Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: DONT YOU WISH YOU LIVED IN MD?
Bastard. 27 100.00%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 01:26 AM

Default Re: Official September Thread: General Discussion, whining .. etc

[ QUOTE ]
this hand sums up my night:

caressmedown posts the small blind of $3
notis12 posts the big blind of $6
The button is in seat #1
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to caressmedown [Ah Ac]
kissynot sits down
ThresherAK calls $6
noluck17 folds
kissynot adds $120
Capdan folds
caressmedown has 15 seconds left to act
caressmedown raises to $36
notis12 calls $30
ThresherAK calls $30
*** FLOP *** [5h 8d Td]
caressmedown bets $84
notis12 folds
ThresherAK calls $84
*** TURN *** [5h 8d Td] [5d]
caressmedown bets $162
ThresherAK calls $162
*** RIVER *** [5h 8d Td 5d] [Th]
caressmedown checks
ThresherAK checks
*** SHOW DOWN ***
caressmedown shows [Ah Ac] two pair, Aces and Tens
ThresherAK shows [Jc Tc] a full house, Tens full of Fives
ThresherAK wins the pot ($597) with a full house, Tens full of Fives

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, his river check tilts me so hard..... wtf? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 09-28-2007, 02:22 AM

wow interesting discussion. i think 100k is certainly more than enough to live comfortably with a family almost anywhere. though, let's remember how this conversation started - college. most jobs you get based on a college degree aren't going to get you more anyways and if you want to be filthy rich you can get a job in a few select fields or you are out on your own.

so where does the potential of a 2mm nestegg at say 25 vs a college education at 23 or something compare? Sure you might get stuck with your zomg 100k/yr can't live anything life style but there are a lot of options for you if you are ambitious, whereas if you go to school, you're working for that 2mm for the next 15 years or more.

lots of people say a college education is a security blanket or a backup a plan. why can't 2mm in the bank be?

edit: i feel like if online poker is still around and i got my nestegg i can always play poker like 10-15 hours a week to more than cover my expenses and simply grow my money if worst comes to worst.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:28 AM

skier,

Umm... Most people goto school and still manage to find time to pull down a decent income. I doubt many make much more when they leave school as when they're in.

Also you comp of 2 mil in bank or a college degree is lollercoaster bad.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
skier,

Umm... Most people goto school and still manage to find time to pull down a decent income. I doubt many make much more when they leave school as when they're in.

[/ QUOTE ]

what [censored] planet do you live on?
Old 09-28-2007, 02:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
$40k a year for a child's college education

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not like you have to pay for this.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
skier,

[/ QUOTE ]

what [censored] planet do you live on?

[/ QUOTE ]

School seriously cuts into your grinding hours?
Old 09-28-2007, 02:54 AM

I dont get it. If you make a bunch of money but not enough to retire on its not exactly difficult to go back to school get a degree and get some kind of job to ease any financial burden.

I think way to often its looked at as you either play poker or go to school. Its relatively easy to do both at the same time and if instead you decide to just play poker it doesnt mean you can't go to college at a later date.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:18 AM

im going to rank my poker skillz in order from strongest to weakest:
losing monies

winniing them back

winning

had 3 separate 10k downswings in last 8k hands
Old 09-28-2007, 03:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I know what you're trying to say and I don't think you are coming off as a d-bag or anything. In South Florida with a 600k house and a family, yeah I can bet $100k probably isn't enough. But in most parts of America, you can get by with $100k very very easily. I think that I could raise a family with $100k a year and be very well off personally. Of course more is always better, but nobody was arguing against that. If my parents could make $30-40k a year work, then I'm sure with $100k a year I could give my family plenty of luxuries and live a very privileged life. I don't think I'm being overly optimistic, either.

[/ QUOTE ]

the thing is people have different perspectives based on what they've experienced.

However, because you could live off of 100k a year now, does not mean that you can live off of 100k in 10 years from now.

Being very conservative, inflation will grow at 3% a year. Your 100k a year will not be growing at all. Thus, by computing the present value of $100,000 10 years in the future with a 3% inflation rate, your 100k will have the buying power of $74,409. In 20 years, it will be $55,367.

So as you get older, when most people will be enterring their prime earning years, you will be dwindling.

Then, this 100k a year is only assuming that you never buy something that eats into the principle.

Lastly, the divide that is forming in opinion is largely based on where people are from. For people living in larger cities or their suburbs, a dollar doesn't go nearly as far.

Then, when you add in purchases such as cars, a house, $40k a year for a child's college education, spending a ton of money on a wedding, vacations, camps, etc. At least I know that I wouldn't want to be constrained to living and raising a family on $100k a year long-term, but things are different for different people.

[ QUOTE ]
Some of the people in this thread are in a fantasy world. $100k/y is not considered enough to make you happy/do what you want? Do you realize how shallow (let alone out of touch with reality) that makes you? You can do a hell of a lot with $100k a year, and I feel sorry for you if you think having a big house/big TV/expensive car is going to make you that much happier. There is nothing wrong with drive, but setting monetary goals as the be all and end all is pretty pathetic.

[/ QUOTE ]

as i said, it depends, but to be honest, i could easily explain how to spend $100k a on a family.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh, assuming a 5% yearly withdrawal rate your $100k is growing with inflation every year. If you withdraw only 4% a year not only will your money more than keep up with inflation it will still be growing.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I know what you're trying to say and I don't think you are coming off as a d-bag or anything. In South Florida with a 600k house and a family, yeah I can bet $100k probably isn't enough. But in most parts of America, you can get by with $100k very very easily. I think that I could raise a family with $100k a year and be very well off personally. Of course more is always better, but nobody was arguing against that. If my parents could make $30-40k a year work, then I'm sure with $100k a year I could give my family plenty of luxuries and live a very privileged life. I don't think I'm being overly optimistic, either.

[/ QUOTE ]

the thing is people have different perspectives based on what they've experienced.

However, because you could live off of 100k a year now, does not mean that you can live off of 100k in 10 years from now.

Being very conservative, inflation will grow at 3% a year. Your 100k a year will not be growing at all. Thus, by computing the present value of $100,000 10 years in the future with a 3% inflation rate, your 100k will have the buying power of $74,409. In 20 years, it will be $55,367.

So as you get older, when most people will be enterring their prime earning years, you will be dwindling.

Then, this 100k a year is only assuming that you never buy something that eats into the principle.

Lastly, the divide that is forming in opinion is largely based on where people are from. For people living in larger cities or their suburbs, a dollar doesn't go nearly as far.

Then, when you add in purchases such as cars, a house, $40k a year for a child's college education, spending a ton of money on a wedding, vacations, camps, etc. At least I know that I wouldn't want to be constrained to living and raising a family on $100k a year long-term, but things are different for different people.

[ QUOTE ]
Some of the people in this thread are in a fantasy world. $100k/y is not considered enough to make you happy/do what you want? Do you realize how shallow (let alone out of touch with reality) that makes you? You can do a hell of a lot with $100k a year, and I feel sorry for you if you think having a big house/big TV/expensive car is going to make you that much happier. There is nothing wrong with drive, but setting monetary goals as the be all and end all is pretty pathetic.

[/ QUOTE ]

as i said, it depends, but to be honest, i could easily explain how to spend $100k a on a family.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh, assuming a 5% yearly withdrawal rate your $100k is growing with inflation every year. If you withdraw only 4% a year not only will your money more than keep up with inflation it will still be growing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, shutup. Just shutup.
Closed Thread