Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2007, 03:47 AM

Default Re: Patriots get caught with camera man taping NY Jets coaches playcal

Yeah, if this is an 8, I guess cap cheating would be like a 7 or something. But I don't think this is an 8. Where does that leave like bribing officials or filling the football with remote-controlled magnets?
Old 09-14-2007, 03:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EU1O-hGxgg

Not sure if this was posted already, but pats haters should love it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The lyrics are perfect
Old 09-14-2007, 04:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, if this is an 8, I guess cap cheating would be like a 7 or something. But I don't think this is an 8. Where does that leave like bribing officials or filling the football with remote-controlled magnets?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll give it a shot

1-Sending fans to cause noise outside the visiting team's hotel
2-Turning down the temp. in the visitor's locker room in the hope of causing more muscle pulls after halftime
3-Paying/telling the visitor's bus driver to show up later then usual to disallow as much stretching/pregame routine as usual
4-Pumping in artifical crowd noise using the stadium's PA system
5-Making trades/signings with the intent of harming your team now for future gain
6-Stealing an opposing team's playbook
7-Video taping the opposing team to study and memorize their signals
8-Cheating the Salary cap to sign players for more then would legally be allowed
9-Bugging the opposing lockeroom
10-Bribing the officials

Obv. this list has a bit of humor to it, and I will say that there's a large gap between 8 and 9.

Cody
Old 09-14-2007, 04:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll give it a shot

2-Turning down the temp. in the visitor's locker room in the hope of causing more muscle pulls after halftime
3-Paying/telling the visitor's bus driver to show up later then usual to disallow as much stretching/pregame routine as usual
5-Making trades/signings with the intent of harming your team now for future gain
8-Cheating the Salary cap to sign players for more then would legally be allowed
10-Bribing the officials

Obv. this list has a bit of humor to it, and I will say that there's a large gap between 8 and 9.

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I tried to think of ways of cheating that were significantly worse than what the Pats did and I had a hard time. But...I still don't think its that big of a deal. So, what does that mean? Its really hard to cheat at football? I mean, in baseball I could think of lots of worse forms of cheating, but in football, I'm sort of stumped. 8/10 seems ridiculously high for this but I don't know what 5 things should go above it.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll give it a shot

10-Bribing the officials

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I tried to think of ways of cheating that were significantly worse than what the Pats did and I had a hard time. But...I still don't think its that big of a deal. So, what does that mean? Its really hard to cheat at football? I mean, in baseball I could think of lots of worse forms of cheating, but in football, I'm sort of stumped. 8/10 seems ridiculously high for this but I don't know what 5 things should go above it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is sorta tangential but it's just another good thing about the NFL. We have its steroid/drug testing program (I don't agree with drugs but whatever) and the difficulty of the teams to cheat. It's pretty hard to cheat in a football game that won't be caught and found out.

Oh the other team had a forign substance on their jerseys, well we'll test all of them

Oh the other RB broke 19 tackles on one play (some came back for seconds), well here, piss in this cup

Now, I will say that stealing radio signals is 8.5 on my list, it's more precise then just stealing hand signals, and more effective. Also, I can't think of much of a way to catch it. Still the NFL is a pretty solid league. Anyone want to accuse Ed Hocculi of taking bribes.

Cody
Old 09-14-2007, 04:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll give it a shot

10-Bribing the officials

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is sorta tangential but it's just another good thing about the NFL. We have its steroid/drug testing program (I don't agree with drugs but whatever) and the difficulty of the teams to cheat. It's pretty hard to cheat in a football game that won't be caught and found out.

Oh the other team had a forign substance on their jerseys, well we'll test all of them

Oh the other RB broke 19 tackles on one play (some came back for seconds), well here, piss in this cup

Now, I will say that stealing radio signals is 8.5 on my list, it's more precise then just stealing hand signals, and more effective. Also, I can't think of much of a way to catch it. Still the NFL is a pretty solid league. Anyone want to accuse Ed Hocculi of taking steroids .

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

Almost TOO easy.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how does this compare to salary cap cheating?

like if this is a 8 on a 1-10 scale whats cheating the cap?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not the most knowledgeable person on the NFL salary cap and doubt anyone else in here is, but I really don't think you can even compare these two things. The NFL allows teams to mortgage future cap space for today, and teams like the Redskins and 49ers have paid dearly for it - but it isn't cheating.

Belichick, on the other hand, committed a flagrant violation of league rules and he knows this. What he did is more embarrassing than if his entire team got busted for substance abuse.

I think Goodell is being very lenient with the Pats, and the team's revenue stream won't skip a beat after all this. A lesser organization (e.g., Detroit Lions) would probably suffer major organizational upheaval that would have everything to do with saving face and nothing to do with any penalty Goodell could enforce.

I'm surprised by how many think Goodell is overreacting. The irony here is the Pats actually stand to lose more if they miss the playoffs and sacrifice their 2nd/3rd round picks. That's how much of a joke this punishment is...
Old 09-14-2007, 04:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The irony here is the Pats actually stand to lose more if they miss the playoffs and sacrifice their 2nd/3rd round picks.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are completely wrong. No team in the NFL would trade would trade the nth pick in the 1st round for the same picks in the 2nd and 3rd. Its not even close.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:21 AM

yeah, that is pretty ridiculous.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:58 AM

this punishment seems quite harsh

i wonder if there is more to the story behind NFL closed doors--perhaps the radio frequency stuff came up