Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: This is a good idea and I smoke weed
Agree 15 46.88%
Disagree 17 53.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-01-2007, 02:33 PM

Default Re: KG traded to Celtics for Jefferson/othercrap

I was wondering when Clark was going to show up in this thread, and how sharp his dissenting opinion was going to be.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:33 PM

Clark,

And the Rockets got pretty close against a great Utah team. There are worse things in the world.

I mentioned the Gomes thing before (not sure in this thread or the Cs one). I agree with you on that one. Ainge got owned there. No Gomes broke the money aspect, but I think it only left the Cs $50-100Gs short, so they could've worked out something.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think Clark's main contention is that many, myself included, thought Big Al straight up for KG was borderline at best, and Boston probably shouldn't do it. Now we've thrown in an expiring deal, a decent chip in Gerald, and two draft picks (we actually returned the pick Minn owed us in the Wally deal, so it should be a high one). I get that.

However, a lot of that thinking had to do with Paul + KG just wasn't getting it done. It just wasn't worth it. We still wouldn't be much a contender. Ray Allen changes all that. It's a really expensive price. Those draft picks are going to hurt us. But we have a shot now. That's all I ask for.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you sum up my opinion very well.

And it's all the worse that this deal was basically forced by the bad telfair deal and the worse Ray Allen deal. Ainge is simply desperate. I can't imagine that there was anyone else out there who would give anything near this for KG. Where was Minny's leverage? If the Bulls gave up Deng, Tyrus, Noah and a pick (similar package), I would be mortified.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:37 PM

But the Bulls have a really good young core. A bright future of getting bumped routinely in the ECF [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-01-2007, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But the Bulls have a really good young core.

[/ QUOTE ]

So did Boston.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:40 PM

They had Al and Rondo and a bunch of replaceable parts. Gomes was a keeper, but really shouldn't be starting in this league.

It was no Deng+Gordon+Hinrich+Ty+Knicks pick.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So did Boston.

[/ QUOTE ]

If Pierce was say 27 instead of 30, I could have seen the Celts being patient to let the 20-22 year olds develope. But at 30 by the time they would have Pierce would be out of his prime and they wouldn't have enough. Celts had no choice but to do this or be stuck in mediocrity.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So did Boston.

[/ QUOTE ]

If Pierce was say 27 instead of 30, I could have seen the Celts being patient to let the 20-22 year olds develope. But at 30 by the time they would have Pierce would be out of his prime and they wouldn't have enough. Celts had no choice but to do this or be stuck in mediocrity.

[/ QUOTE ]

The implication is that they had no other choice. I disagree.

Really though, it's the culmination of the last two deals involving Roy/Telfair and #5/Allen, two bad deals that backed them into a corner resulting in this deal, the coup de grace that cemented the franchises fate for the next decade.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So did Boston.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The implication is that they had no other choice. I disagree.

Really though, it's the culmination of the last two deals involving Roy/Telfair and #5/Allen, two bad deals that backed them into a corner resulting in this deal, the coup de grace that cemented the franchises fate for the next decade.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clark...if Boston made a couple of Finals in the next 2-3 years, then struggled mightily for the next 5 years or so, would you consider this a failure?

-McGee
Old 08-01-2007, 02:59 PM

I disagree with that. This all has been caused by some bad moves and Ainge being desperate. Clark is right about that.

Signing Scalabrine and Dickau for that much made no sense. The real kick in the nuts was the 2006 draft. Ainge's moves there made no sense. That led us down this whole road. If he did a good job managing, maybe we wouldn't get it done with Pierce (at least not in his prime-slightly less prime), but we'd be in Chicago's position and in a position to succeed with Al and a bright future for many years to come.

edit: However, I disagree with Clark about the Allen deal. It hurt a little losing Delonte, but not a whole lot, and the #5 wasn't helping us a ton. I liked the deal.