Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: QB
Brees @PIT 3 50.00%
Brady vs. NYJ 3 50.00%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-06-2007, 06:12 PM

Default Re: Colts Pumping Artificial Noise into The Dome

I never do this, but the Patriots fans come off poorly in this thread. First of all, it should have been obvious that that noise was most likely a problem with CBS' audio -- I've heard the exact same problem (audio gets stuck in some kind of feedback loop, repeating itself and getting louder and more distorted with each pass) several times before. Usually all of the audio gets stuck, and sometimes it's accompanied by a similar problem with the video, but this is not a new problem, and I'd be surprised if you guys have never seen it happen before.

Second, how many non-Patriots fans in this thread were accusing the Colts of pumping in noise? Zero? One? How many Patriots fans in the thread were saying that it probably wasn't pumped in noise? Zero? One? How many of you guys who were all over the Colts as if the case were closed have come back and said something along the lines of "Sorry for jumping to conclusions, that was kinda foolish"? None, right?

Please, guys, examine your biases. I mean it, because this is not an isolated event. Remember the fallout from the cameragate nonsense? Every Patriots fan insisted that it was not a big deal and that it was getting blown out of proportion, while the vast majority of non-Pats fans thought it was a big deal. I happened to agree with you guys in this case that it was overblown, but I never once saw a Boston defender acknowledge that bias might have something to do with his opinion or that of other Patriots fans. Instead, most of them seemed to imply that everyone else was biased against the Patriots because they win so much.

-- VarlosZ (Giants fan, but rooted for the Patriots in each of their three Super Bowl wins, and for the Red Sox in 2004.)
Old 11-06-2007, 06:14 PM

cody,

good that you can see the officiating was poor. several other posters have made the same argument as you, but also said that it wasn't that bad and/or previous errors in other games make bad calls ok. those are all stupid arguments.

as far as 'swallow the damn whistle,' you realize if that pass is complete there's a very good chance the pats get a FG attempt to tie the game, right?
Old 11-06-2007, 06:17 PM

Rewatching the game and the call on Hobbs in the 2nd right before the Colts kick their second FG is ridiculously harsh. Hobbs was never beat, didn't put his arms on the reciever and was looking at the ball the whole time.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:18 PM

Ok I just watched the Faulk play and there is no angle shown on TV coverage that shows anything near as conclusive as you guys make it sound. Its all shown froim the line of scrimmage and the Pats are claiming there was contact with the back arm but you cant even see that arm on the TV coverage. If you have something conclusive I'd love to see it.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok I just watched the Faulk play and there is no angle shown on TV coverage that shows anything near as conclusive as you guys make it sound. Its all shown froim the line of scrimmage and the Pats are claiming there was contact with the back arm but you cant even see that arm on the TV coverage. If you have something conclusive I'd love to see it.

[/ QUOTE ]

how about the fact that the reason you can't see his back arm is that the linebacker is hanging over it, which is reflected by the fact that he's slowing down and turning away from the ball instead of catching it and running with it?

[ QUOTE ]
as far as 'swallow the damn whistle,' you realize if that pass is complete there's a very good chance the pats get a FG attempt to tie the game, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, but to me that sounds similar to "and if they'd have called the blocking foul, he'd have made those two FTs." I guess I just give more "fudge room" in that spot because of the situation.

Where was the ball on that play exactly, anyone remember. I remember it being on about the IND 45, am I close there?

Cody

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll watch it again when I get home, but I remember seeing the arm pulled, and the announcers agreeing that Brady was justifiably pissed.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:22 PM

i think you're about right, somewhere around the 40.

i don't see how you can say a penalty is not a big deal when it directly impedes a likely scoring opportunity in a close football game. the basketball analogy has no place in the thread.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:23 PM

No one remembers a very obvious holding the refs let go uncalled on a 3rd down play that kept a patriots drive alive? That was worth 3points btw.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Where was the ball on that play exactly, anyone remember. I remember it being on about the IND 45, am I close there?

[/ QUOTE ]

it was on the IND 40. so 5 yards gives the Pats a 52 yard FG attempt, which is iffy, 6 or 7 or 8 moves it into definite FG territory. in other words, those are super important yards.