Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2006, 01:42 AM

Default Re: The college kids not working..it makes me sick.....

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe you didnt get it my friend, being a college dropout and all. 8 words for you "You aint Doyle Brunson. You aint Doyle Brunson."

[/ QUOTE ]

3 words for you, redundant redundant redundant.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm fairly late to this party, but I'll throw in my 2 cents nonetheless.

I don't see poker as an end-all solution. I see poker as a beginning. It presents me with an opportunity to open up a lot of doors for myself. The money I make from poker I can use to make even more money, whether it be a business, real estate, the stock market, etc., but in the end it will hopefully be much more fulfilling than 10-tabling on PartyPoker. I don't see myself grinding like that for very long, although that certainly doesn't mean I won't be playing poker a good while from now, as I love the game.

Compared to some of the guys whom I respect and learn from on a daily basis, I play chump (2/4, 3/6, 5/10 6Max NL) stakes, which monetarily represent a small fraction of the biggest games going on online. The fact that even at my stakes I can be "running bad" in the poker sense, and still be making more than the average US doctor/lawyer is pretty gd crazy, considering the amount of time and preparation it takes to achieve a position within those careers. To me, that is mind-boggling. Poker seriously seems too good to be true.

I'm in college as of right now, and maybe I will pursue some kind of business degree, but I realize that the primary knowledge and experience that I am seeking is going to come in the "real world". I plan on moving to somewhere in Europe next year, grinding more money out of poker, and pursuing those "bigger" goals when I am able to.

Bottom line is, people have the potential to get somewhere in life by taking a variety of routes. Using the opportunities poker presents is one said route. If I can make some money playing poker and use it to start something successful and more fulfilling, I will be pretty happy with myself. And thankfully, more than one person has already shown that it is possible to do so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right on, my opinions on the issue are very similar to this. Poker is amazing for me, in that:
1) I enjoy it very much.
2) I can make much more money playing poker for 20/30 hours a week than I could at any job which i'm currently qualified for.

I plan to play professionally for some time (having just graduated with two degrees that I may or may not use anytime soon). I'm not sure how long i'll play professionally, but whenever I choose to stop playing full-time and move on to something else, I'll have enough money made (both liquid and already invested in a portfolio) to start doing anything I want, and I won't have to put up with a boss or somebody else running my life.

And I enjoy life too much to sit in an office all day and do boring work when I could be outside playing in the mountains or at the beach or spending time with my family and friends.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:24 AM

Awesome post AJFenix, I'm in the same boat and agree with every word.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Doyle Brunson was an idiot for not getting a real job. He should've worked at Best Buy in the summers so people like KKsuited will hire him. Poor guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, and I can sing as well as Mick Jagger. If only I didnt take that job pumping gas at Exxon as a kid I'd be the biggest rock star in history.

[/ QUOTE ]

one word for you friend, "Self-fulfilling prophecy".

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you didnt get it my friend, being a college dropout and all. 8 words for you "You aint Doyle Brunson. You aint Doyle Brunson."

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't blame your hardships on me because the American dream never worked out for you.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:04 PM

u seen that movie "fun with dick and jane" where he ends up in mexcio as a day laborer? yeah, well that was me with an md degree, no joke

being a day laborer was pretty afwul too in case anyone was wondering. i had to get up at like 5 in the morning so i get be standing in line for a crappy job at 6 oclock since theirs only so many crappy jobs to go around that u have to stand in line for one

anyways, so yeah once u do finally get one of the crappy jobs if they have enough to go around they send u off with a couple other dudes who are awesome to work with since their jonsing for crank or drunk and holding your ladder or throwing wood at you

but anyways yeah it gets better too since if u work too fast/hard and finish 8 hours of work in 4 they [censored] that are paying u wont give u a full days pay. oh yeah once too they said they would hold a job for me so i wouldnt have to stand in line at 5 in the morning since a site had requested me but then i went in the next morning at 8 instead of 5 to get my assignment but they had given my job away to a crackhead already. that was fng sweet

but anyways doctors suck too since their always bitching about how their god and they give life to peeps and they should make a gajillion dollars and they hate on the business peeps who do make gajillions. so anyways long point short being a day laborer sucks. so if u have a choice between poker, colllege, and day laborer please dont choose day laboere
Old 06-02-2006, 12:50 PM

KK suited im not sure if you'll ever read this reply but I hope you will respond particularly if it was my post that inspired you to write this

i feel like ur talking about exactly my post from last week, if thats the case i dont know why u didnt just respond directly i wouldnt have listened to you but still..

maybe im just being paranoid becuz alot of the conditions you outlined dont completely apply to me (but close enough. ) becuz a) im not in college anymore im goin to grad school in 9 months but am taking the summer and fall off not becuz of poker but during that time poker will be my income ( well ok that is becuz of poker then) b) i make a fair amount more than 300/wk actually more than double that from RB alone c) i have my own place and pay all my own bills d) ive had plenty of jobs and e) i dont play sngs

ps i would never tell a potential employer about poker im guessin for most that would be career suicide surprisingly even from poker players like urself , some creative resume doctoring would be in order...

If you're not talking about me I think a counterpoint to your point is that most of these college kids ( esp the underclassmen) won't be working an intership relating to their career if they even have a major yet they ll be doing landscaping or busing tables or something that isnt much more benefical than poker and certainly doesnt earn much more if not much less arguably its better for work ethic but arguably poker is better for mental toughness and unarguably for intellectual challenge. And more than likely if they are chosing to play sngs for a job playing a ton of them each week is their idea of a good time if its not its unlikely they ll succeed or be doing it for very long anyways

jstill
Old 06-04-2006, 03:44 PM

I'm late to the party, but I have to respond to this post.

1) 60k is not the (average) starting salary ANYWHERE.

What you make after college is determined by:

a) Your MAJOR
b) The College/ Uni that grants the degree
c) Location
d) Grades

I live in Atlanta and YES the quality of life here is wonderful, but starting salaries aren't as high as the OP suggests. The actual average salary is more around 35k.

I agree with the original poster that work experience is important, but please be truthful; working at a crap retail @ job isn't going to land you your dream job. If you have the chance to work resume BUILDING jobs, do so, but let's not pretend that the avg crap job that most college kids are forced to work really means a hill beans to an employer. For you profitable online players that are majoring in business, acct, finance or other worthwhile majors start your own poker related business, run a site similar to CR or RPT and charge a service and list that business on your resume-- "I ran xxxx.com and we earned X amount over X amout of years and my personal earnings were $X. Join school clubs and take on leadership roles to give your resume substance, but never stop playing poker if it makes you more money than any BS job could.

I've been working since 15 and when I was 19-20 I was making 40k/ year working 80 hours a week and attended college off and on while juggling BS jobs. Employees in my crappy major could give a sh&* about how hard I worked or how hard I had to struggle just to graduate in my fking mid-20's.

SO, YES go to college, obtain internships, play poker, but don't expect things to turn out as good or as bad as people suggest.
Old 06-04-2006, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Get a good degree, some good intern experience, and you'll come out of college making $60k easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a bad overall post, but this part is complete BS.
Old 06-04-2006, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, it is very possible to have a summer job and still get 10-20 hours of poker per week.

[/ QUOTE ]good posting.
Old 06-04-2006, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Get a good degree, some good intern experience, and you'll come out of college making $60k easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a bad overall post, but this part is complete BS.

[/ QUOTE ]

He said good degree. A friend's son graduated Texas A&M Business school and took an 80K job. My son in Poultry Science will be in the 35-40K range.