Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2007, 05:29 PM

Default Re: Several Hotshots Supposedly Broke Or In Debt

[ QUOTE ]
What does trolling a thread mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

Making outrageous posts for the sole purpose of upsetting people. Generally, the victims aren't supposed to know you aren't serious.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:34 PM

My Question is, why does JS bring in all this mumbo jumbo that has nothing to do with the OP?

Like David is an underachiever, David hates teaching, David only cares about money, David only likes the spotlight, David folded a hand LOL what a nit, his threads are not high quality, etc...

IDK either of you well, but I see no reason to bring this to this thread. Even if BB is a close friend of yours.

BTW, I will say while the OP may have been useless to mid/highstakes players who are in the "loop", you should realize that 2+2 is a much broader audience. I play nl30 on FT, so to me, while the OP is very vague, it does reveal things that I did not know about/was naive about.

BTW, I feel stupid for defending David b/c IMO there is no reason to. But Strass, if you know he has a lazy style of posting (as you say in Finance section) why does this post surprise you so much? I mean if David's style is known, you are pretty much expecting a certain thing.

Last detail; about david posting occasionally to bring traffic on this site or whatever; This is load. 2+2, last time I checked is the 70th largest forum on net. The type of traffic it gets from back links, google PR is prolly a hundred times more (if not more) effective/efficient than him making a thread/post.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
pye: Yes, Strassa was the guy who did well in the ME early, but could not come through when it really mattered. Instead, his friend and mentor Doug "The Closer" Kim stepped up and showed how a champion performs in the late stages of a tourney.

Doug: I have talked to Jason multiple times about his attitude this year and I keep telling him that if he takes advantage of mentoring from you, he'd have a real shot at doing well in a big tourney. Hopefully he realizes what a great opportunity it is for him to know a closer like you and steps up for the ME this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Link to the cause of this sarcasm plz?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, what is this closer talk anyway? are you referring to my comment on why i wore mariano's jersey at the FT?
Old 05-31-2007, 09:59 PM

This might help some posters:

Here an estimate of the overall record of Andy Beal vs several players HU. It was compiled from the book "Professor..." and posted in
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...page=&vc=1
vs.
Chip Reese + 8 Million
Gus Hansen + 4 Million
Chau Giang + 2.3 Million, plus 1 unknown loss
Barry G. + 2 Million, plus unknown win
Doyle + 1.2 Million
John Hennigan + 1 Million
Johnny Chan + $500,000
Hamid D. even
Phil Ivey even
David Grey unknown loss
Jen Harman - $250,000
Tedd Forrest - 4.3 Million
Todd B. - 5 Million, plus 1 huge loss
Howard L. - 15.8 Million, plus 2 unknown losses
(1 said to be huge)

So the winners vs. Beal were Harman, Forrest, Brunson, and Lederer. So the OP was likely referring to one of these four. I'm not sure which one. More than one might be "busto".
Old 05-31-2007, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Strasser is this Duke undergrad who thinks he knows everything. He used to always flame my posts on the MTT forum, so at least I am in good company.

With Strasser and Sklansky you have two Gods in conflict, so it gets kind of nasty with thunderbolts being hurled right and left.

[/ QUOTE ]

Betgo --

To the best of my knowledge, every competent MTTer has flamed your posts. Your tone is really misplaced in reference to a guy like Strasser, who is far from a know-it-all and even farther from being the sort of guy who deserves a curt negative judgment like this.

--Nate

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe he was right to flame me, but he expressed things very strongly and like he was absolutely right. It is not a criticism of Strasser, but he came accross as very talented, but a little know it all. Sklansky is very brilliant and aware of it. He writes great books and comes across like he is the authority. It is not a criticism of either, but I thought the analogy of two Gods throwing thunderbolts was apt.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:24 PM

Default Re: THANKS DAVE, THE MOST IMPORTANT THING YOU EVER WROTE....

[ QUOTE ]
nininchal, i think the reason youd rather be a 1/2 grinder instead of a named player on the verge of bustoing is because you have a life away from poker. i would make the contention that most famous players dont have a life away from poker. poker is their life. this kind of trait is one of the dominating reasons why people succeed in their ambitions, and its also one of the dominating reasons why poker players often end up broke. they make their ambitions their life. when being the best at poker is your aspiration, it can become quite easy to move up before youre ready to, because you want to get there so bad. its why people play underrolled and its why people refuse to move down. they want to progress, and to them, thats almost more important than the money. afterall, the word security to these players doesnt hold the weight that it may to you. they may have never had a job and plan to never have one in the future. they dont know what its like to not be able to pay their bills. paying their bills has never been an issue because they make so much more than their monthly nut. because of this, their objective in poker isnt to make ends meet, its to climb new heights.

[/ QUOTE ]

yup.. i read this and thought of myself instantly.. its a double edged sword for many players. you either have 110% drive to play constantly and play your best, and others are more casual about it and are content with where they are at.. and when i say content i do not mean they are fine with the limits they play, but the satisfaction of a secure poker life.

satisfaction is the death of desire, but sometimes desire can be the death
Old 06-01-2007, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
pye: Yes, Strassa was the guy who did well in the ME early, but could not come through when it really mattered. Instead, his friend and mentor Doug "The Closer" Kim stepped up and showed how a champion performs in the late stages of a tourney.

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO wow pure hilarity gg diablo
Old 06-01-2007, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
At the very least, it seems fairly common knowledge that BB is known to often open all-in blind for like 50k in a mid-limit NL game(5-10 or so).

[/ QUOTE ]
He moves all in for $50K in an NL game with 5-10 blinds? As in open pushing with a 5000 BB stack? haha WTF. Is this in live uncapped games or what?

I'm assuming other people in those games don't have stacks anywhere near that big to have to risk so much to call him?

Anyways I've heard interviews with Brad Booth and he sounds a bit brain dead. There was an interview with him on the Rounders podcast trying to explain his huge bluff against Ivey and he basically said that he did it because he wanted to be feared and respected. Just from the way he talks you can tell that he's not very well educated though. I'm not saying that means that he's not an great poker player, but he sure doesn't sound like an articulate and smart person like Greenstein does.

[/ QUOTE ]

I played $25/50 with him this past summer at the Bellagio...he sat down with a ton of cash, probably about $400K or so. He went all in the first hand, some shortstack called him for about $5K or so. Brad asked him if he had a made hand, guy said "yes." Brad offered him $3K to both muck their cards, guy agreed.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
At the very least, it seems fairly common knowledge that BB is known to often open all-in blind for like 50k in a mid-limit NL game(5-10 or so).

[/ QUOTE ]
He moves all in for $50K in an NL game with 5-10 blinds? As in open pushing with a 5000 BB stack? haha WTF. Is this in live uncapped games or what?

I'm assuming other people in those games don't have stacks anywhere near that big to have to risk so much to call him?

Anyways I've heard interviews with Brad Booth and he sounds a bit brain dead. There was an interview with him on the Rounders podcast trying to explain his huge bluff against Ivey and he basically said that he did it because he wanted to be feared and respected. Just from the way he talks you can tell that he's not very well educated though. I'm not saying that means that he's not an great poker player, but he sure doesn't sound like an articulate and smart person like Greenstein does.

[/ QUOTE ]

I played $25/50 with him this past summer at the Bellagio...he sat down with a ton of cash, probably about $400K or so. He went all in the first hand, some shortstack called him for about $5K or so. Brad asked him if he had a made hand, guy said "yes." Brad offered him $3K to both muck their cards, guy agreed.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, bigstackaments. Also the guy with the made hand sucks at negotiating. He couldve got $4000 had he put up a fight.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:10 PM

Default Re: THANKS DAVE, THE MOST IMPORTANT THING YOU EVER WROTE....

[ QUOTE ]
TStone's points are well made (except for his comment about NL already dying).
I've earned a middle class Southern California income on 800 hours a year for a decade now. None of you have heard of me and that's fine. I play so far beneath my BR if I even got half way to broke I'd quit because I'd have to assume I was unknowingly having mental health problems. I have a wife and kids and home and free time to read and study, yet will NEVER be recognized as a poker stud. NEVER. Because I don't gamble, and tourneys are gambling and high stakes games are gambling.
And it isn't just that some (many? most?) players crave fame and fortune. I think they also crave the big losses. Me, I can't have a big (relative to BR) loss anymore, and I like that. It's another quality of life issue to me. I don't like that punched-in-the-gut feeling. But, obviously, to many players, the big downs are just part of the roller coaster ride, maybe (sickly) the most fun part.

I once had a young player, a good player, too, tell me (not meanly) that I didn't play higher because I was scared. I didn't deny it. I am scared to lose a lot of money. But I did manage to get him to understand that his craving to player higher was also a fear, a fear that maybe he was passing up a chance to make a lot of money and get famous and all that.

But then again, because he didn't have the wife, kids and mortage payment thing going on like me, going broke was an option.

[/ QUOTE ]

good post overall, but you're going to have to explain to me why playing tournaments with entry fees well within proper bankroll management is any more gambling than cash games.