FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: QB
Brees @PIT 3 50.00%
Brady vs. NYJ 3 50.00%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-06-2007, 05:58 PM

Default Re: Colts Pumping Artificial Noise into The Dome

[ QUOTE ]
Regarding that 3rd and 20, this is a spirit vs. letter thing. That play was either an incompletion, a catch for 4 yards, or a penelty for 5 yards and an auto first down. A no-call there is far from the worst thing ever (hell even in this game).

[/ QUOTE ]

no, it is terrible. you can't just allow guys to get mugged 5 yards down the field b/c it happens to be 3rd and long. a 6 or 7 yards gain means the Pats are in FG range. I mean, I sound like Bill Polian here, jesus.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Regarding that 3rd and 20, this is a spirit vs. letter thing. That play was either an incompletion, a catch for 4 yards, or a penelty for 5 yards and an auto first down. A no-call there is far from the worst thing ever (hell even in this game).

[/ QUOTE ]

no, it is terrible. you can't just allow guys to get mugged 5 yards down the field b/c it happens to be 3rd and long. a 6 or 7 yards gain means the Pats are in FG range. I mean, I sound like Bill Polian here, jesus.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's not terrible. He didn't get mugged, he got his arm pulled. You saw the screen caps Noodle linked that showed Wayne getting touched and that was a no-call. It happens, and on that play, that's not the worst outcome.

Cody
Old 11-06-2007, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

As for Moss's offensive PIs, I have little sympathy for Moss in this spot. His shoves and box-outs are cute and all, but he gets away with plenty, variance caught up to him.

[/ QUOTE ]

So because bad calls (or no-calls) were made before, it's fine/good/desireable that we make bad calls now, in an entirely different game? In any event, since the discussion seems to focus on who got more breaks from the refs in that game, stuff outside of the game is irrelevant to the topic at hand. Anyway I doubt anyone wants anyone else to feel sorry for Moss.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? He shoved once and boxed out and used his arms on the other. Were they so obvious that it's always getting called? I don't think so. But the idea that the refs were in IND's pocket this game is silly. Especially if you watched the pre-game show and heard about this referee crew.

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

In any event I agree that the idea that the refs were in Indy's pocket is silly. I think they made more bad calls (two in particular) in Indy's favor but that's just variance, it's not rigged.

Not sure what you mean on the box-out. Like where he legitimately got inside position and turned his body so that the defender had to go around to make a play on the ball? Are you suggesting that he has an obligation to turn sideways so as to allow the DB a sporting chance to make a play? I don't remember him boxing out in such a way that he initiated contact (possible I'm wrong).
Old 11-06-2007, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's not terrible. He didn't get mugged, he got his arm pulled. You saw the screen caps Noodle linked that showed Wayne getting touched and that was a no-call. It happens, and on that play, that's not the worst outcome.

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, "arm pulled" and "touched" are equivalents.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't remember him boxing out in such a way that he initiated contact

[/ QUOTE ]

The pushing back is part of "getting position" but what I remember getting the call was putting his arms out to keep Heyden (I think) behind him. That's a penelty. Again, I'm not saying it's awful, but it's not as bad as the Def. PI in the first half that was pretty close to made-up.

Cody
Old 11-06-2007, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you made my argument for me. Faulk had his arm pulled; Wayne got touched. there is a big difference there.

I mean, I can't believe that you're arguing it shouldn't be called when A 5 YARD GAIN THERE MEANS A FG ATTEMPT.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, "arm pulled" and "touched" are equivalents.

[/ QUOTE ]

I instantly regret not writing "Shoulder pulled". Well played sir.

Edit: hahah damn, two posts with one reply.

Cody
Old 11-06-2007, 06:06 PM

i love how the same people arguing that pats fans are being crazy and stupid are arguing that it's not a big deal not to call PI when a guy gets mugged on a crucial 3rd down play right in front of the ump. or now trying to argue that the calls weren't even that bad.

yeah ok, we're the crazy ones.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:07 PM

there were a bunch of questionable "no calls" on BOTH sides of the ball. the only questionable call i can think of was the offensive PI on moss in the end zone. The defensive PI calls on the pats was perfectly understandable when seen in REAL TIME. IMO LDO
Old 11-06-2007, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i love how the same people arguing that pats fans are being crazy and stupid are arguing that it's not a big deal not to call PI when a guy gets mugged on a crucial 3rd down play right in front of the ump. or now trying to argue that the calls weren't even that bad.

yeah ok, we're the crazy ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?

1) The officiating in that game wasn't great
2) The deep def. PI in the first half was a particularly awful call
3) I have little doubt that if that call on 3rd and 20 gets made the resounding reply is "Awww c'mon refs swallow the damn whistle".

Where's the rub?

Cody