Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2007, 02:24 PM

Default Re: The last big fight De La Hoya - Mayweather

i mean de lay hoyas 'flurries' even had some us watching the fight giving him more credit than he really deserved. whenever they showed replays of DLH's attacks, a lot of the punches we rent even close to connecting. the ones that did seem to barely hit him.

another thing. larry merchant is a retard and i have a v hard time believing mayweather SR can be a good trainer. i mean even if he did have a clear concise thought how could even convey it?
Old 05-06-2007, 02:38 PM

sorry, haven't read everything, but I thought Mayweather destroyed DLH. Very surprised by the scoring. DLH's flurries looked nice, but thats it. I mentioned after his barrage into Mayweathers side that he hit him a bunch, but it didn't appear to faze Mayweather at all. Good fight to watch.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
mayweather is on his heels the entire fight and wins. [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] boxing

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Ringside punching stats favored Mayweather heavily, crediting him with landing 207 of 481 punches to 122 of 587 for De La Hoya. Mayweather also landed more power punches than De La Hoya, outscoring him 138-82.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, he punches pretty well from his heels, eh?

[/ QUOTE ]

obviously mayweather was much more efficient than dlh. he was also much less aggressive than dlh, and was retreating the entire match.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:48 PM

ot, but what is the deal w/the bald guy dreadlock thing that mayweather sr and lennox were sporting?

??
Old 05-06-2007, 03:01 PM

A few thoughts
Mayweather dominated the fight. Like everyone else said De la Hoya would get big flurries that looked nice but didn't do much.
Mayweather's entrance was incredible between the sombrero/mexican trunks and having fifty cent rap him in it was just awesome.
Floyd Mayweather sr. seems like the biggest douche ever. What a slimeball.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:14 PM

Location: always C/Ring with 3 outs and usually getting there

For all the people criticizing Mayweather for fighting "too defensively"

Can you not realize that this is Mayweather playing to his strengths? By the last few rounds, you could see the frustration overflowing in Oscar. The constant jab that Mayweather was landing almost at will (Not sexy, but effective), paired with all of Oscar's missed punches thanks to the elusiveness of the quicker Mayweather, had Oscar exhausted by the last 4 rounds

One of the announcers said at one point during the fight something along the lines of "There's so much pressure to FIND Floyd Mayweather during a 12 round fight". This was pretty true from what I saw. De la Hoya did a bunch of those flurries where he'd get in close and just flail his arms into Mayweather's side as Mayweather attempted to clinch and the crowd went bezerk. Crowd noise + flailing arms does not equal power punches. Those flurries were not affecting Mayweather in the least, and you could see it in Mayweather's face as he LAUGHED after each of those confrontations.

I'm done with this thread now. I'm not really shocked that there's very little boxing knowledge in here, but I am shocked to see the total idiocy of some. Does anyone realize how much size and power Mayweather was giving up to De la Hoya in this fight? He HAD to fight the way he did last night in order to win, and he gave a clinic in the process
Old 05-06-2007, 03:19 PM

OMG TOTAL IDIOCY. don't be a douche, homie.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:31 PM

Interesting fight.

DLH being the aggressor most of the time. FM seemed to give away a few rounds early. Many mid rounds could've went either way. DLH was defintitley tired later on(Basically the last 2-3 rounds).

I don't really care about the punch stats. They're nice, but unless things have changed, the judges don't see those stats so it's all up to visual. Even if you miss shots, being active still counts. The judges are also at different sides of the ring so some may see some shots differently than others.

Mayweather really didn't look that impressive to me. Sure, he was great on defense making DLH not land anything real solid. But anemic on offense for most of the fight until DLH started to get tired. Which was almost too long to wait. I don't care if he landed over 50 % in a round where he only throws 20 punches compared to 50-60 for the other guy who, though his % is lower, is still landing about the same amount. That's not winning.

I was pleased with the split decision. I think it could've went either way. 3 more rounds and I think FM wins it much easier.

Seeing FM smiling while going into a clinch you just wanted to yell, 'How about throwing a punch some time soon!'
He basically ran most of the time. Not really what FM's trainer called an 'ass-whooping'. Far from it. Neither guy really looked marked up at all. Neither was ever really in any trouble.

Interesting tactical fight, but certainly not what it was really billed to be. I think if FM is going to talk that much smack, he could at least show up in the ring and throw a little more. No wonder there was some booing from the crowd at times.

Would've been nice if they had some better undercards too.

b
Old 05-06-2007, 03:34 PM

Location: always C/Ring with 3 outs and usually getting there

[ QUOTE ]

Seeing FM smiling while going into a clinch you just wanted to yell, 'How about throwing a punch some time soon!'

[/ QUOTE ]

Because to do that and turn the fight into a slugfest would have favored De la Hoya, and turned the fight away from Mayweather's strengths. Floyd is too smart a fighter to do that
Old 05-06-2007, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't really care about the punch stats. They're nice, but unless things have changed, the judges don't see those stats so it's all up to visual. Even if you miss shots, being active still counts. The judges are also at different sides of the ring so some may see some shots differently than others.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm really sure that professional judges sitting ringside can see tell when one fighter is landing double the shots of the other.