost her My Little Pony Pink Princess edition in a house fire.

So, yeah, keep fightin' the good fight against those balla millionaire cab-drivers who provide you with good service. [Bad service is an entirely different issue, of course.] But don't be surprised if you brag about what a cheap nit you are, and then some people call you on it.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

For real though, my experience is that for such a tip-hustling culture vegas has pretty much the worst service in general of anywhere Ive ever been.

[/ QUOTE ]

AMEN.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only people I know who think this way about LV are bad tippers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to be a great tipper in Vegas until I realized that I felt like a sucker, bc the service I was getting was nowhere near the amount I was tipping.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:12 AM

daryn,

"what's so unreasonable about wanting to pay for what i get? oh wow the cab didn't explode. wow, i got to my destination in one piece! we didn't even kill any pedestrians! kudos to you oh taxi driver! let me rain tips upon you."

WTF? I mean, do you tip at restaurants when you get the food you ordered served to you in a reasonable manner in a reasonable amount of time? Do you tip a poker dealer when dealt hands exactly as they are expected to?

If you tip waitresses and poker dealers, it makes no sense to me why you would feel differently about cab drivers.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:31 AM

I took a taxi from MGM to Paris and the driver took some back street and we got there super quick and the fare was like 7$, so I was preparded to give him a nice tip. I then hand him a $20 and he fumbles through his money and hands me what appears to be 3 or 4 1-dollar bills and says "Is that good enough?" I respond by telling him just to give me my change and i'll figure out how much to tip. Not that I wouldn't ever tip that well, but the fact that he decided to take his own tip kinda bothered me. He then fumbles through his wad of cash and finds 1 more 1-dollar bill and says "this is all i have for change". I was pretty hot about this but I was already late for dinner at the Eifle Tower restaraunt(which is awsome btw)and I'm too lazy to go and get change BUT I REALLY wanted to come back and stiff the guy. In general, 80%+ vegas cabbies are d-bags.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, I completely agree with El Diabolo in this respect: the one group of service people I'm always sure to tip and tip well are hotel maids. They do a [censored] job for [censored] money, work extremely hard and are very poorly rewarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can agree with this. But there are professions that are poorly paid (in many countries), that don't get any tip. Like nurses.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nurses in the UK are health care professionals, educated to at least degree level, who are relatively well paid for what they do.

Though they probably don't earn as much as a cab driver/waiter/bartender in Vegas.

But I don't see it as charity. These women are providing me with a personal service. Picking up my dirty socks and underwear, and scrubbing the scum-ring from around my bath.

If anything deserves a tip, that sort of [censored] does.

That said, I'd prefer they were paid a decent wage and it was factored into the overall bill. Probably because if I were in there shoes, I'd much rather have a guaranteed wage that wasn't dependent on the whim of a bunch of asswipes and make less money, than feel as though I had to be grateful for being paid the fair rate for the job.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I took a cab ride for like a mile last week, fare came to £2.60, I only had £3 in change anyway and handed it to the guy, he starts digging around to give me my 40p change. Obv I say no keep that and thats the way it should be.

Give me back ALL my change, I'll decide whether or not you EARNED your tip.

Cabbies need to accept the variance of their profession. Sometimes you'll get no tip, sometimes a massive tip, don't complain when you get a small tip or you'll get nothing at all. Cabbies need to understand the arrangement of their profession.

[/ QUOTE ]
That reminds me of catching a cab for £3, I had £5 on me, told him to keep the change and he insisted he give me some change as the tip was too much...
Old 06-27-2007, 08:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Gamble: My point was simply that you can always tip more in just about any circumstance. And that's fine. It seems weird to me that you accept the standard of $1/winning hand that has developed for tipping poker dealers and don't think that is cheap, but feel like the standard that many people use for cabbies is cheap. People like Nate aren't tipping what they tip to cabbies because they are cheap, they are doing that because it has developed as an acceptable standard when it comes to tipping cabbies in America.

[/ QUOTE ]
Slightly off topic: Was once playing live (very drunk). One player kept berating the dealer over some side-pot issue the dealer got right and the player was completely clueless about. I ended up defending the dealer as I like arguing with the easily-tiltable when I'm drunk. About five minutes later I stack him when he bluff pushes into my set. I tipped the dealer his entire stack (about $100), and kept my half of it. I was kind of hoping it'd tilt him so much that he'd sit back down, but sadly not...
Old 06-27-2007, 08:30 AM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?

I didn't realize cab drivers make rely on their tips for a living in the poker delears and restaurant servers do until this thread. Do they?
Old 06-27-2007, 08:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i want it both ways? whatever dude, what's so unreasonable about wanting to pay for what i get?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why didn't you order a car service then if you don't want to tip? Because you're a cheapo who enjoys stiffing the cabbie on his tip. You know that taxi drivers get tips, just like waitresses do, don't like tipping you can also take bus, monorail, rent a car, car service, etc.

But you go out of your way to take the one method where tips are expected, that the gov't will tax the service provider whether or not you tip him/her, tip poorly [or not at all for some in this thread], and then sob about the mean ol' cabbie afterwards like Susie Shortstuff who lost her My Little Pony Pink Princess edition in a house fire.

So, yeah, keep fightin' the good fight against those balla millionaire cab-drivers who provide you with good service. [Bad service is an entirely different issue, of course.] But don't be surprised if you brag about what a cheap nit you are, and then some people call you on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

you have no idea. do yourself a favor and STFU.