Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2007, 07:59 AM

Location: Realising I suck at Poker (lifetime winner though!)
Default Re: Week-long prop bet

Hey, just wanted to say thanks for posting all this,
i started playing online about 6 months ago and ran $50 into $1000 (mostly due to being constantly slapped round the face with good cards and sucking out), being a student though i had to cash out to pay for rent etc...
I have tried a couple of times to build a roll since and have had no problems getting up to a few Hundred $s but due to poor bankroll management have gone busto each time but having read this thread it has encouraged me to take another shot, so i started off with $1 i have got up $50 using judgement, game selection anf good Br management.
I am now grinding the .5/.10 LHE tables and think i can actually get something going this time
Thanks
Michael
Old 01-21-2007, 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
congrats!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks.

[ QUOTE ]
on an unrelated note, i can vouch for the following:
[ QUOTE ]
An M.A. in philosophy is, shockingly enough, not of great utility.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

(A) I'm looking to get a Ph.D., but my philosophy background is weak enough on paper -- I was a B+ math major -- that I've been advised it makes more sense to get an MA and then try to get admitted to a Ph.D. program.

(B) Utility, shmutility. I love philosophy.

--Nate
Old 01-21-2007, 10:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Woah, lol I seen you saying you were about to take the challenge a week ago but couldnt just find the thread. now i find it reaad it all
AMAZING I wish I was there to sweat.

[/ QUOTE ]

You missed quite the online railbirding party.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm actually doing 45man $1,2 and its been alright so far. When did you switch to $5 again or was it 6,50!?

[/ QUOTE ]

I mixed in a few non-turbo 5x45's around the $100 mark or a little before. Once I was around $150 I was moving to the $6.50s.

[ QUOTE ]
Dont yoou think turbo sng are to crapshoot? or is it the way to go

[/ QUOTE ]

They work for me. Something else might fit your temperament better. Getting from 45 guys to 1 guy in 80 minutes will always be crapshoot-ish, but there's enough play.

[ QUOTE ]
peace need sleep BAAddd

[/ QUOTE ]

I won't argue.

--Nate
Old 01-21-2007, 11:00 AM

Hey nate,
Just wanna say congrats on an excellent accomplishment/thread. I started reading this thread at the start of the week but i have uni exams at the minute and forgot all about it. Wish i could have sweated but reading all the posts at one time was awesome too and a good exam time procrastination tool [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks.
IrishPete
Old 01-21-2007, 01:14 PM

I enjoyed reading this thread, but I think there is an important but nitty comment that alot of these people looking how to build a bankroll are missing.

This is not the way to build a bankroll. 4 Tabling $2NL with a 4 dollar bankroll is not the way to avoid busto. Nate did an excellent job of choosing the stakes to play to win this bet, but for a non-expert looking to start a br online there are 3 major things you should do differently:

-stick to one game
-use way way tougher bankroll guidelines before moving up
-play less tables

/nit
Old 01-21-2007, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I enjoyed reading this thread, but I think there is an important but nitty comment that alot of these people looking how to build a bankroll are missing.

This is not the way to build a bankroll. 4 Tabling $2NL with a 4 dollar bankroll is not the way to avoid busto. Nate did an excellent job of choosing the stakes to play to win this bet, but for a non-expert looking to start a br online there are 3 major things you should do differently:

-stick to one game
-play less tables

/nit

[/ QUOTE ]

w_alloy --

You make excellent points. One should note that $2.15 is not even 300 one-cent big bets. Therefore I was underrolled not only for $.02/$.04 but even for $.005/$.01, and I should have stuck to the $.0025/$.005 games on Stars, which I hear are extremely good. (Or, following a 25-full-buyin NL guideline, I would have been somewhat underrolled with ten-cent buyins, and therefore should have played the $.05-buyin NL game with $.00025/$.0005 blinds, again reputedly featuring weak opposition.)

--Nate
Old 01-21-2007, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-stick to one game
-play less tables

/nit

[/ QUOTE ]

w_alloy --

You make excellent points. One should note that $2.15 is not even 300 one-cent big bets. Therefore I was underrolled not only for $.02/$.04 but even for $.005/$.01, and I should have stuck to the $.0025/$.005 games on Stars, which I hear are extremely good. (Or, following a 25-full-buyin NL guideline, I would have been somewhat underrolled with ten-cent buyins, and therefore should have played the $.05-buyin NL game with $.00025/$.0005 blinds, again reputedly featuring weak opposition.)

--Nate

[/ QUOTE ]

By the way, I agree that beginning players should focus first on building skills, and playing fewer tables and focusing on fewer different games are some methods that many players might wisely incorporate toward that goal. Winning a bet and building a bankroll are indeed two different things. If my next meal had depended on not busting those two dollars, I would have been in a world of hurt playing what I was playing.

--Nate
Old 01-21-2007, 03:34 PM

Holy sh*t I just saw this thread.

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 01-21-2007, 03:50 PM

Grats Nate...never in doubt with the approach you took.

3 years ago I grinded $5 9man SnG's for my 1st 1k bankroll starting with a $25 roll.

Lately I took horrible run at 10-20 so I decided to punish myself by playing $10 9man SnG's till I profit 1k. After just 154 so far I'm up $916.

I seriously wonder why you would choose HU and 45 man SnG's with your strategy since variance is the enemy of any such quests. I would think for new players with initial small deposits (or in your case a prop bet) regular 9 man small buyin SnG's is safest direction.

Anyway awesome thread with your constant updates A++ would read again.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Holy sh*t I just saw this thread.

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, dude. Can't compare to your thread, though. And while I have a LHE guru here... how's this flop fold? Everyone involved is very loose.

[ QUOTE ]
Dealt to Mortal Limit [Ah 9h]
skkskk: folds
preston2mo: folds
bolle67: raises $0.02 to $0.04
bjcephus: calls $0.04
NascarJoe: folds
kboy68: calls $0.04
Barby1947: calls $0.04
Mortal Limit: calls $0.04
webb22: calls $0.03
whitespartan: calls $0.02