Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2007, 03:11 PM

Default Re: Official June Thread: General Discussion/etc

[ QUOTE ]
playing poker part time + normal life >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>> playing pro

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder why you think this. hmm.

here's one: playing pro + winning money (fpps don't count sorry reef) + normal life >>>>>>>>> anything else
Old 06-04-2007, 04:01 PM

Default Re: MSNL [censored] JUNE THREAD

[ QUOTE ]
I heard a rumor that if you dont have rake back on full tilt, you can ask them to close your current account and then just make a new one.

Is this true?

[/ QUOTE ]

that'd be nice but i don't think so. it's so gay i opened my account up there a year or two ago or w/e and haven't dropped any money into the account. now i can't get rakeback with that account. BS
Old 06-04-2007, 04:03 PM

Fairly certain that if you haven't put any money into the account you can just open up another account with rakeback.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:09 PM

As far as the resume gap...I figure if you are making enough money from poker after a few years you can try and open something sweet like a restaurant or a bar (if you have the necessary funds) so that doesn't necessarily have to kill you...unless you want to go corporate and hit up the office scene again.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:15 PM

One thing I love about playing full time is that feared "resume gap". I love it. It means that even if I go busto or online poker ends I will be forced to come up with some business of my own. It means that I am basically lost for "normal job" market amd I will never work 9-5 job in my life.
Hurray !
Old 06-04-2007, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

here's one: playing pro + winning money (fpps don't count sorry reef) + normal life >>>>>>>>> anything else

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true.
I was a web developer for 5 years after graduating college. Then I quit my job to play poker last July.
I suck at poker. I make a little more playing poker than I did at my job, but being my own boss is invaluable.
I thank God every day for the freedom poker provides for me.

Set a schedule, stick to it, and you can have a "normal" life that is not all-consumed by poker.

I am married.
I go to bed by 2 AM every night. I get up by 9 AM every morning.
I go to the gym >4 times per week. I play poker until my wife gets home from work. I spend time with her. Then when she falls asleep, I usually play until 2 AM when I make myself go to bed.

Setting a schedule is very important if you don't want to become a fat, pasty, friendless lump of a man.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:44 PM

for those that are thinking about whether or not they should play poker for a living should first think about exactly why they play poker.

i worked full time as an analyst for a business dealing with benefits insurance. i pretty much just checked files to make sure they were OK and printed out paper work. everytime i got an order to do something i wanted to rip my hair out. the long days of doing tedious work that I had no interest in were killing me inside. the days that were the hardest were the days going into work after having a +10 buyin day at 2/4.

i went pro because i love the game. i went pro because it's fun for me. i went pro because it makes me my own boss. i have nobody to answer to but myself. i went pro because it affords me the lifestyle i want.

it can obv be very stressful during the downswings/breakeven stretches but that's a small price i'm willing to pay for the freedom it provides. if you do it, go in prepared. there are plenty of resources available to those who are thinking about going pro.

whatever you decide to do to support yourself, try to make sure you love it. it makes the hard days alot easier
Old 06-04-2007, 04:45 PM

That seems like a pretty sweet schedule johnny.

I think it is hard for a lot of people to get up at 9 AM and get motivation to work out 4 times a week. Tips for that?
Old 06-04-2007, 04:48 PM

I really hope the resume gap thing is a non-issue. Obviously, I would prefer not to go back to the life I am leading now.

At the same time, I want to keep my options open and try to keep my degree/experience as some sort of backup plan if I go completely life busto.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One thing I love about playing full time is that feared "resume gap". I love it. It means that even if I go busto or online poker ends I will be forced to come up with some business of my own. It means that I am basically lost for "normal job" market amd I will never work 9-5 job in my life.
Hurray !

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT!!