Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2007, 11:09 PM

Default Re: Knife VS Bat, who wins?

bump because i just watched the eskrima episode of human weapon. in this scenario, does it have to be a louisville slugger, or can it be a eskrima-specific stick? i think this gets a lot more interesting if it's martial art specific weapon vs. martial art specific weapon than baseball bat vs knife, no matter the level of skill of the combatants. a baseball bat is just so much more unwieldy than it's eskrima specific counterpart.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:33 PM

I have run simulations of knife vs bat with skilled users of both. Did 3 runs.

Results -
1st run: Axel
2nd run: Axel
3rd run: Blaze

It looks like the problem for the knife user is that there's no way to avoid the bat swing - if you roll up or down the screen, you lose the initiative. And once you get hit with the bat, you fly back several feet. There's just no way to close the distance. Blaze got lucky the third time and managed to disarm Axel using a grapple.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:16 AM

Blarg is so right in this thread, it's sad that there are people disagreeing with him. Anyways, is the NYC bat/knife simulation DOA, or can it be resuscitated?
Old 07-31-2007, 01:33 AM

Saw this thread for the first time, as retarded as this might be it's kind of interesting to think about.

I think if I had the knife I would take a different approach. I would try to close while dodging the bat swing, at the very least deflecting it. I would then try to grapple and takedown the bat guy. If I can get bat-guy to the ground and pinned, he's basically done, I can pull the knife out of my pocket and he's done.

I think that if you go for the stab as soon as you close range, the bat guy has potential to get away and get in another swing, especially if knife guy is on the ground.

I agree with early posts that the knife has more of an advantage with more experienced fighters. The bat has more of an advantage when the fighters are less experienced because in order for the knife to be effective the knife-wielder has to be agile and able to dodge/deflect a blow from the bat.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I agree with early posts that the knife has more of an advantage with more experienced fighters.

[/ QUOTE ]

see, this is why i bumped this. assuming rather than a louisville slugger, the "bat" fighter got an eskrima stick, in eskrima master vs. eskrima master fight, I may have to take the stick side, because the added range and the defensive advantages of the stick may prove to be the diffrence.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:21 AM

As a doc who has worked a fair amount in ERs I have to give my opinion of seeing the aftermath of BB and knife fights (although I can't say I recall a straightup bat vs knife fight).Knives are a very ineffective way to kill someone in a skirmish (we are not talking about sneaking behind them and cutting their throat or something). I would wager that for every 10 stabbings out there only one person actually dies from it. Maybe less. You have to get very lucky to kill someone in one or two stabs with a smallish knife. And the other thing about stab wounds is that the stabbee often doesnt even realize they are stabbed for a while, they are not even slowed down due to the adrenaline. Even if you managed to hit a major artery, the guy probably has over a minute until he is slowed down any appreciable amount.

A bat on the other hand has immediate results from the sheer force. A head shot is automatic gameover. A good bodyshot would also likely slow a guy down immediately. Even if you could simply hit the hand that holds the knife while he tries slashing you would probably win.

I just can't see a knife having the advantage.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As a doc who has worked a fair amount in ERs I have to give my opinion of seeing the aftermath of BB and knife fights (although I can't say I recall a straightup bat vs knife fight).Knives are a very ineffective way to kill someone in a skirmish (we are not talking about sneaking behind them and cutting their throat or something). I would wager that for every 10 stabbings out there only one person actually dies from it. Maybe less. You have to get very lucky to kill someone in one or two stabs with a smallish knife. And the other thing about stab wounds is that the stabbee often doesnt even realize they are stabbed for a while, they are not even slowed down due to the adrenaline. Even if you managed to hit a major artery, the guy probably has over a minute until he is slowed down any appreciable amount.

A bat on the other hand has immediate results from the sheer force. A head shot is automatic gameover. A godd bodyshot would also likely slow a guy down immediately. Even if you could simply hit the hand that holds the knife while he tries slashing you would probably win.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is clearly a gimmick account of one of the defeated pro-bat people, nice try though.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

A bat on the other hand has immediate results from the sheer force. A head shot is automatic gameover. A godd bodyshot would also likely slow a guy down immediately. Even if you could simply hit the hand that holds the knife while he tries slashing you would probably win.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is clearly a gimmick account of one of the defeated pro-bat people, nice try though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry man, but this is my first post in this thread under any account. Think of some way for me to prove I am not FOS and I will gladly do it.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Think of some way for me to prove I am not FOS and I will gladly do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree with me LDO
Old 07-31-2007, 02:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Think of some way for me to prove I am not FOS and I will gladly do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree with me LDO

[/ QUOTE ]

What does LDO mean?