Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2006, 07:19 AM

Default Re: how hard is it to become wealthy?

[ QUOTE ]
How hard would it be to become wealthy if you started off at the age of 20 with $300,000 cash for example? I'm sure some of the young players on this site have this much money. Should they be able to become wealthy merely by using that hypothetical $300k and invest it? (When I say wealthy I mean have enough assets and cash flow that they can live off that without having to work past the age of 30-40 for example)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Very easy IMO. Even better is to have a father that puts that much aside the day you are born, and invests it wisely, and you can be pretty much wealthy by your 20th birthday. (Barring a catastrophic event).
Old 05-16-2006, 07:25 AM

Can you elaborate on how a wee bit? (although im sure its a huge topic). But in this thread people are talking about passive investments and 300k at even 10% annual interset which is a rather presumptions estimate is $778,123 after 10 years. This would be hardly enough to live on and retire early.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:38 AM

I'm sure I'll get shot down for this, but here it goes anyway again:

Double your money every 2 years or less. (41.5% annual compounded). In 20 years you'd have 1,000 times your original sum. (If you could reinvest everything, which at some point becomes very hard or impossible). At some point in the middle you may want to slow down, deleverage or start investing at 5% risk free or other low risk propositions. Similar to what Buffet has done with a twist. Even Buffet seems to be speculating these days (Re. his $/euro massive trade).

Simple not easy, doable not popular, difficult to stick with it for 20 years. And you need a source of income to pay your bills in the meantime.

Start thinking double and you'll start seeing many opportunities around you to do so at low risk. In the meantime park your money at a ~5% safe place.