Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2006, 03:24 AM

Default Re: Michelle Wie, -2, T11 after morning round...

[ QUOTE ]
Learn all about the life of a legend in the making

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't read this thread much, but wow this is retarded.

What if she ends up winning 2 or 3 LPGA majors in her life? Should we all call her a failure? I understand she has great potential, but maybe let's just sit back and watch her develop her game as opposed to demanding she become a legend before she's old enough to drink.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I WANNA GO PLAY ON THE RYDER CUP!

wow what a jopke

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, clearly it's a joke that she, who is already doing reasonably well at age [censored] 16 (or whatever she is now, point being she's a damn kid) would aspire to make the rider cup. How dare she have goals and [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

goals are great and stuff...no one minds these visions of grandeur..but it comes off just totally ridiculous coming from someone in the public eye...especially from someone who CAN'T EVEN BEAT people in her OWN League. I guess kids are prone to saying $hit like this....she just keeps digging herself deeper with added expectations. I mean why would someone say something like this....it just continues to alienate her fans and competition.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

wow what a jopke

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, clearly it's a joke that she, who is already doing reasonably well at age [censored] 16 (or whatever she is now, point being she's a damn kid) would aspire to make the rider cup. How dare she have goals and [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

As mentioned, the problem is that her goals are completely at odds with reality, so saying stuff like this makes her look bad and will make her life a lot harder and her career look like a failure. Lost in some of her comments were what Sergio said, which was a polite way of saying she is much too short and weak to really compete. When he said she hit her irons too low, it was a way of saying that, compared to a Tour pro, she hits like a little girl. I heard Stewart Cink say basically this a while ago too, and he is one of the guys who has played with her. He said if she played a full year on tour, she would be in the bottom 10 or so in driving distance. And as she gets older I think that her place at the bottom will be entrenched in that the 16 year old boys out there are going to hit it like JB Holmes and Bubba Watson when they get on tour. Cink said it would be hard for her to compete on a full time basis given how short she is. Look how hard it is now for Corey Pavin, who is a much better golfer than Wie. (He is one of the pros who is not as long as Wie)

Yeah, I am in the detractor camp. Michelle was amazing to watch as a 13 year old girl. Now that she is a 16 year old millionaire, the truth is that she is one of the longer hitters on the LPGA Tour. She is nowhere close to competing week in and week out with Ryder Cup players. And it is very unlikely she will ever be. Well, more than unlikely. The odds of Michelle qualifying for a Ryder Cup team are astronomical.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:16 AM

Spoiled Little Girl Id Tag it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-06-2006, 10:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

wow what a jopke

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Dids, I have a dream that one day I will mod the HSNL forum, but since we all know that's not gonna happen I don't talk about it.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:25 PM

I think you people saying that her goals are unrealistic need to think for a moment about how good she is given how young she is. It's like you've already written her off.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you people saying that her goals are unrealistic need to think for a moment about how good she is given how young she is. It's like you've already written her off.

[/ QUOTE ]

A few things to consider. She is closer to being physically mature than young men her age. She is closer to her peak as a golfer than other women her age. There are a lot of guys out there say ages 15-18who you haven't heard of who will beat Michelle's brains out in 10 years. They might play about as well now. Michelle can't truly compete with men now and it isn't going to get easier because of all the guys in college and younger coming up. Michelle will get somewhat better. But as far as what she needs to do to be a Ryder Cup player and/or win on the PGA Tour as she blathers about, she is very unlikely to improve that much. She isn't going to somehow pick up 50 yards off the tee even if she hits the juice or HGH or whatever. But there are a slew of young men who will be easily carrying their tee shots 50 yards past where Michelle's ends up in a few years. Some do it now, but we have not heard of them yet. And they will putt better. Every year, because of a variety of factors, the players get longer and the competition gets tougher. Right now (By PGA Tour standards) Michelle is an inexperienced short hitter with temperament problems and a suspect putter. In 10 years she will be shorter than all but a couple of players on the PGA Tour and probably won't be a lot better on the greens. She will be somewhat better than she is now, which isn't anywhere near good enough to be a Ryder Cup player. If she gets her head right and keeps at it she could be a very good LPGA player. Probably not as good as Annika, but you never know.

One other thing is that golfers often develop at different rates. Many times some of the best junior players don't quite become the best amateurs, the best amateurs sometimes don't become the best tour pros. It depends. Michelle looks like a player who matured very quickly and plays great for a 16 year old. But that doesn't mean she will get way way better than she is now or that other players her age won't catch up, at least to some degree. I expect there will be players who can compete with Michelle on the LPGA Tour who are only 16 or so now. Maybe Michelle will be better, but I doubt she will win every women's tournament or have no competition. The PGA Tour is wishful thinking. And yes, she will make a cut in a men's event someday. But I don't think she will ever be able to compete week in and week out on the PGA Tour on her own merit; I doubt she will try Q-School or ever play a full schedule.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:05 PM

A few things to consider. She is closer to being physically mature than young men her age. She is closer to her peak as a golfer than other women her age. There are a lot of guys out there say ages 15-18who you haven't heard of who will beat Michelle's brains out in 10 years. They might play about as well now. Michelle can't truly compete with men now and it isn't going to get easier because of all the guys in college and younger coming up. Michelle will get somewhat better. But as far as what she needs to do to be a Ryder Cup player and/or win on the PGA Tour as she blathers about, she is very unlikely to improve that much. She isn't going to somehow pick up 50 yards off the tee even if she hits the juice or HGH or whatever. But there are a slew of young men who will be easily carrying their tee shots 50 yards past where Michelle's ends up in a few years. Some do it now, but we have not heard of them yet. And they will putt better. Every year, because of a variety of factors, the players get longer and the competition gets tougher. Right now (By PGA Tour standards) Michelle is an inexperienced short hitter with temperament problems and a suspect putter. In 10 years she will be shorter than all but a couple of players on the PGA Tour and probably won't be a lot better on the greens. She will be somewhat better than she is now, which isn't anywhere near good enough to be a Ryder Cup player. If she gets her head right and keeps at it she could be a very good LPGA player. Probably not as good as Annika, but you never know.

One other thing is that golfers often develop at different rates. Many times some of the best junior players don't quite become the best amateurs, the best amateurs sometimes don't become the best tour pros. It depends. Michelle looks like a player who matured very quickly and plays great for a 16 year old. But that doesn't mean she will get way way better than she is now or that other players her age won't catch up, at least to some degree. I expect there will be players who can compete with Michelle on the LPGA Tour who are only 16 or so now. Maybe Michelle will be better, but I doubt she will win every women's tournament or have no competition. The PGA Tour is wishful thinking. And yes, she will make a cut in a men's event someday. But I don't think she will ever be able to compete week in and week out on the PGA Tour on her own merit; I doubt she will try Q-School or ever play a full schedule.

[/ QUOTE ]

well put.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:17 AM

I agree that it is extremely unlikely that she'll ever compete to win an event on the PGA, let alone all the other stuff. And as for possibly being as good as Annika, time will tell, of course, but I'll believe she can even win an LPGA event when she wins.

At the same time, someone asks her if she'd like to play on the Ryder Cup someday, and she says "totally", and that she thinks some day a women might -- strikes me as kind of cute.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:31 PM

Looks like Michelle will most likely miss the cut again. +6 through 17 in the first round.

Looks like the thread curve has turned back to picking apart every word of every answer given to any question asked of a very young person. Figures.

Do we really need to re-hash that she is young and plays in the maximum number of LPGA events allowed again?

I guess so since nobody seems to understand it.

I really cannot wait until she is on the LPGA fulltime ripping apart the field on a weekly basis rather then once every couple of months.