Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 08:03 PM

Default Re: October Brent and Scott Thread

For Literature and Short Stories and essays, you should also check out the Paris Review, The New Yorker, and Harper's. I prefer the Paris Review out of all of them. All three of these have a solid mix, plus poetry, and are delivered to your doorstep.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:26 PM

Without looking, is this an option I should wait to consider until I'm working and out of college (read: not so poor)?
Old 11-02-2007, 08:34 PM

Probably. If you are over-worked, you may not be able to appreciate all the extra reading, and hard earned money can feel wasted.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:38 PM

Thanks. I'll keep it in mind and such, but it's just probably not well-suited for me at the moment.

I write all this stuff down though, so don't think your recommendations went to waste. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-02-2007, 08:51 PM

If you buy magazines by subscription, they often come out to like a buck each, less than the cost of a sunday paper. The money winds up being pretty small unless you super-hurting as a student. Buying just a few a year on the newsstand is much more expensive.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
potentially driving animals to extinction

[/ QUOTE ]

For the people who take issue with hunting because of this, you should read an article in this month's National Geographic about how much hunters do for preserving the environment and ensuring this doesn't happen.

According to the article hunters donated $280 million to conservation causes in 2006, in addition to the $1.22 billion for hunting and fishing licenses and $616 million in sales taxes on hunting & fishing equipment that is supposed to be used for wildlife conservation.

In addition hunters founded and have supported a number of the major conservation nonprofits. Hunters have been working on this since long before the hippies took it up.

True hunters are really the last people that want to see animals driven to extinction.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

In addition hunters founded and have supported a number of the major conservation nonprofits. Hunters have been working on this since long before the hippies took it up.

True hunters are really the last people that want to see animals driven to extinction.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this. Welcome to the Lounge Lupara [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-02-2007, 09:28 PM

Lupara,

I generally agree. If you noticed from my post, I didn't accuse most hunters of being guilty of this. It's the few killers out there who simply kill for the sake of killing who are more likely to lead to this if they were unchecked. Fortunately, there are enough responsible hunters out there.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lupara,

I generally agree. If you noticed from my post, I didn't accuse most hunters of being guilty of this. It's the few killers out there who simply kill for the sake of killing who are more likely to lead to this if they were unchecked. Fortunately, there are enough responsible hunters out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I read the discussion. I wasn't calling you out or anything. I was just addressing that particular issue. I think the hippies and real hunters pretty much feel the same way about drunken, gun-toting idiots. Personally,I think it's unfortunate that a lot of people don't make the distinction. Also, I'd guess it's the real hunters rather than the idiots that are giving time & money to conservation causes.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:45 PM

What do you guys think about the countless tons of lead shot that duck hunters have put into our water supply over the years?
Closed Thread