Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2007, 07:17 PM

Default Re: Six Years in Las Vegas

late on this, but so sorry to hear about your father. All your updates are very inspiring. I wish you all the best.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Having journalism background and having lived in Dallas, Chicago and Boston, the public library here is quite all right. You probably aren't going to the right one(s)? There are many branches.

There's plenty to do here. I've seen Clapton and Seegar for less than $80 ea, this year. Buffett later, for same. (Really looking forward to that!)

What do you mean "recreation" is lacking? What else would you want to do? Hell, you can even go ice skating here.

Outside of NY, what place has "theater"? Or are you thinking something like in The Big Lebowski?

MicMan, I just think you're way off on your view of Vegas. A city of 2 million people has everything any place else does, of comparable size, and this is still a very young city. Comparing it to cities who've been around for a couple of centuries is ridiculous.

I suggest you explore more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bro, if you have lived in Boston then you would know that vegas is seriously lacking in cultural, recreation, public services and a general vibe. it could never touch Boston in any facet except for gambling. vegas is fun for all us sick gamblers but god is it just fundamentally such a terrible city. first off, it is in the middle of the damn desert, the public parks are scarce and crappy. the scenery is really ugly within 15-20 miles of the city (ugly trees, very little grass, more gray than green). there are no cool neighborhoods like Boston has in jamaica plain, roxbury, mission hill, brighton or brookline. the city has no feel to it besides gambling (because it has like a 40 year history, and its pretty much the history of gambling). yes, there is no theatre, there is no great arts scene, no intellectuals scene. the schools on all levels there are crappy. outside of the strip, vegas is so empty, inside the strip it is often the same too once you get past the thrill of bright lights and gambling. vegas is definitely a spectacle, and i am always excited when i arrive, but im always ready when i leave. it is pretty much a wasteland, and while there seems to be so much always going on, it's not going anywhere. vegas is on the fore-front of going nowhere as fast as possible. essentially it is a city where people go to watch money trade hands. what great companies are in vegas? i really hope you get out and see more of the world, go overseas. go to those new york, chicago, boston, seattle. you will quickly see a difference between those cities and your beloved vegas

[/ QUOTE ]

How old are you?
Old 08-02-2007, 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Having journalism background and having lived in Dallas, Chicago and Boston, the public library here is quite all right. You probably aren't going to the right one(s)? There are many branches.

There's plenty to do here. I've seen Clapton and Seegar for less than $80 ea, this year. Buffett later, for same. (Really looking forward to that!)

What do you mean "recreation" is lacking? What else would you want to do? Hell, you can even go ice skating here.

Outside of NY, what place has "theater"? Or are you thinking something like in The Big Lebowski?

MicMan, I just think you're way off on your view of Vegas. A city of 2 million people has everything any place else does, of comparable size, and this is still a very young city. Comparing it to cities who've been around for a couple of centuries is ridiculous.

I suggest you explore more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bro, if you have lived in Boston then you would know that vegas is seriously lacking in cultural, recreation, public services and a general vibe. it could never touch Boston in any facet except for gambling. vegas is fun for all us sick gamblers but god is it just fundamentally such a terrible city. first off, it is in the middle of the damn desert, the public parks are scarce and crappy. the scenery is really ugly within 15-20 miles of the city (ugly trees, very little grass, more gray than green). there are no cool neighborhoods like Boston has in jamaica plain, roxbury, mission hill, brighton or brookline. the city has no feel to it besides gambling (because it has like a 40 year history, and its pretty much the history of gambling). yes, there is no theatre, there is no great arts scene, no intellectuals scene. the schools on all levels there are crappy. outside of the strip, vegas is so empty, inside the strip it is often the same too once you get past the thrill of bright lights and gambling. vegas is definitely a spectacle, and i am always excited when i arrive, but im always ready when i leave. it is pretty much a wasteland, and while there seems to be so much always going on, it's not going anywhere. vegas is on the fore-front of going nowhere as fast as possible. essentially it is a city where people go to watch money trade hands. what great companies are in vegas? i really hope you get out and see more of the world, go overseas. go to those new york, chicago, boston, seattle. you will quickly see a difference between those cities and your beloved vegas

[/ QUOTE ]

How old are you?

[/ QUOTE ]

why?
Old 08-02-2007, 11:02 PM

OP, should be proud of what he has accomplished...unless he is the sort of person who enjoys working for others and being subjected to the will superiors less capiable then yourself. im sure he is not the sort of person who can derive happieness from wagedonkey persuits. he should be very proud and continue to work on his game making it as profitable as it can be.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:20 PM

mods, please ban the troll, thanks!
Old 08-02-2007, 11:44 PM

And please end the whole boston vs the world mini-thread brewing. Make it a separate thread.

Dynasty, do you have any leaks? You are such an honest guy and I respect your posts in this thread. Sometimes this type of honesty is really brutal and raw. Have you been playing online? If so, how are the results?

I wish you the best of luck.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:03 AM

I live in Chicago and have visited Boston several times. Boston is cool, a great city. But I couldn't live there (I'm black lol )
Old 08-03-2007, 07:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

How old are you?

[/ QUOTE ]

why?

[/ QUOTE ]

= 19

Nice work, ChicagoPoker; first thing I thought was 'busing riots of 1970's hub of racism lol'

Oak Park > any Boston suburb
Old 08-03-2007, 08:41 AM

Dynasty,

As someone who has, and still does, contemplate "going pro," this has been a great thread. I am sorry to hear about your dad, but best of luck in the future, and I hope you can cut it.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

How old are you?

[/ QUOTE ]

why?

[/ QUOTE ]

= 19

Nice work, ChicagoPoker; first thing I thought was 'busing riots of 1970's hub of racism lol'

Oak Park > any Boston suburb

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, i've been to oak park, you gotta be kidding me on that one. yea, Boston isn't the best place to be black unfortunately. there are a lot of cool black neighborhoods, but in the downtown area you won't see too many black people and there has always been a ton of racial tension. but chipwrecked, last time i checked chicago isn't that cool a place to be black either, you just stuff yours into cabrini and then demolish it leaving them with nowhere to go except a worse neighborhood on the south side.