Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2007, 01:54 PM

Default Re: Prop bet thread

[ QUOTE ]
I am not too sure. I would need to know rules, how much time Nick would have to train, surface, how many sets and how much Nick would make on the match to know if it would be worth his time to train enough to win.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nick said he needs 6 months to train, so I proposed a match in February in Las Vegas, best 3 of 5 sets. The old guy chooses surface. I'll lay a small price for best 2 of 3 sets, you'll lay a small price to choose surface.

Haven't heard from Nick yet but I think his post earlier in the thread was serious, so he'll have money on the same side as you. He's already going to be in pretty good shape from his PA weight loss prop.

In terms of action, I probably need to book mid six figures action to put this together, and would require that both sides post bets to a trusted 3rd party. If we promote and sell tickets for this exhibition, loser gets the gate and concessions. Fair enough?
Old 08-06-2007, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm about to bet my cousin 1k that he can't consistently flip a coin and get heads (or tails) 9 times out of 10. He claims he can do this pretty easily. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

If he says he can do it and he has 1k to back it up, I'd also like to bet with you and I'll take his side.

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

am i missing something?
Old 08-06-2007, 03:44 PM

OK Prop bet ruling wrt to my bet with El Diablo and Larry David.

The bet was 225 by August 12th.

I'm 225 right now, but that's after a day where I ended up drinking a ton of water, pissing loads, and basically I know that I'm probably at the bottom end of a swing and if I weigh myself again in the next few days odds are I'll be closer to 227ish.

Have I won the bet? Say we ignore the swing, and I'm 225 and holding for the next 4 days, then then gain a pound, did I win/lose?
Old 08-06-2007, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm about to bet my cousin 1k that he can't consistently flip a coin and get heads (or tails) 9 times out of 10. He claims he can do this pretty easily. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

If he says he can do it and he has 1k to back it up, I'd also like to bet with you and I'll take his side.

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]i'd also take his side for however much money you want.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:52 PM

This is nearly the very first enumeration problem-- using generating functions to look at 0-1 strings. A basic probability course would be fine, too. You need to know how many tosses. (and a good look at the coin)
Old 08-06-2007, 03:54 PM

Dibs,

Simply depends on whether the bet was 225 "on" or "by" that date.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:55 PM

"One of these days in your travels, a guy is going to show you a brand-new deck of cards on which the seal is not yet broken. Then this guy is going to offer to bet you that he can make the jack of spades jump out of this brand-new deck of cards and squirt cider in your ear. But, son, do not accept this bet, because as sure as you stand there, you're going to wind up with an ear full of cider."

-- Sky Masterson, Guys & Dolls
Old 08-06-2007, 03:55 PM

I don't think we ever got that formal, my recollection is "by", but I feel like "on" is more in tune with the spirit of things.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK Prop bet ruling wrt to my bet with El Diablo and Larry David.

The bet was 225 by August 12th.

I'm 225 right now, but that's after a day where I ended up drinking a ton of water, pissing loads, and basically I know that I'm probably at the bottom end of a swing and if I weigh myself again in the next few days odds are I'll be closer to 227ish.

Have I won the bet? Say we ignore the swing, and I'm 225 and holding for the next 4 days, then then gain a pound, did I win/lose?

[/ QUOTE ]

link to original wording of the bet?

if all you had to do was HIT 225 then obv you win.

if you had to BE <225 on the 12th then obv you dont win.

if it wasnt clarified and it was just, 225 by the 12th id say you win. the time constraint is there to give a limit on how long you have to reach the goal, hitting it now and then oging back up isnt really any diff than hitting it on the 12th and then going back up. either way you made it down there.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is nearly the very first enumeration problem-- using generating functions to look at 0-1 strings. A basic probability course would be fine, too. You need to know how many tosses. (and a good look at the coin)

[/ QUOTE ]

It's very possible to learn how to flip a coin to make it land on one side much more often than the other.