Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: When considering hands for low purposes only (and with no qualifier on low) which is the better low
Player A with AA234 30 57.69%
Player B with KK234 22 42.31%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 05:45 PM

Default Re: Dare I say it

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I will also venture to say that people getting left out or small stakes players will strive to be invited to this forum

[/ QUOTE ]

or, they will be so disgusted by the elite nature of the forum that they won't strive to be part of it at all.

some of these smaller stakes players will be future wsop champs. i'd hate to see them posting at p5's or cardplayer because they did not want to 'beg' to be on some special list at 2p2.

last i checked this was a discussion board open to poker players. the lack of further restrictions is what made this place what it is imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I was thinking as well, but I am trying to have an open mind about the invite only method. I think self moderation is key here, and maybe a heavy hand by the mods at first. If a thread is too basic just move it over to MTTs and people will eventually get the idea.

I also don't like how moderators get to choose who can post in a strategy forum. With the EDF, its kinda a tangent forum designed for entertainment. 2+2 is about poker and the strategy forums shouldn't have those type of "gimmick" structures, even though it might actually have a positive result. I think that makes sense. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 05-19-2007, 07:20 PM

I really like the idea of a split in the way that's being proposed...

Excited to see how this might spur some good posts in the orig forum, and very interested in lurking to see what the big brains talk about in the new one...

And I'm a low level guy who lurks a lot more than posts.
Old 05-19-2007, 07:48 PM

Can someone please explain to me why "elitist" is a pejorative in the USA? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

It would be nice to have a specific post for people without posting rights to post hands, the more interesting of which may be posted by mods as separate threads for further discussion.
Old 05-19-2007, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can someone please explain to me why "elitist" is a pejorative in the USA?

[/ QUOTE ]

it is not a USA thing. that's ridiculous. it is specific to this subject.

examples;

1. someone the mods forgot. let's say mike o'malley or paul wasika, has an interesting hand. he comes to post it and sees he has no power to start threads. o'malley laughs at the irony of a poker forum that is essentially read-only and he takes his business elsewhere.

2. making thread starting limited to certain posters means your forum is basically dead on arrival. this first list of 'lucky' posters will account for 100% of the content. pros and HS players that eventually find 2p2 will NEVER submit a resume to TPTB for permission to post. that's an insane concept. all spontaneity will be lost. they will simply go to another forum and there will be no growth of outside people that may have a ton to add.

3. many LL players, like those that are now HL players, start with smaller tourneys and eventually become the future of poker. those existing posters will be intimidated by this resume process out of fear of rejection, and thus your new forum is just a small number of posters discussing their own strategy ad naseum.

4. posters like GrannyMae play several large buy-in events each year. however, because i am not a known (and invited) strategist, i am unwelcome to post any of my hands whether they are discussion gold or not.

5. there is a limit to how interesting and how valuable a bunch of posts will be from a LIMITED number of players. we will see their hands so often, with no contrast from new people, that the entire thing will cease having any educational or entertainment value.

6. 2p2 started with a handful of us. if we kept it elite, it would still be only a handful of us and 2p2 would never be what it is today.

i can go on....
Old 05-19-2007, 08:52 PM

I just wanna say I've been posting more hands and giving more opinion in the strat forum, iuno I want a pat on the back or something [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-19-2007, 08:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just wanna say I've been posting more hands and giving more opinion in the strat forum, iuno I want a pat on the back or something [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Randal for Mod!
Old 05-19-2007, 09:05 PM

Granny's making some seriously good points here...
Old 05-19-2007, 09:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-20-2007, 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. We went through this a few years back, in a less extreme sense, where we highlighted certain poster's names blue.

I see why people want this. It makes better posters more likely to stick around, it isolates the 'good' posts, and makes life easier for posters like myself, who don't have time to sift through everything, like I did in my prime. It could also improve some posts, b/c the conversation would stay on the relevant details, etc.

However, I think the downside could be worse. You run the risk of driving away new faces, and all of Granny's other great points. Not to mention, it runs contrary to everything that is great about this board. The reason I chose this message board over others, was the fact that I could post a hand, and have very established players tell me what an idiot I was. Sure, I read fossilman's old posts, but I did that before I even joined.

If anything, I would suggest limiting the HS forum to a few hands a week, and run discussion threads in the Strat forum. That way it is a place for established players to discuss some good hands, without the clutter, and everyone else comments in the linked thread. Sort of like a hand with the masters, only less formal.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I will also venture to say that people getting left out or small stakes players will strive to be invited to this forum

[/ QUOTE ]

or, they will be so disgusted by the elite nature of the forum that they won't strive to be part of it at all.

some of these smaller stakes players will be future wsop champs. i'd hate to see them posting at p5's or cardplayer because they did not want to 'beg' to be on some special list at 2p2.

last i checked this was a discussion board open to poker players. the lack of further restrictions is what made this place what it is imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is the same setup as Diablo's forum and helped make it one of the best forums on 2n2.

It makes even more sense to use it in a HSMTT forum given there is really no reason to allow any random person to start a thread who may have 0 knowledge or exp. playing in HS Mtts.

I doubt Jurollo will require players to FT the Millions to make the list...but simply show by their replys that they have something to offer the forum and would post goot.

Split was Great idea. can't wait to check it out...and take everyones money in fantasy football.
Closed Thread