Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 02:47 PM

Default Re: Updated Cliff Notes On Absolute Poker Scandal (18th October)

Very good idea.

[ QUOTE ]
It's time to take all the hard evidence, put in a nice neat package and ship it to:

A) all the major news networks and newspapers with the offer to provide interviews with Nat, Josem, etc.

b) the other gaming companies (over 100?) using Kahawake's servers - with a question attached: Could this happen at your site?

c) ???

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-18-2007, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If that info about Tokwiro is correct Absolute Poker is owned by a company started by the guy who founded the web server campus on which the servers now sit.

Meaning the council is auditing their own [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

Not only that Apefish, but the implications here go way beyond Absolute Poker. The really big story, as I've said throughout this ordeal, centers around the KGC. I'm trying to think of reasons why so many "legit" online poker sites would want to use a fraud licensing company headed by crooks. HMMMMMM.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's a question. Who governs the Kawanake territory? Aren't reserves their on sovereign government, law enforcement etc. If so it just seems to me that all this is just bad publicity for AP and the KGC. Nobody is going make them face criminal charges etc.

Also I would definitely scrutinize those alias with stellar records. If you had a big circle of frat alums and only access to 1 super rights account. You'd enter a number of them and in of course relaying info can only be to done a 1 person so the others will have seemingly bad finishes.

Also don't discount them just because of a few poor showings. I remember Paul Phillips posed a very interesting questions a few years ago. Something along the lines of what is your expection if you could see everybody's hole cards.

I think a fair number of good players posed that you'd be best off getting a big stack early so you could make +EV decision/gambles and still be able to fade them if you had amassed a decent stack. This is even more true if you have a lot of horses entered IE (other cheating account getting blinded at a 1k buyin)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like they haven't made up their mind yet about what they're going to admit or deny.

They're probably still looking for a cover-up story that allows them to deny the most damning facts like the superuser account, especially because the proof for this is too complicated for the general public to be understood as a smoking gun. When we start talking about hand histories, river aggression factor, IP addresses and DNS servers, nobody cares anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

The general public here in the Netherlands all believe it in a second, because they (in general) suck at poker and LOVE the fact that they lose their money because they're being cheated.

Although they dont play above $10 MTT or $0.25 NL by the way.

[/ QUOTE ]i agree scandanavians suck at poker [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] jus kiddin

[/ QUOTE ]

Um...The Netherlands isn't in Scandinavia...

[/ QUOTE ]yes my apologies, knew as soon as i posted it lol.. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Every single angle should be mercilessly researched and documented. In my estimation, if AP wishes to put an end to speculation it could easily do that by disclosing who has and/or had access to which accounts, and when, and which IP addresses are connected with whom, and by disclosing definitive explanations regarding the relationship of Mr Tom and Mr Green to them. They should be willing to agree to an inspection of their servers, now, by an independent third party. Of course they have every right to continue to remain silent and to continue to leave these serious accusations unanswered, or to respond with generic denials. But I think that others have every right to draw a logical and reasonable inference from AP's refusal to disclose this information in a timely fashion as well. With the type of bombshell evidence that is contained in the Potripper video in conjunction with the excel file, the public deserves an explanation sooner rather than later.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

It's time to take all the hard evidence, put in a nice neat package and ship it to:

A) all the major news networks and newspapers with the offer to provide interviews with Nat, Josem, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

Seriously, I don't know why you would want this to happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only way Absolute is going to provide full disclosure here is if they are under intense media scrutiny.

If we expect the truth to be revealed, it will take much more than a bunch of poker players on a few forums to make it happen.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:50 PM

Do you really think it only happened in one tourney? I think there were several months worth of cash games and tournies that were cheated. I also have two theories on why they were caught.

1) they were cheating for a long time and became very complacent. I don't think that tourney winner was very smart nor a very good poker player. Why did they let him play with those super powers? They really let their guard down!

2) there were many people involved and someone was not happy with the 'cut they were getting' and 'tried to get caught'. Greed does strange things to people. Revenge!

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Old 10-18-2007, 02:51 PM

Found this gem

Oud-topman gesnapt na online pokerfraude
Door: Marten Blankesteijn
Gepubliceerd: vandaag 00:03
Update: vandaag 00:10

Fraude in pokerland: de voormalige directeur van een van de grootste online pokerspelen zorgde ervoor dat hij de kaarten van zijn tegenstanders kon zien.

Bluft mijn tegenstander, of heeft hij echt goede kaarten? Zijn mijn kaarten beter? Geld inzetten of niet?

Het zijn de hamvragen bij poker die Scott Tom zich nooit hoefde te stellen. De vroegere directeur van AbsolutePoker.com – een van de grootste pokeraanbieders op internet – programmeerde zijn software zo dat hij inzage had in de kaarten van zijn tegenstanders. En dat speelt een stuk makkelijker.

De zaak kwam aan het rollen toen CrazyMarco, een online pokerspeler, in een Absolute Poker-toernooi met duizend dollar prijzengeld werd uitgeschakeld door een ‘crazy call’ van een speler die zichzelf Potripper noemde. De laatste had beroerde kaarten, en dus was er een zeer grote kans dat CrazyMarco een betere hand had. Toen zijn tegenstander ook nog eens veel geld inzette kon Potripper niet anders dan zijn kaarten weggooien, leek het. Maar dat deed hij niet. Hij betaalde en zag dat zijn hoogste kaart (10) ‘toevallig’ beter was dan die van Marco (9).

Dat wekte argwaan. CrazyMarco vroeg bij de organisatie een uitdraai van het speelgedrag van Potripper aan. Met een clubje bevriende pokerspelers analyseerde hij IP-adressen, e-mailadressen en speelgewoontes. Na enkele weken bleek Potripper niemand anders dan Scott Tom, de voormalige CEO van Absolute Poker. Door een simpel trucje kon hij de kaarten van alle spelers zien en tegelijkertijd zelf meespelen.

Hoe vaak Tom heeft geprofiteerd van zijn zelfbedachte methode en hoeveel hij daaraan heeft verdiend is nog niet duidelijk. Een andere vraag is of de pokersoftware van vergelijkbare websites dezelfde mogelijkheden bevat. In een markt waarin jaarlijks naar schatting 1,5 miljard dollar omgaat zou dat bijzonder lucratief zijn. Nog een pluspunt: de kans dat zoiets ooit uitkomt is klein. Tom liep tegen de lamp door een beslissing te nemen die té duidelijk wees op voorkennis. Wie het ietsje slimmer speelt en zo af en toe ook wat potjes verliest, wordt rijk. Heel rijk.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Found this gem

Oud-topman gesnapt na online pokerfraude
Door: Marten Blankesteijn
Gepubliceerd: vandaag 00:03
Update: vandaag 00:10

Fraude in pokerland: de voormalige directeur van een van de grootste online pokerspelen zorgde ervoor dat hij de kaarten van zijn tegenstanders kon zien.

Bluft mijn tegenstander, of heeft hij echt goede kaarten? Zijn mijn kaarten beter? Geld inzetten of niet?

Het zijn de hamvragen bij poker die Scott Tom zich nooit hoefde te stellen. De vroegere directeur van AbsolutePoker.com – een van de grootste pokeraanbieders op internet – programmeerde zijn software zo dat hij inzage had in de kaarten van zijn tegenstanders. En dat speelt een stuk makkelijker.

De zaak kwam aan het rollen toen CrazyMarco, een online pokerspeler, in een Absolute Poker-toernooi met duizend dollar prijzengeld werd uitgeschakeld door een ‘crazy call’ van een speler die zichzelf Potripper noemde. De laatste had beroerde kaarten, en dus was er een zeer grote kans dat CrazyMarco een betere hand had. Toen zijn tegenstander ook nog eens veel geld inzette kon Potripper niet anders dan zijn kaarten weggooien, leek het. Maar dat deed hij niet. Hij betaalde en zag dat zijn hoogste kaart (10) ‘toevallig’ beter was dan die van Marco (9).

Dat wekte argwaan. CrazyMarco vroeg bij de organisatie een uitdraai van het speelgedrag van Potripper aan. Met een clubje bevriende pokerspelers analyseerde hij IP-adressen, e-mailadressen en speelgewoontes. Na enkele weken bleek Potripper niemand anders dan Scott Tom, de voormalige CEO van Absolute Poker. Door een simpel trucje kon hij de kaarten van alle spelers zien en tegelijkertijd zelf meespelen.

Hoe vaak Tom heeft geprofiteerd van zijn zelfbedachte methode en hoeveel hij daaraan heeft verdiend is nog niet duidelijk. Een andere vraag is of de pokersoftware van vergelijkbare websites dezelfde mogelijkheden bevat. In een markt waarin jaarlijks naar schatting 1,5 miljard dollar omgaat zou dat bijzonder lucratief zijn. Nog een pluspunt: de kans dat zoiets ooit uitkomt is klein. Tom liep tegen de lamp door een beslissing te nemen die té duidelijk wees op voorkennis. Wie het ietsje slimmer speelt en zo af en toe ook wat potjes verliest, wordt rijk. Heel rijk.

[/ QUOTE ]
Was already posted in the other thread, including translations in English. It is from a free Dutch newspaper called De Pers.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

b) the other gaming companies (over 100?) using Kahawake's servers - with a question attached: Could this happen at your site?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very misleading. MIT is just a data center. Their customers likely own the majority of the servers there. The fact that MIT exists is a good thing for US poker players.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also don't discount them just because of a few poor showings. I remember Paul Phillips posed a very interesting questions a few years ago. Something along the lines of what is your expection if you could see everybody's hole cards.

I think a fair number of good players posed that you'd be best off getting a big stack early so you could make +EV decision/gambles and still be able to fade them if you had amassed a decent stack. This is even more true if you have a lot of horses entered IE (other cheating account getting blinded at a 1k buyin)

[/ QUOTE ]

It may well be that the cheaters entered some of their accounts in MTTs in order to let them blind out in an attempt to cover their tracks.

The ownership of AP is concerning. Did the Toms sell it to Norton? Did Norton found it through them? This is a huge conflict for Kahnakawe, and greatly damages their credibility in the audit process.
Closed Thread