Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2007, 10:56 PM

Default Re: Knife VS Bat, who wins?

A big reason the people who have some martial arts experience are overwhelmingly choosing the knife is that they know through experience how quickly distance can be closed.

That's not something that seems instinctually correct, so common sense is no help here. You have to experience it to believe it, and repeatedly. It's astounding how fast people can cover ground. The disbelief in this thread is proof of just how hard it is to believe that. Despite that there are major martial arts styles premised around it.

After years of very devoted training, as an example, I couldn't even so much as kick our head instructor's shin, because he could close so fast. And I practiced not being telegraphic all the time. He let me try as much as I wanted, and I tried it in sparring, too. Forget it.

But you don't have to be a martial arts master to do it. Put a guy in a few months of wrestling class and he could get pretty good at that, too. Threaten a guy with getting beaten to death with a baseball bat if he does NOT do it, and you're going to see plenty of courage, speed, and aggression.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A big reason the people who have some martial arts experience are overwhelmingly choosing the knife is that they know through experience how quickly distance can be closed.

That's not something that seems instinctually correct, so common sense is no help here. You have to experience it to believe it, and repeatedly. It's astounding how fast people can cover ground. The disbelief in this thread is proof of just how hard it is to believe that. Despite that there are major martial arts styles premised around it.

After years of very devoted training, as an example, I couldn't even so much as kick our head instructor's shin, because he could close so fast. And I practiced not being telegraphic all the time. He let me try as much as I wanted, and I tried it in sparring, too. Forget it.

But you don't have to be a martial arts master to do it. Put a guy in a few months of wrestling class and he could get pretty good at that, too. Threaten a guy with getting beaten to death with a baseball bat if he does NOT do it, and you're going to see plenty of courage, speed, and aggression.

[/ QUOTE ]

this post is very on point, but i suspect another 5 pages of arguing before the thread dies and we wait another year
Old 07-11-2007, 04:15 AM

I didn't read the whole discussion, but anyone saying a bat has no clue about street fighting. I took some Tae Kwon Do lessons when I was younger and we did some street fighting type of things and a bat isn't going to hurt you that bad when it hits. As long as when they go to swing it you get in as close as possible it's not a problem. All of the power comes at the tip of the bat and if you can avoid getting hit by a full on barry bonds swing at the tip you should be fine. On the other hand, one slash with a knife is going to cause some serious damage especially if you are fighting for your life and don't care about what happens to the other guy.

Seriously though, if you disagree - you are an idiot.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:28 AM

oh good, someone else who hasn't read the thread is here to provide some unique and heretofore unrevealed insight
Old 07-22-2007, 07:21 PM

wtf, didn't I make this thread a while ago?
Old 07-23-2007, 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ive seen a dude with a bat get his ass kicked vs a guy with nothing in his hand

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-23-2007, 12:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
oh good, someone else who hasn't read the thread is here to provide some unique and heretofore unrevealed insight

[/ QUOTE ]]

Kife>Bat
Old 07-23-2007, 12:15 AM

Knife always. The batsman has one good chance at a distance. But if he goofs that, and the knife wielder knows what he is doing, the batsman is dead meat.

Also, if confronting a bat or stick with a knife, you should run the knife down the bat using it as a guide to cut the guys fingers, effectively disarming him.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:47 AM

The question should be (and it's the only way to answer this): If you were facing a SPLITTING IMAGE of yourself in a battle with a knife or bat, who would win.

Let's assume that knife throwing is out of the question. If I were facing a splitting image of ME (there we go), then the guy with the bat is winner. I'm [censored] retarted when it comes to agility and speed, but I'm 6'4 and my reach is really nice. So, with a bat, I can take a nice healthy swing and [censored] my "opponent" up really badly. Even if the knife manages to stab, I doubt my "opponent" gets a good one in, because "he'd" be holding the knife incorrectly and would only get a flesh wound in before the bat smacks the [censored] out of his back and pummels him to the floor. Then, the "opponent" with the knife would be like "no, no, no," and I would keep hitting with the bat until he couldn't fight anymore. Then, because i'm an overly sentimental pussy, I'd probably call emergency and flee the scene.

I guess "killer insinct" is something which may come into play - I mean, if I had a knife, could I endure the pain of a bat while I try for a hard stab into the gut / leg. My answer is "no," as I think my "opponent" (now with the bat) would be smart enough to start hitting the skull until I lay on the floor.

Barry
Old 07-23-2007, 12:21 PM

I have no desire to read this thread but knife...

I even if I got hit 1st I could stab the guy in the gut and get away with a broken left arm that was used to block at the very worst..