Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2007, 08:48 AM

Default Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows discussion thread (SPOILERS)

[ QUOTE ]
1. Port keys somehow didnt work while not in the maze

obv not true as evidenced by the portkey at the quidditch world cup

No, we're saying the portkeys may not work under the protecting magical spells of Hogwarts, not that they ONLY work inside the maze.

[/ QUOTE ]
In OotP, after Harry sees Mr. Weasley in a dream on the verge of death, DD sends the Weasley kids plus Harry to 12 Grimmauld place using a portkey from his office.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:49 AM

Right. Dumbledore sets the enchantments, he can break them when he wants. Like when he and Harry were re-entering Hogwarts after tracking down the locket Horcrux.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Right. Dumbledore sets the enchantments, he can break them when he wants. Like when he and Harry were re-entering Hogwarts after tracking down the locket Horcrux.

[/ QUOTE ]
Harry and DD apparated into Hogsmeade and flew to Hogwarts on brooms.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Harry and DD apparated into Hogsmeade and flew to Hogwarts on brooms.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. And as they were flying in, Harry heard DD murmuring spells to counteract the protective measures placed on the school. So we know he has the power to do this and therefore could probably setup a portkey inside the school when needed.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:28 AM

Ah yes. You are right.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:28 AM

I have a feeling that the severity of the threat dictated how DD reacted...He used the port key when they need to immediately be gone was necessary...otherwise he didnt risk the rest of teh school if it wasnt necessary.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
DD neither built the maze nor knows that it is impossible for someone to disappear. The maze was a product of the comittee that ran the competition and was specifically designed so that no one could see inside the maze. DD would have no way of knowing what was happening or how Harry dies if it happened in the maze. Also, many people have said that Voldemort was risking that Harry would not win and that someone else would get to the portkey first. Realize that this isn't really practical since Moody (Crouch) was the only one that could see inside the maze, using his magical eye, and that he was guiding Harry through the maze while stopping the progress of the other competitors and even eliminating two completely. Furthermore, the AK curse leaves no traces so it would not be known that Voldemort was back.

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as I can remember, only Hagrid and Moody were said to have worked on the maze, but I could def. be wrong on that. Where does it say that?

Either way, when Harry disappears, are these people not going to be questioned? "Hey did you put something in there that sends people away to other places? If so, can you like, maybe tell me where they go?"

[ QUOTE ]
While he was spending time with the death eater that was Moody he wasn't really ever in danger at Hogwarts aside from being in the Triwizrd Tournament. Moody was on the strictest of orders to watch Harry, but would have faced an almost certain death at the hands of Voldemort if he was stupid enough to blow his cover or even worse kill Harry.

[/ QUOTE ]

WHAT?

Are you saying Harry wasnt in danger because Moody-Crouch wanst going to kill him? Umm, OK, HE WAS IN DANGER BECAUSE MOODY COULD PORT HIM BACK WHENEVER HE WANTED.

[ QUOTE ]
Again DD doesn't know the working of the maze.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, he's not going to have a hard time getting info when its necessary.

[ QUOTE ]
Randomly having a portkey to Voldemort is not going to go unnoticed. If Harry is killed outside the tournament DD will immediately know that Voldemort is back because he is 100% sure that he will want to kill Harry himself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Listen to this logic:

- Voldemort wants Harry dead
- Harry Dies

Therefore, Voldemort did it????

Simply because Voldy *would* kill Harry if he were alive, and Harry is found dead, inst proof that Voldemort is alive, since it ignores all the cases where Harry dies for some other reason.

Harry almost dies in every book up until this point, often several times. Many of those cases were Voldemort unrelated.

[ QUOTE ]
obv not true as evidenced by the portkey at the quidditch world cup

[/ QUOTE ]

(as already addressed, I meant this in terms of port keys not working only in HOGWARTS, unless you are in the maze. I mean, if Rowling sticks in this ONE sentence, it completely covers everything up.)

[ QUOTE ]
this is pretty much what was supposed to go down until some [censored] backfired in the graveyard

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, as I asked above, if the plan was to port Harry back, then

1. why is there no mention of it in the book?
2. how are they going to have a dead body hold on to a portkey (book is inconsistent here, since sometimes you need to hold on, othertimes you dont)
3. WHY ON EARTH IS IT PROGRAMMED TO RETURN TO HOGWARTS OUTSIDE THE MAZE?
Old 08-01-2007, 08:36 PM

Absolutely loved the book. Only gripe I really had was I wish Rowling hadn't made it sooo damn obvious at the end of book 6 that Snape was doing it for Dumbledore. I think that would have made the memories of Snape in 7 to be much more powerful and redeem him even more. I mean, if you have spent the whole of book hating him and suddenly find out he did it for love and loyalty it is soo emotive. Instead, for half the book I was just waiting for the exact details on why Dumbledore wanted Snape to kill him, so it became a bit anti-climatic.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Only gripe I really had was I wish Rowling hadn't made it sooo damn obvious at the end of book 6 that Snape was doing it for Dumbledore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering the fandom was split fairly evenly on Snape's motivations, I don't think it was obvious at all.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Only gripe I really had was I wish Rowling hadn't made it sooo damn obvious at the end of book 6 that Snape was doing it for Dumbledore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering the fandom was split fairly evenly on Snape's motivations, I don't think it was obvious at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dumbledore's death didn't really make sense without knowing about the Deathstick and the curse that was killing him, but it was pretty clear that he threw the fight on the tower. If you recall, when the intruders burst onto the tower roof, Dumbledore opts to petrify Harry instead of defending himself. Since it's basically impossible for DD to lose against a handful of Death Eaters at Hogwarts, the only real explanation is that he's throwing the fight and wants Harry safe. It's pretty hard to imagine a scenario following from that where he doesn't expect Snape to kill him.