Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 07:20 AM

Default Re: mandatory mental health evaluation for gun-rights supporters

Furthermore, I assume since you're so well researched on the topic, that you know that less than 5% of all firearms used in this country to commit violent crimes were purchased legally, in gun shops. The other 95% were purchased illegally.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The best way I can answer that is to point you in the direction of a good economics book. I'm not sure if you have a clue how the black market works, but the guns don't go away, they may rise in price, but they still exist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm, I see that you claim a law enforcement status, that explains your lack of knowledge of economics. A higher price reduces demand (Econ 101... probably well above your abilities... law enforcement in the US is not an occupation that demands a very high IQ, afaik).

Nevertheless I find you claim of law enforcement status most interesting. My bet again, is that your law enforcement status would be at the lowest rung of the possibilities, like a shopping mall security guard!? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Tell me what it is if not that? Looking forward to your reply! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2007, 07:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The best way I can answer that is to point you in the direction of a good economics book. I'm not sure if you have a clue how the black market works, but the guns don't go away, they may rise in price, but they still exist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm, I see that you claim a law enforcement status, that explains your lack of knowledge of economics. A higher price reduces demand (Econ 101... probably well above your abilities... law enforcement in the US is not an occupation that demands a very high IQ, afaik).

Nevertheless I find you claim of law enforcement status most interesting. My bet again, is that your law enforcement status would be at the lowest rung of the possibilities, like a shopping mall security guard!? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Tell me what it is if not that? Looking forward to your reply! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

My responsibilities involve watching over child molestors, murderers, rapists, and gangsters in Georgias newest Level 5 Max Security detention facility.

Afraid I'm way above your mall security gaurd, although from what I've heard, there isn't much difference in an Australian officer and an American Mall security gaurd.

My most commonly used weapon is an M4, with occasional use of an MP5.

What is it you do again?

BTW, I'm almost positive you're no where close to my education level. When you reach my level of understanding of criminal justice, you will understand the concept that in the criminal world, a rise in price doesnt result in a drop in demand, only an increase in crime.

See, all these "NRA guys" you hate work with the people who use guns illegally every day. We know how they think, they're extremely predictable, and we know what they'll do.

If the price of a decent Glock went from $350 to say, $1500, it won't drop the demand for Glocks on the street, just raise the number of carjackings and purse snatchings and burglaries.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My responsibilities involve watching over child molestors, murderers, rapists, and gangsters in Georgias newest Level 5 Max Security detention facility.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah! A prison guard. I wasn't that far off! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
although from what I've heard, there isn't much difference in an Australian officer and an American Mall security gaurd.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder where you heard that from. I presume you make things up as needed! Nevertheless I can assure you that in Australia like the US, I presume (have not heard it, won't make it up) there is a big difference in selection process and breadth of training between prison guards and police officers. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I find it absurd that a prison guard would be entitled to carry a gun outside of his job, but I know that is the fashion in the US. I find it a moronic thing to allow, and I know it is simply because of a very vocal minority, mainly the NRA that it is so.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah! A prison guard. I wasn't that far off! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
although from what I've heard, there isn't much difference in an Australian officer and an American Mall security gaurd.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder where you heard that from. I presume you make things up as needed! Nevertheless I can assure you that in Australia like the US, I presume (have not heard it, won't make it up) there is a big difference in selection process and breadth of training between prison guards and police officers. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I find it absurd that a prison guard would be entitled to carry a gun outside of his job, but I know that is the fashion in the US. I find it a moronic thing to allow, and I know it is simply because of a very vocal minority, mainly the NRA that it is so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, well, I attended the funeral of a fellow "Prison guard" who was shot dead outside his home not too long ago, by an inmate. Guess you're right, our job is very safe, both inside and outside the walls.

Also, for the record, you are correct in training. My hand to hand combat training and rifle skills far outshine the training of your average patrolman.

BTW, I was a patrolman. You're certainly correct, having seen both sides, I prefer mine.

PS. I work with an Aussie. Cocky short guy, always running his mouth to the gangbangers, has been knocked senseless multiple times, because he doesn't watch his back.

As for the firearms off duty thing, attend the funerals of a few of your colleagues who've been gunned down off duty, then tell me I don't have the right to carry a gun.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, well, I attended the funeral of a fellow "Prison guard" who was shot dead outside his home not too long ago, by an inmate. Guess you're right, our job is very safe, both inside and outside the walls.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
As for the firearms off duty thing, attend the funerals of a few of your colleagues who've been gunned down off duty, then tell me I don't have the right to carry a gun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, we are back to agreeing to disagree. Should there be more stringent gun controls in the US there would be fewer in the general population and by definition, in one of its subsets, namely violent criminals.
Yet what you are saying is that the economic law of supply and demand, a very fundamental economic law doesn't apply to criminals! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Your lack of understanding of this is what amazes me the most, especially for someone that has at leasts some experience or training in Criminology. I can't add much to this.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, we are back to agreeing to disagree. Should there be more stringent gun controls in the US there would be fewer in the general population and by definition, in one of its subsets, namely violent criminals.
Yet what you are saying is that the economic law of supply and demand, a very fundamental economic law doesn't apply to criminals! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Your lack of understanding of this is what amazes me the most, especially for someone that has at leasts some experience or training in Criminology. I can't add much to this.

[/ QUOTE ]

MidGe, read up in the thread.. Those charts we tried to show you, seriously, look at them.

What you're saying is a common misconception. It seems like common sense, but it's not true. Gun violence does not drop because gun laws go into effect, because the only people who obey gun laws are people who wouldn't commit gun crimes anyway.

When I was a street cop, because of my age, most of my time was spent working with detectives doing undercover gun buys, when I wasn't buying drugs for the Narcs.

I know the places, I know where to go, that's why I believe what I do. I know with absolute certainty that I could illegally obtain any type of firearm you requested, from the smallest pea-shooter .22 to fully automatic AK-47s, AR-15's MP5's, whatever you wanted.

They're out there. The amount of missing and illegal guns on the street would blow your mind. Whether you believe it or not, the statistics are out there. Guns don't go away just because they're outlawed.

Let me ask you this, does drug usage stop when you outlaw it? No. The difference in drug usage and gun laws is a huge difference, too.

Someone breaking the drug laws, save for some type of driving accident, is much more likely to hurt themselves than me, where as gun laws strip my rights to protect myself and my family, while anyone with common sense knows you can't get the guns off the street.

Do you know that there are cops who've dedicated careers to this mission of getting guns off the street?? An officer I worked with at my old PD once gave me this analogy: "Trying to get guns off the streets of this city is about like this; Go to the beach, take a small broom, and try to sweep the ocean away." This man had spent the better part of 20 years trying to keep illegal guns off the street.

I understand your point of view. I would love to see a world where there was some way to keep guns out of the hands of criminals, but there just isn't.

Also, take this for what it's worth. I was a street cop, now I'm a prison guard, and I absolutely would not entrust my safety to the police.

The police respond after an event has happened. In the event of a violent crime, the police will almost always respond too late. Trust the police if you want, but know you're taking a dangerous risk, asking anyone to be responsible for your security but yourself.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So, your logic is, criminals, who obey no other law, will, out of respect for you, obey the gun laws?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not according to my logic... Your "faulty" logic however assumes that if guns are less readily available they would be as many criminal equipped with them. That is simply moronic NRA propaganda.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you aware that most gun crimes in the US take place in areas that have gun control laws?
Old 10-17-2007, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A higher price reduces demand

[/ QUOTE ]

It also provides incentives for those that want one to violate the law to get it.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:24 PM

Don't you get it, Dbl? Anything that contradicts his world view is NRA PROPAGANDA!!! It is so hilariously ironic how much Midge is like certain christians who refuse to accept evidence that contradict his beliefs. He worships at the alter of the State and defends them like a good little disciple.