All-in 7 43.75%
Fold 8 50.00%
Call 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 11:03 PM

Default Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

[ QUOTE ]
in the clubs they have amazing music and layouts and lighting and all of that...BUT NO DANCE FLOOR! It drives me insane! In RCA for instance, there are like four of the best clubs I have ever been to all in a row...gorgeous Thai college students jam packed in all of them, but you can't dance with them! Thai people are so shy that the whole club is just little tables that all the Thai people stand around and giggle and smile at each other.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm.........they would probably react like the groups of fat chicks (typically come in three's) at clubs do when Jenn and I are bumping and grinding (i.e. they piss n' moan and get all upset cause they ain't getting any)

Or, at least, we'd feel awkward being the only people bumping n' grinding (we don't necessarily need a dance floor to dance like this). It would just be weird if everyone was just watching us.

[ QUOTE ]

The one place in Bangkok I really like going that does have a great dance floor is the Bed and Supper Club on Sukumvit Soi 11. Seriously my favorite club in the world, and I've been to a few.

The club is split into two halves, this half has two floors of bed's that you can lay on and have drinks while listeing to music and watching people dance in the middle of the room. The second half is a pretty standard large dance floor. Problem for you is that it is mostly Techno, though I love that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the lengthy response and awesome info. It's not that we don't like techno music, but it all tends to sound the same after awhile and we don't pop E so it's hard to be jumping around all night (and we're closer to 30 than we are to 20)

I can do a mean running man, but I need a good 10-20 square feet of space so nobody gets hurt. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-28-2006, 11:08 PM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 09-28-2006, 11:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

There would be nowhere to do it, not in the popular clubs. They are packed with Thai people. Like PACKED.

Ratchida area in Bangkok would probably be your best bet, you could get your own table at Hollywood bar or one of the bigger places and probably dance at your table. You'll see when you get over, its just a bit different than america...tho still really fun.

Regarding music type, you'll find lots of clubs with rap or whatever kind of music you want.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm........good point, I keep forgetting there's something silly like 4 million people in Bangkok?

Well, thanks for the info. We've got the Foxwoods trip late next month, so probably won't be planning a vacation to Thailand unless I hit big in a tourney or something.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:32 PM

Oh man, just finished reading everything.

Degen, how is the golf around there? Also, have you been playing for long?

I play to a 13ish handicap and am addicted to golf (among other things).
Old 09-28-2006, 11:33 PM

What is the approximate cost to buy a ballin' house in one of the nicer parts of the country?
Old 09-28-2006, 11:40 PM

Buy a house?

Well if you look at the fancy glossy magazines you can buy a nice house in bangkok for like 200k and up. Places like samui you have to pay 3-4x as much.

My friend got 40 acers on a small island in the south for less then $20,000 and had the house built himself for like $50,000. If you contract all the work yourself you save a ton but it is a lot of work and most people dont want to deal with all of that.

If your looking for general ideas and what rent costs check out www.MrRoomFinder.com to get an idea. But the best way to find a place to rent is to rent a motorbike and drive around. Thats when you find all of the deals that thais are renting but dont put online.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:44 PM

do you have to get a liscence to drive a car/motorcycle? Is it difficult to learn what all of their signs mean?
Old 09-28-2006, 11:49 PM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 09-28-2006, 11:55 PM

Cool thread, skimmed through some of it, seems that most are salivating. Was there a few years back and also had an incredible time. Only downside was the smell of bkk and the polution (air and water), though Phukett was spectacular.

If some of you are interested, craigslist has rental listings http://bangkok.craigslist.org/apa/
Old 09-29-2006, 12:25 AM

Bill- thanks a lot for this thread; I'm ready to head over for a fairly extended visit as soon as school/finances permit.
Closed Thread