Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2007, 11:28 AM

Default Re: Official 2007 NHL Offseason Thread

sydney crosby jus signed a 5 year extension with the penguins
Old 07-10-2007, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Zurvan - the Oilers have a stockpile of prospects from their own selections and from the Islanders' gifts at the trade deadline. They're in a unique position to start signing guys to offer sheets.

Also, the Devils supposedly signed Vitali Vishnevsky to a 3 year 1.4 million a year deal. I like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why I said that (in this situation) it's probably a good move by the Oilers. I was responding to his assertion that - long-term - there would be a problem with teams scooping RFA's with huge offer sheets.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

$9 million per. Not exactly the "hometown discount" rumors I've heard floating around, but hey, he didn't take the max. 19 years old and $9 million per year...yikes.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

$9 million per. Not exactly the "hometown discount" rumors I've heard floating around, but hey, he didn't take the max. 19 years old and $9 million per year...yikes.

[/ QUOTE ]

he doesn't start making 9 million until 2008-09.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Zurvan - the Oilers have a stockpile of prospects from their own selections and from the Islanders' gifts at the trade deadline. They're in a unique position to start signing guys to offer sheets.

Also, the Devils supposedly signed Vitali Vishnevsky to a 3 year 1.4 million a year deal. I like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why I said that (in this situation) it's probably a good move by the Oilers. I was responding to his assertion that - long-term - there would be a problem with teams scooping RFA's with huge offer sheets.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is not with the compensation system. Its the fact that a team can sign an offer sheet which they know is going to be matched and get away with it, exactly like the Oilers did with Vanek and drew the ire of all NHL GMs. If the Oilers had to give up say a nonrefundable 1st round pick just to extend the offer sheet, or maybe a $1mil fee refundable only if Buffalo DOESN'T match, it would have prevented them from doing it.

For example, the Rangers signed Prucha for 3mil 2 yrs. If I was a rival GM, especially in the same division, I would have offered him 4.5 mil for 2 yrs, knowing the Rangers would match b.c. otherwise they're giving him up for only a 2nd round pick, while he is worth at least a mid to late 1st rounder. Taking zero risk, I just added an extra 1.5 million to the Rangers payroll.

Same thing with Lundqvist pre-arbitration, obviously the Rangers would match literally any offer sheet b.c. he is untouchable, so what prevents a team from offering him some ridic. 8 yr 68 mil contract knowning they wouldn't have to pay it anyway?
Old 07-10-2007, 04:25 PM

Prucha is trash and if a team signed him for 4.5 million over 2 years, they'd be fools.

Like anything that requires bidding, bidding up other team's players like you suggest has the possibility of getting stuck with them.

This is really not a widespread problem. General managers understand that this practice is loathsome - this is why Vanek is the last major offer-sheet signing since Sergei Fedorov in 1998.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Prucha is trash and if a team signed him for 4.5 million over 2 years, they'd be fools.

Like anything that requires bidding, bidding up other team's players like you suggest has the possibility of getting stuck with them.

This is really not a widespread problem. General managers understand that this practice is loathsome - this is why Vanek is the last major offer-sheet signing since Sergei Fedorov in 1998.

[/ QUOTE ]

Prucha averaged 26 goals last 2 yrs, Vanek 34 goals. How many other 2nd yr players averaged at least 26 - and how much are they making?
Old 07-10-2007, 06:40 PM

Islanders signed Guerin and Comrie along with some other lesser known players. both are short smaller-ish deals. I dont understand giving Guerin 4.5 million, but i guess they felt they needed to get someone.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:45 PM

APXG -

Prucha has run hot in his first two seasons with regard to his shooting percentage - and I don't think his skills mean he will get better. Then add in the fact that he has no size and no other real skills - and he's just not that good a player. He'll be a fringe 2nd line NHLer/fringe waiver player for his career IMO - like Mariusz Czerkawski or Donald Audette.

I predict that Vanek will have 250 more goals than Prucha by the end of their careers.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:36 PM

So after Lundquist, the Rangers have Hossa, Shanahan, and Avery left to sign of their RFAs.

Hossa started to look real good at the end of the year when he played with Jagr. Was that more Jagr and Nylander and less Hossa? Avery will probably take less than market value because he's actually loved in NY right? Shanahan said he only wants to play with for the Rangers. You think they'll resign him?

Bascially just looking for more educated guesses than mine on what the Rangers will do with these 3. Does it all depend on how much Lundquist gets?