Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2006, 07:35 PM

Default Re: A sub-point

[ QUOTE ]
I got this out of reading a book called Freakonomics. Really good book.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was great as well. It changed my mind about abortion.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
so why should i believe pure capitalism can exist?

[/ QUOTE ]
With or with out a state? With a state I'd say it's impossible, without one it's definitely possible. Why would you say it can't exist?

[/ QUOTE ]

I see no reason to believe it would exist, no empirical evidence of this "pure capitalism."

[ QUOTE ]
I find it unlikely that anyone would work under a capitalist when the could work in a coop or for themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]
Can you explain how these coops work, how they'll gain power and why you think they'll be better then the labor sale that happens now? Very interesting to say the least.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm not going to write a thesis, but everything done by hierarcchial companies can be done by worker owned ones. it would be better because i don't think most people like having bosses, basically. they don't like part of what they produce going to a boss, they don't like the structure which i believe alienates the workers from others.

i mean who here really would want to work under a boss instead of in a company where everyone is equal, where everyone has an equal say in how the company is run?

[/ QUOTE ]

Who decides who gets paid what? Who decides who does what job?
Old 12-11-2006, 07:42 PM

are you serious? people would get paid whatever their product sells for.. they would do whatever job they wanted. (say if they made furniture they'd join a furniture coop).
Old 12-11-2006, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
are you serious? people would get paid whatever their product sells for.. they would do whatever job they wanted. (say if they made furniture they'd join a furniture coop).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I'm serious but, I meant within the company. If everyone has and equal voice, who cleans the toilets or takes out the garbage. How much do these employees get paid? Do they make as much as the accountants? No? I wouldn't stand for that if I was the guy who had to clean other people's crap and I had an equal voice in the company.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I meant within the company. If everyone has and equal voice, who cleans the toilets or takes out the garbage. How much do these employees get paid? Do they make as much as the accountants? No? I wouldn't stand for that if I was the guy who had to clean other people's crap and I had an equal voice in the company.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably divide up the work amongst themselves. Obviously they would all want to keep their place looking nice.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
failing some laissez-faire extremest becoming a dictator somewhere, you never are going to have a system in which a tiny minority controls most of the power and wealth and doesn't use that power and wealth to their advantage (especially utopian seeing that the system you are describing encourages and rewards greed and selfishness).

[/ QUOTE ]

So why do you support statism, which is precisely that type of system, over non-systems where there is no concentration of power to be abused?
Old 12-11-2006, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I see no reason to believe it would exist, no empirical evidence of this "pure capitalism."

[/ QUOTE ]
Pure capitalism has been discussed in theory ad nauseum on this board. Using empirical evidence as the only factor for what is and what isn't possible is fallacious.
[ QUOTE ]
i'm not going to write a thesis, but everything done by hierarcchial companies can be done by worker owned ones. it would be better because i don't think most people like having bosses, basically. they don't like part of what they produce going to a boss, they don't like the structure which i believe alienates the workers from others.

i mean who here really would want to work under a boss instead of in a company where everyone is equal, where everyone has an equal say in how the company is run?

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, there's reasons why this doesn't happen now. What changes happen that suddenly makes coops practical?
Old 12-11-2006, 07:58 PM

I have two roomates, one is practically OCD as far as being clean is concerned and the other is one of the sloppiest people I know. I am somewhat in between. The filth that my one roomate leaves behind bothers the hell out of me, so I know it has to kill my OCD friend. It doesn't bother the messy guy at all. For a while we worked to keep the place clean, but we finally got tired of it so now our place stays in a constant state of general messiness.

My point is this, in a large business with hundreds of employees it seems like this type of decision process would be very inefficient because different people have different opinions on what clean is, what type of work they will be required to do, etc. and when they all have an equal voice I can easily see very stubborn obstinate individuals not be willing to compromise.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:06 PM

neverforgetlol,

Don't bring up empiricism with ACists. They only believe theory.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
neverforgetlol,

Don't bring up empiricism with ACist. They only believe theory and Celtic folklore

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP