Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2007, 02:44 PM

Default Re: Ask me about Starbucks

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
quids,

You are using "a can of Folgers costs this much" as part of an argument about why coffee in a shop is overpriced?

Man, I wonder how you would react to a five dollar milkshake!

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, I just asked if he made fun of people. I just never got the appeal I guess, you spending way more money (and it is way more money, becuase as I understand it, coffee is a pretty much an everyday thing for most people), it doesnt save you any time, and I may be wrong here, but I doubt many people can tell the difference in taste.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are as wrong as can be. Any coffee drinker will easily be able to tell the difference between Starbucks and Folgers in a blind test. It is as obvious and noticeable as the difference between good and bad beer.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Blarg: I am liking your unbridled aggression here, dude. Take no prisoners!

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh... so I'm gonna catch all this heat and Diablo can just stir up the pot, wtf!

-Al
Old 08-01-2007, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Punkass - if you read the above, you'll see I was a bit pointed in my original post, but then Blarg got very defensive (and still has not answered my question).

You would also think OOT veterans could handle some criticism, and be thicker-skinned.

Carry on.

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

You reaped what you sowed there.

FWIW, I've always liked you as a poster. I was surprised to see you come out of nowhere on the attack.

And I felt what I said was clear enough that it didn't need explaining. I also make it a policy not to get involved in explanations when it looks like people are actually just looking to troll. That just seems to legitimize trolling.

I still like you okay as a poster now, but am surprised at your approach. I don't remember it as characteristic.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:50 PM

What's the highest level of shenanigans you've witnessed? You know, disruptive customers, scammers, criminality, nudity, violence, intoxication, etc.

Awesome thread.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Blarg: I am liking your unbridled aggression here, dude. Take no prisoners!

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, thanks! I'm no fan of being steamrolled, and I didn't start that ball rolling myself, but I'm sorry it started to punk up the thread. I'd suggest haters just PM me, in future.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:55 PM

Al, stop attacking Blarg!

ClassicBob, have you ever dropped a deuce in the ladies room?
Old 08-01-2007, 02:58 PM

CB,

Thoughts on the following:

1) Frappuccino in a bottle v Frappuccino at Starbucks. I've never had one at a Starbucks, but have had the bottled kind. I think they taste pretty good, but for the most part too sweet for my taste. Anyway, how does a store one compare to the bottled one in terms of taste?

2) Doubleshot. Wow, I think it is AWESOME. I love these things. I generally don't buy them much because at the corner store they are some outrageous price (I'm with you, quids!!!) for a tiny little can. But they are delicious. I guess cold espresso doesn't exist in the stores, right? Is there a good way to recreate a doubleshot at a Starbucks store? Like, a bigger, fresher version? Is there a standard hot coffee drink version of the doubleshot - ie: espresso w/ cream, is that something people drink?
Old 08-01-2007, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Al, stop steamrolling Blarg!

[/ QUOTE ]

CB:

Any chance you could push through an initiative to get that eggnog latte served year-round? Maybe call it something different?
Old 08-01-2007, 03:07 PM

Al,

"Also is this just a really convoluted, long-winded way of saying people prioritize their expenses differently?"

If you read through Blarg's response, you'll find that the answer to your question is pretty much yes.

The point I was making was that if you are in debt, struggling to pay your bills, and falling deeper behind each month, then you CAN'T AFFORD to buy $4 coffee drinks at Starbucks.

Blarg's contention is that, if someone prioritizes $4 Starbucks drinks over paying their rent, then in their economic value system, they can "afford" it.

I feel like that is largely a semantic distinction and not a really interesting point at all.

What Blarg and I disagree on 100% is the following:

Blarg: "To be truly economically challenged, you have to be really wanting to be somewhere different from where you are financially. That's where the challenge comes in.

So I think you're incorrect that a surprising amount of economically challenged people are buying coffee at 4 bucks a pop. But you may well be right about how many bums do it."

I know of many people who desperately crave to be in a better financial situation than they are, but are stuck in their rut PRECISELY BECAUSE they make horrible decisions like allocating their limited resources towards $4 Starbucks drinks. So, yes, I do contend that many "economically challenged" people do indeed patronize Starbucks.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2) Doubleshot. Wow, I think it is AWESOME

[/ QUOTE ]

Best thing ever for camping trips.