Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2007, 01:09 AM

Default Re: Ask TheMetetron about living in or visiting Buenos Aires, Argentin

[ QUOTE ]
) Someone asked a question some time ago about racism. We're of Indian descent (nice to know there are some Indian restaurants over there), and so we're a serious shade of brown. I'm sure we're gonna get a lot of stares, but I suspect in the multi-cultural land of Recoleta and Palermo, we shouldn't have any problems. Agreed? (More of a comment than a question)

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly you might get some stares. We really don't see many people of South Asian decent here. But anything of a violent nature towards you because of skin color would be very rare. Also, even though I believe there are a lot more Korean immigrants here, everyone from Eastern Asia is a "Chino." I make mention of this just so you know that being insensitive to those kind of things is the norm here in case some one calls you a Paki. I really don't know that they would say because I've never really walked around with someone from that area of the world here.

[ QUOTE ]
2) We definitely don't want to be around too many tourists - it'll just take away from our main point of visiting the country. Living in Recoleta will probably expose us to lots of tourists and expats, but I suspect we'll still get the feel of living in a different country (where English isn't spoken) - correct? If not, would Palermo be the better bet?

[/ QUOTE ] I really don't see there being too big a difference between the two regarding this. There may be more foreigners and expats in those areas, but there are enough people around that if you want to hang out with argentines, you are never going to be forced to only see foreigners if you don't want.

[ QUOTE ]
3) If we live in Palermo, it will be next to the Las Heras parks (and not too far away from the 3 de Febrero park). That's a good neighborhood, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Should be and you will also be still be close to what is considered Recoleta just so you know. You'll still be getting a feel of that barrio.

[ QUOTE ]
4) I absolutely have to have high-speed internet access. I have a sweet deal with work where I can work abroad and basically tele-commute. With BytArgentina, I suspect I'm communicating directly with the landlord. If I have any problems (e.g. high-speed internet isn't up or running fast), I presumably have to deal with the landlord for this (and that's a hassle I can't necessarily afford). Have you had any problems along these lines?

[/ QUOTE ] I haven't worked with the companies that you talked about but usually this isn't a problem. Just bother them a lot and make it clear that it is a condition of you living there that you have internet set up and you want it the day you arrive. Also remind them of this 5 times. You should be good.

[ QUOTE ]
5) We want to learn tango, but again, not at places typically frequented by expats and tourists. Any idea on what part of the city to go to for local lessons

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a quite a few places for this. Just due to Tango really being something a lot of tourists are interested in you probably will always see some tourists there whereever you go. I've been to a few milongas and one that I always thought was cool and pretty chill is Salon Canning. The internet tells me 1331 Scalabrini Ortiz is the address. I would go there one night and enjoy and there you should be able to pick up a newsletter or flyers or something with a lot of tango resources. Go from there.

[ QUOTE ]
6) Where is the University of Buenos Aires located (cross streets would be nice, but general location is key) - couldn't for the life of me figure this out on my own

[/ QUOTE ] I guess you could say the campus is as big as the city itself. It all depends on what you are studying. Different departments have different bulidings all throughout the city and some departments even have 2 different buildings located quite far from each other.

[ QUOTE ]
7) I play basketball regularly. Do you know if there are parks in Recoleta and/or Palermo where the locals play?

[/ QUOTE ] I don't really play basketball so I don't know. Hopefully someone else will chime in. I don't think you are lost though because I do see hoops around in some parks but I don't remember where. I hardly see people playing though.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:29 AM

To answer the questions Metetron didn't get to...

[ QUOTE ]
1) What is the typical height of the guys and girls in BA? What about weight?

[/ QUOTE ] Don't have numbers but shorter and skinnier then Americans and most Europeans.

[ QUOTE ]
5) Lastly, we need help picking an apartment from two places. One is in Recoleta (French / Pueyrredon) and the other is in Palermo (Ugarteche / Segui). What do we want: safety (even when walking around at night), proximity to park for hanging out (no beach so we have to do something), and of course proximity to cafes, bars, restaurants and all that. Any of you have a suggestion?

[/ QUOTE ] The area on Ugarteche y Segui is a long walk but still walkable to the bar/restaurant areas of Palermo Viejo o Las Canitas. I would probably advise taking a short bus or cab to either of those places. I would consider that area safe as well. Further you are at a pretty prime area for parks. You could walk to a few different ones in almost every direction. You aren't far from Las Heras and you should be able to find some cafes there.
Old 04-26-2007, 03:56 AM

Excellent. Thanks for the responses. I'm sure I'll have more questions, but for now I'm good. Take care...
Old 05-05-2007, 12:16 PM

Just a bump and some info:

If anyone visits here and needs a Spanish teacher for however long they will be here, I can recommend some good ones in the 25-30 peso/hr range ($8-10/hr).

Also, if anyone is going to be staying here for a while and needs medical coverage I have an English-speaking contact at the Swiss Medical Group that you can talk to. She will set it up and be there to help you out with any questions you may have. She's gotten back to me within 24 hours even on the weekends with most questions I've had.

The medical coverage is anywhere from $50-60 for someone in their early 20's, I'm sure it gets more expensive as you get older. However, it is all-inclusive throughout all of Argentina and there is no deductible or co-pay for any services. Dental is also included, as is medical/dental emergencies while traveling outside of Argentina.

PM me for more info about either thing.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:16 PM

If you by any chance read this in the next hour or so - I'm in buenos aires now - which clubs are good to go to today?

And what about the upcoming weekend? (already been to opera bay so if you have other suggestions...)

And do you know of any sporting events/concerts etc. the next couple of days? (leaving on monday).

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-09-2007, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you by any chance read this in the next hour or so - I'm in buenos aires now - which clubs are good to go to today?

And what about the upcoming weekend? (already been to opera bay so if you have other suggestions...)

And do you know of any sporting events/concerts etc. the next couple of days? (leaving on monday).

Thanks in advance!

[/ QUOTE ]

Go to a Boca game this weekend if they are in town.

In the next hour?? What club are you trying to go to at 9 pm?

Asia de Cuba opens tonight at 1am and is fairly good. Gets the Opera Bay after hours crowd heading over there when Opera Bay closes. If you wanted to go out now, I'd suggest Opera Bay for after hours then go to Asia de Cuba afterwards (you can walk there).

Asia de Cuba is at Pierina Dialessi 750 at Macacha Guemes.

For the weekend, Museum is pretty cool. Located at Peru 535 between Mexico y Venezuela.

There is a really good hip hop club on Thursday nights. I can't remember which club it is at, but I believe it to be Club Araoz on Araoz 2424 between Guemes and Santa Fe near the Barrio Norte / Palermo border. If you like hip hop I highly recommend it.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:08 PM

thanks! not going out this early - just leaving my appartment, will try asia de cuba then...
Old 05-09-2007, 09:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
thanks! not going out this early - just leaving my appartment, will try asia de cuba then...

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are still at home, PM me. Pretty sure I'm going there tonight then leaving straight from there to the airport for my flight to Chile.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:53 PM

So I'm finally getting close to making my way down to BA for a visit in mid-June, probably followed by the "big move" late this year. Some real basic questions:

- will my cell phone be totally usesless in BA?
- are special adapters required for plugging into electrical outlets (or is that AC/DC thing only for Europe?)
- I'll be renting an apartment from BytArgentina.com that has high speed internet access. I will be buying a laptop (I currently only have a PC) -- what type of network connections will I need to plug into the internet access?
Old 05-16-2007, 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I'm finally getting close to making my way down to BA for a visit in mid-June, probably followed by the "big move" late this year. Some real basic questions:

- will my cell phone be totally usesless in BA?

[/ QUOTE ]

Everything is GSM down here. If you have an unlocked GSM phone, then no. Otherwise, yes.

[ QUOTE ]
- are special adapters required for plugging into electrical outlets (or is that AC/DC thing only for Europe?)

[/ QUOTE ]

The plugs here are different. We also run on 220V and not 110V like the United States. Your appliances either need to be dual voltage or you need a transformer. Most computer things are dual voltage. You can buy an adapter in power strip form (6 American outlet power strip with Argentine plug) for like $10 or less at a bunch of different stores.

[ QUOTE ]
- I'll be renting an apartment from BytArgentina.com that has high speed internet access. I will be buying a laptop (I currently only have a PC) -- what type of network connections will I need to plug into the internet access?

[/ QUOTE ]

The internet access will either be Wifi or wired. If it is Wifi, you need a wireless network card. If it is wired, you need a standard issue CAT5 cable.