Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2007, 01:25 AM

Default Re: Official NE Patriots gogogogo to the SB thread

i'm really starting to think that people have been creating false accounts that are boston fans just to give us all a bad name. it's really not THIS bad people.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You are dealing in absolutes and you are assuming quite a lot, which I believe is where the problem lies. My position is that he accepted a trade/paycut to play with the Pats because he enjoys winning and enjoys money. The money is likely the more important of the two but Im willing to believe they are equal. Why would he stay in Oakland and look for a one year "prove-your-self" deal when he could just accept the trade and play with one of the best QBs of our, or any, generation? Do you not see how that is much more profitable from his perspective?

Now, what I am not saying, is that he doesn't care at all about winning and that he is looking for a monster contract from some [censored] team. But it is clear (isn't it?) that he will make a lot more money if he resigns with the Pats for a 7-10 per year with a decent signing bonus then if he had stayed in Oakland.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you aren't assuming anything...yeahhhhhhhh.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:27 AM

I knew as soon as Epip found someone to argue with this thread would explode for a bit, I was not disappointed.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You are dealing in absolutes and you are assuming quite a lot, which I believe is where the problem lies. My position is that he accepted a trade/paycut to play with the Pats because he enjoys winning and enjoys money. The money is likely the more important of the two but Im willing to believe they are equal. Why would he stay in Oakland and look for a one year "prove-your-self" deal when he could just accept the trade and play with one of the best QBs of our, or any, generation? Do you not see how that is much more profitable from his perspective?

Now, what I am not saying, is that he doesn't care at all about winning and that he is looking for a monster contract from some [censored] team. But it is clear (isn't it?) that he will make a lot more money if he resigns with the Pats for a 7-10 per year with a decent signing bonus then if he had stayed in Oakland.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Extrapolate plz. I know I am likely assuming a few things but some things are reasonable to assume (athletes need and want money and also like to win) and some, not so much (all athletes want to do is win and money be damned).
Old 11-21-2007, 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Extrapolate plz. I know I am likely assuming a few things but some things are reasonable to assume (athletes need and want money and also like to win) and some, not so much (all athletes want to do is win and money be damned).

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course most athletes want and need money and also like to win. Of course most athletes would value money over winning, especially early in their careers.

However if you think that the facts point to Moss valuing money just as much or more than winning you have your head up your ass or you just aren't very smart.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Why would he stay in Oakland and look for a one year "prove-your-self" deal when he could just accept the trade and play with one of the best QBs of our, or any, generation? Do you not see how that is much more profitable from his perspective?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-21-2007, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The chances of Moss suffering a career ending injury in 1 year of playing is like roughly 1 percent.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, how did you arrive at that figure? amazing predictive power you have there. again, it doesn't have to be career-ending to damage his value. even formerly durable WRs on the wrong side of 30 can start getting beat up awful quick (see Harrison, Marvin).

[ QUOTE ]

And no one thought that Moss would get 6 years 60 million before the season started, and there is almost no way even with Moss putting up the ridiculous #'s he has so far that the Patriots would pay him that anyway. They will just franchise him instead and get him for 1 year for cheaper money.

[/ QUOTE ]

of course no one thought moss could get 10MM/yr before the season. except randy moss, and that's what matters. you think he didn't know he was still a beast? really? you think he didn't know he could put up ridiculous numbers for this team?

look at what guys like harrison, wayne, and ocho cinco made last year. now consider that the salary cap continues to rise and that moss is as good as, if not better than, each of those guys. then tell me again that you expect him to sign for 4 years at 4-6 million per.

do you seriously think the patriots will franchise moss? and risk pissing off a guy who has been known to turn his back on teams, who also happens to be the most freakishly talented WR on the planet earth?
Old 11-21-2007, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Why would he stay in Oakland and look for a one year "prove-your-self" deal when he could just accept the trade and play with one of the best QBs of our, or any, generation? Do you not see how that is much more profitable from his perspective?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is results oriented thinking. Not many people, if any thought that Randy Moss would be getting 7-10 million for the next 5-6 years when he accepted the trade, especially playing for a QB like Tom Brady who is known for spreading the ball around and not speficially targetting one guy.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It was obvious he was not even remotely engaged in Oakland but had enough faith in his skills to take a gamble. In addition, Pats Offense >>>>>>>> Oakland's offense. Even if he was not a true number one for the pats, his numbers would still much better than they were in Oakland. Their offense is a mess.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

of course no one thought moss could get 10MM/yr before the season. except randy moss, and that's what matters. you think he didn't know he was still a beast? really? you think he didn't know he could put up ridiculous numbers for this team?

look at what guys like harrison, wayne, and ocho cinco made last year. now consider that the salary cap continues to rise and that moss is as good as, if not better than, each of those guys. then tell me again that you expect him to sign for 4 years at 4-6 million per.

do you seriously think the patriots will franchise moss? and risk pissing off a guy who has been known to turn his back on teams, who also happens to be the most freakishly talented WR on the planet earth?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-21-2007, 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The chances of Moss suffering a career ending injury in 1 year of playing is like roughly 1 percent.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, how did you arrive at that figure? amazing predictive power you have there. again, it doesn't have to be career-ending to damage his value. even formerly durable WRs on the wrong side of 30 can start getting beat up awful quick (see Harrison, Marvin).

[ QUOTE ]

And no one thought that Moss would get 6 years 60 million before the season started, and there is almost no way even with Moss putting up the ridiculous #'s he has so far that the Patriots would pay him that anyway. They will just franchise him instead and get him for 1 year for cheaper money.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

By following the game of football. Seriously for every Marvin Harrison there are so many other guys who stay healthy for that specific year. It was an estimation. Do you really think the risk is that much higher? If so, what percentage would you estimate Moss getting drastically slowed down due to injury?

And of course about the contract, we might as well just wait and see what happens. I don't doubt that the Patriots won't spend 7-10 mil on Moss per year if they absolutly have to in order to keep him. And maybe my contract expectations were a little on the downside. But I am almost 100 percent sure Moss will take a good sized paycut in order to stay a Patriot assuming nothing drastic happens from now until seasons end, and I would not be shocked if Moss got a lot less than you people expect him to because it looks like he wants to stay a Patriot and wants to win more than anything else.