Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2006, 03:22 PM

Default Re: Trip report/ask me about time in maximum (and minimum) security pr

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also Gabe's Place apartments suck. I'm in one now.

[/ QUOTE ]

The one on 1st and Gregory always looks dirty and run-down. I do like the out-of-use Mountain Dew vending machine on the side of the building however. I hope the rent there is dirt cheap.

[/ QUOTE ]
my roommates g/f lives there now, the insides are crap. small and run down. rent is cheap though.we once tried to steal that vending maching to make it into a kegerator, but the cops kept driving by [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-13-2006, 03:38 PM

Man, I read the OP and I am shaking. I am DEAD MEAT if I ever go to prison ... thank God I'm such a loser and don't do anything exciting.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:32 PM

Nice post MT2R, I go by the Joliet prison each day on my trainride home from work.

A question about on of the more basic things, how do haircuts work?
Old 12-13-2006, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am DEAD MEAT if I ever go to prison

[/ QUOTE ]

I kinda knew this before, but this thread has confirmed it.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:56 PM

Great trip report! Thank you very much for sharing as I obviously had a large number of misconceptions regarding prison. As a number of people have said I'm sorry you had to go through this, but I am glad you found this positive from the experience (sharing it with the OOT community).
Old 12-13-2006, 05:41 PM

This was one of the best reads I have seen on this site. Thank you MT2R.

If you had stayed at Joliet for a longer period of time, like years, would you have felt the need to join the Arians? Did you look at the group as an extreme racist group like they are in the outside world, or did you view them as a group of white guys trying to protect each other in prison?
Old 12-13-2006, 06:03 PM

MT2R,

When you refer to Joliet prison are you referring to Will County or Statesville. I've known people who are/ were in the system and most of them were processed through Statesville, which is a max prison. Just wondering. Great post and good luck to you in the future.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:48 PM

MT2R,

It sounds like even though you were at Joilet in gen pop a short time (2 months?), had only limited contact with other inmates (1 hr/day max?), weren't an easy target (5'7" 190 and in shape isn't someone i'd want to mess with) and did everything you could to avoid confrontations, you were a nervous wreck and came out emotionally scarred. In retrospect do you think you overreacted, or was there real physical danger for a guy like you? Do you think one incident during your time there was standard for someone in your situation? You mentioned being California's "friend" protected you somewhat, if you hadn't associated with him how would your time have been different? If you knew you were going back to Joilet and had to spend a full year in general population (assume California has been transferred), would you join the arian brotherhood?

Also thanks for this thread. Great read. The fact that you say it isn't hard to write/talk about says a lot for how well you've recovered from it.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:15 PM

MT2R,

Very interesting thread. It sucks that you got so much punishment for such a (relatively) minor offense. It really sounds like you got screwed by the system. And it really sucks that it has affected your career and employment opportunities later on in life. It sounds like you are a smart well educated guy with alot to offer.

I was in a very similar situation when I was younger. Got busted for selling pot in college. Charged with felony possession - over 5 lbs. Fortunately, I got 5 years probation and got off after 2.5 yrs with no jail time. Since then I got my law degree and my MBA but I still have the felony on my record and it makes it hard to ever live a normal life or get a "real" job. I recently got my licence to practice law despite having this past criminal record. They gave me a 2 year probational license.

You might still have a shot at getting your CPA licence and I would definately keep trying. Getting a job is still a problem. I guess that is what leads so many degenerates to poker [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Good luck in the future.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:37 AM

Great thread. Best I have ever read on 2+2, partly because the topic is very interesting and party because OP is an excellent writer. I don't have to read the quote in the replies because the answer is so well written its pretty easy to figure out the question. Actually, I would have saved a lot of time by just read all of OP's posts in the thread. You should try to do something in writing OP, seriously.

Now for my question. Since its getting close to the holidays, did you guys do anything special for Christmas or New Years? (I had better ones but they were asked and answered already)

[ QUOTE ]
Good post. I used to be a correctional officer and I disagree with this statement however:
[ QUOTE ]
You are not a person to a guard and that should never be forgotten.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A buddy of mine is a prison guard at a maximum security prison, he's a supervisor now, every time we are drinking together he usually says something like "They are all just a bunch of animals. I hate every [censored] one of them."