Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2007, 08:23 AM

Default Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows discussion thread (SPOILERS)

I think what everybody loves about Snape is the mystery behind him. You have this grand battle between DD and Voldy for whose teh most powerful, but as you continue to see Snape evolve, you are just amazed at the development of this character. He appears to be teh third most powerful person in the entire magical world.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think what everybody loves about Snape is the mystery behind him. You have this grand battle between DD and Voldy for whose teh most powerful, but as you continue to see Snape evolve, you are just amazed at the development of this character. He appears to be teh third most powerful person in the entire magical world.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmm you think? I guess he is powerful.

I didn't get that snape was good before book 7. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I guess I never really analyzed things, I just read it.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:01 AM

I have a couple quick questions that I posted on other boards and was curious as to what answers I would get here.

First q is about the horcruxes. Ok, here is the list. Riddle Diary, Gaunt's ring, Slytherin Locket, Hugglepuff Cup, Ravenclaw Diadem, Harry Potter, and nagini. That is seven. Then there is Voldemort himself. That makes eight. However, the night Vold tried to kill Harry he died and a part of his soul attached itself to harry. So how the hell did he come back as that ghost thing in the first book that attached itself to quirell's head. What I mean is this. If Vold is killed his soul is still tethered to Earth cause of the horcruxes but how does one regenerate? Did he use another horcrux? Was their nine total horcurxes?

Also, who initially opened the Chamber of Secrets that killed Moaning Murtle. I was sure it was riddle, but when he confronts Hagrid while Harry is watching through the diary the conversation seems that Riddle really thought Hagrid opened it by mistake. No one was around them so why would he pretend not to know?

Finally, what exact role did the Deathly Hallows actually play? Besides the elder wand backfiring and owning Vold the other two didn't do anything. Was it just to teach Harry not to fear death?
Old 08-02-2007, 09:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Finally, what exact role did the Deathly Hallows actually play? Besides the elder wand backfiring and owning Vold the other two didn't do anything. Was it just to teach Harry not to fear death?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think the whole story parallels the tale of the three brothers. Voldemort is the brother who took the wand. Dumbledore is the brother who took the stone. And Harry is the brother who took the cloak. Just as in the story, Voldemort and Dumbledore failed to conquer death but Harry kind of succeeded.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:31 AM

Damn I like that a lot. I certainly didn't give it that much thought.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think the whole story parallels the tale of the three brothers. Voldemort is the brother who took the wand. Dumbledore is the brother who took the stone. And Harry is the brother who took the cloak. Just as in the story, Voldemort and Dumbledore failed to conquer death but Harry kind of succeeded.

[/ QUOTE ]

But Harry didn't really choose the cloak, did he? He wanted the stone when they discussed the tale at Lovegood's house. And Dumbledore took the wand first, right?
Old 08-02-2007, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But Harry didn't really choose the cloak, did he? He wanted the stone when they discussed the tale at Lovegood's house. And Dumbledore took the wand first, right?

[/ QUOTE ]
He did choose the cloak as the only Hallow he would keep in the end. And I didn't really mean it literally anyways. More that I thought the themes and symbolism of the book seems to fit well with the tale of the three brothers. IMO anyways. Like Voldemort's greedily going after the invincible wand, or Dumbledore feeling grief over his sister and wanting to bring her back with the stone.

Dumbledore took the wand first, but he admits that it was the only hallow he was fit to wield. He didn't use the wand for it's power. Once he got hold of the stone, it brought about his downfall. It doesn't fit perfectly but I don't think it's a coincidence that these parallels can be made.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:41 PM

Yes, but V uses the wand aspiring to harness it's power which leads to his death, DD uses the stone to try to bring back the dead which leads to his death and Harry uses the cloak and lives.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I really like this - very smart thinking.

In regards to Harry not choo-choo-choosing the cloak, it was his birthright. So in a way it's the same thing.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:58 PM

Yeah good points.