Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2007, 11:15 AM

Default Re: Patriots get caught with camera man taping NY Jets coaches playcal

ya there might be no way to police it but im am pretty sure it is against the rules for someone else to pay that fine
Old 09-14-2007, 11:21 AM

I worked in the NHL for a few years before the lockout and I know that this is also true for the NFL, when you are fined, you pay your team and the team pays the league. There are ways to ensure that the violator paid the team and that the team did not directly overpay the contract on file.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ya there might be no way to police it but im am pretty sure it is against the rules for someone else to pay that fine

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course it is against the rules. And of course the fine will be paid at least in part by Kraft. There's so many ways they could get around it.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am certain teams would start getting in line if all they had to give up was a first round draft pick and 250K to win a super bowl. Think about how important it would be to know the other teams defensive plays if only for a few key plays during each game. I think the penalty was way too light.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell me if I misinterepeted your point here which is that Goodell was too lenient, so now other teams are going to blatantly defy the taping rule so they too can win Super Bowls because all it's going to cost them is a first round pick and 250K?
Old 09-14-2007, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
how does this compare to salary cap cheating?

like if this is a 8 on a 1-10 scale whats cheating the cap?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not the most knowledgeable person on the NFL salary cap and doubt anyone else in here is, but I really don't think you can even compare these two things. The NFL allows teams to mortgage future cap space for today, and teams like the Redskins and 49ers have paid dearly for it - but it isn't cheating.

Belichick, on the other hand, committed a flagrant violation of league rules and he knows this. What he did is more embarrassing than if his entire team got busted for substance abuse.

I think Goodell is being very lenient with the Pats, and the team's revenue stream won't skip a beat after all this. A lesser organization (e.g., Detroit Lions) would probably suffer major organizational upheaval that would have everything to do with saving face and nothing to do with any penalty Goodell could enforce.

I'm surprised by how many think Goodell is overreacting. The irony here is the Pats actually stand to lose more if they miss the playoffs and sacrifice their 2nd/3rd round picks. That's how much of a joke this punishment is...

[/ QUOTE ]

They're talking about teams circumventing the salary cap, i.e. signing a player to a 5 yr/$25 mil deal, and giving them $10 mil under the table.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I worked in the NHL for a few years before the lockout and I know that this is also true for the NFL, when you are fined, you pay your team and the team pays the league. There are ways to ensure that the violator paid the team and that the team did not directly overpay the contract on file.

[/ QUOTE ]

can you explain some of these ways?
Old 09-14-2007, 11:43 AM

But what's to stop a team from giving the coach a contract extension next year that includes a $500K signing bonus?

Answering my own question, I don't think there is anything to prevent it. Having said that and being somewhat naive I really believe that in this situation, the Kraft's are going to make Belicheck pay it.

The only way that that would change would be if Belicheck demanded they pay it with a threat that he would quit if they didn't and then the Kraft's would be faced with a real tough decision.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:45 AM

League can audit any teams books at any time when it comes to compensation of players. They can also request an audit of a player through the union. They literally look for either a canceled check to the team or if it's a cash transaction with receipt from the team, the player could be asked to show a withdrawl slip. This information is normally submitted with the payment
Old 09-14-2007, 02:32 PM

I get the feeling that Mangini is about to get owned really hard soon.

Also, what are the chances of BB ratting out other teams that he knows are doing this? Seems like everyone knew about this being a problem but no one reported it. Since the Pats have nothing to lose by being found out at this point, doesn't it make sense to throw the other guys into the fire?
Old 09-14-2007, 02:39 PM

I don't think he'll necessarily say, "here's who else does it", but I think he'll go after teams he plays now, hence my "Belichick will be a nit" comment above. Even Pats fans know he's sort of a dick when it comes to dealing with the league (see: injury report), so he'd do it just to rustle with their feathers. I think the Pats will be filing complaints weekly.