Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Puzzles and Other Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2007, 07:20 PM

Default Re: OT: Official POG Baseball Postseason thread

[ QUOTE ]
I dont know if you guys actually get angry at each other or are just putting a show.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't imagine actually getting angry about sports arguments. I do enjoy needling Durron though.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
DURRON WHERE THE [censored] ARE YOU
SHOW YOURSELF PANSY

[/ QUOTE ]

unlike you, i have a life outside of crying about my team losing

[/ QUOTE ]

There is just so much crying to do and so little time. Aside from losing the division series you have:

Losing your HOF coach.

Losing the best player in baseball.

Watching your shortstop's skills decline until he has the defensive range of a fence post.

Looking forward to a choice at first base of the Michelin Man or Mixlplickevitch, the man with all the offensive skills of a pitcher.

I just love Yankee misery.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, you really have no idea what you're talking about, everything in this post is either wrong or undecided.

[/ QUOTE ]

The post was made in jest, but I actually don't think any of these are far off. They are the Yankees so most of this can be fixed, but still.

1. Losing your manager - Sure it's undecided, but I think Torre is clearly gone. One can argue whether that is good or bad, but his press conference made it pretty clear. At this point I would think his pride alone would lead him to refuse George if he asked him back.

2. A-Rod leaving - Yeah this is iffy, but there is a pretty good chance IMO that A-Rod leaves New York, but this is clearly the shakiest argument. It would be hilarious though so I included it.

3. Jeter - He reminds me of Ripken when Ripken moved from Short to 3rd, you can't actually be saying he is a good defensive player?

4. Giambi vs. Mientkiwicz (or however you spell it) - Minky is an awful offensive 1st baseman and Giambi is an aging bloated freak. Money can fix this problem, but I can't imagine either of those options is very palatable for next year.

So which one of those is arguable?
Old 10-09-2007, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

3. Jeter - He reminds me of Ripken when Ripken moved from Short to 3rd, you can't actually be saying he is a good defensive player?

[/ QUOTE ]
Jeter has always sucked at range. He's just saying that Jeter will suck EVEN MOAR at range in the future.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

1. Losing your manager - Sure it's undecided, but I think Torre is clearly gone. One can argue whether that is good or bad, but his press conference made it pretty clear. At this point I would think his pride alone would lead him to refuse George if he asked him back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Steinbrenner is 77 years old and senile. His son is going to be taking over. Brian Cashman said they haven't even discussed 2008 yet. I would say he's about 80/20 to stay.

[ QUOTE ]

2. A-Rod leaving - Yeah this is iffy, but there is a pretty good chance IMO that A-Rod leaves New York, but this is clearly the shakiest argument. It would be hilarious though so I included it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is more likely than Torre leaving but still not a sure thing. Depends how much money Boras can get somewhere else.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is complete BS & small sample size.

[ QUOTE ]

4. Giambi vs. Mientkiwicz (or however you spell it) - Minky is an awful offensive 1st baseman and Giambi is an aging bloated freak. Money can fix this problem, but I can't imagine either of those options is very palatable for next year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doug Mientkiewicz's OPS+ was 112 this year. Conor Jackson's OPS+ was 109 (the diamondbacks 1B). Yes, it means we have our weakest spot in the lineup at 1B but the fact that the entire rest of the lineup is strong (i.e. we have a catcher that hit .335 this year, a good hitting SS and second baseman etc where most teams have holes) make up for it plenty.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I dont know if you guys actually get angry at each other or are just putting a show.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't imagine actually getting angry about sports arguments. I do enjoy needling Durron though.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-09-2007, 07:50 PM

durron,

Will you give me 4:1 that Torre leaves?
Old 10-09-2007, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
durron,

[/ QUOTE ]

i was just about to ask the same thing

80/20 you have lost his mind

id say its 75%+ that he gets fired. If he doesnt, its probably 75% that he leaves on his own. So with the fold equity, pushing allin is way +EV
Old 10-09-2007, 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
durron,

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't bet against the yankees even if it's +EV

edit: but i bet you'll laugh at me 4 times as much if he leaves compared to how much i'll laugh at you if he doesn't
Old 10-09-2007, 08:03 PM

Durron, are you actually saying Jeter is a good SS (defensively)?
Old 10-09-2007, 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Durron, are you actually saying Jeter is a good SS (defensively)?

[/ QUOTE ]

he's certainly not below average. i don't think he's a gold glover anymore but he's not "bad"