Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2007, 01:55 PM

Default Re: Ask a music scene micro celebrity

What was glen hansard like to work with?
Old 07-10-2007, 02:03 PM

electrical,

I'm not really as into music as most of the people in this thread. I also had no idea who you were before it or who most of the bands being talked about are.
However, it was a great read and probably one of the top 3 ask me threads on 2p2. Thanks for doing it.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:25 PM

Steve,

Knowing that you tend to frown upon people video taping your live shows and even calling them out from time to time, I was surprised to come across a weird Big Black VHS a few years back at a local "indie" video store in Michigan. It looked like you were playing in a really small bar on the floor and that there were maybe 10 people at the show. Also, there were really cheesy (probably innovative for the time) video wipes and dissolves inserted in between songs and some weird slow motion 8 bit effects added over songs.

I guess I'm asking if this was a legit release or a bootleg? The camera seems to be on a tripod right in front of the stage in plain view, and if I remember correctly, there may have even been several camera angels. As far as I've ever known, the Pig Pile VHS was the only legit release.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:30 PM

I witnessed Shellac at ATP nightmare before christmas a few years back having taken a cocktail of shrooms, weed and ale. You sounded like Tontos Expanding Head Band. Was this intentional?
Old 07-10-2007, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did you create your guitar sound specifically to fit an idea of what your music should sound like, or have you always played in a similar way?

[/ QUOTE ]
I have pretty much always had a weird guitar sound. My early heroes were Johnny Ramone, Ricky Wilson, Keith Levine, Santiago Durango, Colin Newman and Andy Gill. I later came to appreciate (steal from) Billy Gibbons and Wilco Johnson as well.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you still work seven days a week to keep your Studio running or are things getting a bit easier?

[/ QUOTE ]
For about 18 months I have been successful in giving myself one day a week off, typically Tuesdays.

[ QUOTE ]
For how long would you feel happy to leave your cats on their own?

[/ QUOTE ]
Not more than 24 hours.
[ QUOTE ]
The new stooges 12" here in Europe features a black sticker on the front saying "recorded with steve albini", and a web address on the back saying "Go here to buy Stooges ring tones". If you could change one of these things, which one would you choose to remove?

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, putting my name on a Stooges record is a bit like mentioning their barbers. I'm proud of the association, I loved working on their record, and I'm thrilled to have spent time in their company, so I'm flattered that they mention me, but also a little embarrassed because they are so much more important than me. I guess the ringtone thing is a little weird.

[ QUOTE ]
Do your question and answer sessions at gigs attract more antagonistic questions than genuine inquiries, and if so is that really the point?

[/ QUOTE ]
We have Q&A at the gigs because it makes the event more of a two-way experience, rather than ust just spraying noise all over the audience, they also get to have a little conversation with us. I enjoy it, though it can be an excuse for people to act like ay-holes.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What was glen hansard like to work with?

[/ QUOTE ]
Like a supermagnet for cooze.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:09 PM

C'mon...throw me a bone: The Wedding Present. Awesome in general or did you (ie. Seamonsters) make them better than they are entitled to be remembered as.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Knowing that you tend to frown upon people video taping your live shows and even calling them out from time to time, I was surprised to come across a weird Big Black VHS a few years back at a local "indie" video store in Michigan. It looked like you were playing in a really small bar on the floor and that there were maybe 10 people at the show. Also, there were really cheesy (probably innovative for the time) video wipes and dissolves inserted in between songs and some weird slow motion 8 bit effects added over songs.

[/ QUOTE ]
That sounds like the Atavistic video. Atavistic made informal VHS releases for a couple of bands, Big Black, Pussy galore and maybe Swans. The Big Black one was shot at a great little place called No Bar in Muncie, Indiana, run by the former manager of the Dancing Cigarettes. It was a "legit" release, I suppose, but I haven't heard from Kurt, the guy that released it, in quite a while.

The reason we're not crazy about people videotaping our shows at present is that we want people involved directly in the show, not archiving it for later enjoyment at their desks. We want them involved now.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:56 PM

How much money would it take for you to work on the next Fergie album?
Old 07-10-2007, 09:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, putting my name on a Stooges record is a bit like mentioning their barbers. I'm proud of the association, I loved working on their record, and I'm thrilled to have spent time in their company, so I'm flattered that they mention me, but also a little embarrassed because they are so much more important than me.

[/ QUOTE ]

How did Mike Watt operate during the sessions? Did you get the sense that Mike was a hired gun, an equal footing band member, or a role player?