Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: DONT YOU WISH YOU LIVED IN MD?
Bastard. 27 100.00%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 10:33 AM

Default Re: Official September Thread: General Discussion, whining .. etc

[ QUOTE ]
So, if one day you had a family, and like always, the social expectation was that your kids would attend college as a normal route towards advancement in the everyday world, wouldn't it be kinda tough to encourage them to strive for it if you didn't complete college.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope to be a good enough parent to where it wouldn't be tough for them to complete college.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
there is life after 30 years old and I sincerely doubt for most of us it includes pokre

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll toast to that..... we're all gonna be retired

[/ QUOTE ]

holla

im gonna be chillin on an island maybe checking up on my investments from my laptop on the beach with a beach chair made of $100 bills while making plans for the evening

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 09-27-2007, 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
there is life after 30 years old and I sincerely doubt for most of us it includes pokre

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

holla

im gonna be chillin on an island maybe checking up on my investments from my laptop on the beach with a beach chair made of $100 bills while making plans for the evening

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-27-2007, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
kyle, stay in, there is life after 30 years old and I sincerely doubt for most of us it includes pokre

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How much do you guys think you need to retire? I was thinking 2mil-3mil range, right?
Old 09-27-2007, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I stay in touch with a lot of people from my college, and people from other colleges who've graduated in the last couple years. 99% of my friends don't like their jobs, don't like the money they are making, and in many cases, both. I tell them to start working for themselves but they don't know how, school hasn't taught them any of that. I'm not against college at all, I went, graduated with 2 degrees, but will never use either. College is great for most people who want a security blanket so they can hopefully retire in their 50's or 60's. For people who want to make a LOT of money and have the ability to retire young college is not the best route.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not exactly easy to just "work for yourself." When you tell your friends this - what are you envisioning?
Old 09-27-2007, 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
LOL school

[/ QUOTE ]

if i was making the type of money i am now, no way i wouldn't have dropped out. and i think you make more than i do jfish.

$$$$$ > school

[/ QUOTE ]

So, if one day you had a family, and like always, the social expectation was that your kids would attend college as a normal route towards advancement in the everyday world, wouldn't it be kinda tough to encourage them to strive for it if you didn't complete college. Not to mention the environment is still not the same if you're not actually going to school. I took last year off, and this year has been much more fun so far.

Additionally, my graduation present is becoming bff's with barry greenstein and having him teach me everything about life, so I have a minor incentive.

P.S. I am in no way trying to be smarmy or condescending by saying "well, blah blah, raising kids, blah blah," because I obviously don't know [censored] about it. But it seems like it would kinda be like a red A on your chest in some circles, and additionally winning an argument with a teenage child might become more difficult.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, I don't disagree with your points. I'm wired a little different- if I wasn't playing poker, I'd be doing something else for myself, not working a job. A college degree 95%+ of the time is just a security blanket. For people who want to make millions, a college degree for the most part is not going to help. I agree living the college life is better than living by yourself grinding poker, but if I was in a situation where I was in college and making tons from poker I'd drop out and live with friends going to college, so I'd still live the college life. There's so much money to be made, even if you weren't going to play poker. A smart person could make wayyyyy more doing something on their own than working a job that they acquired because of what they learned in college. (not talking about all jobs, but most obviously) It's a lot different I think for people going to Ivy league schools who can make a lot right out of college, and have the connections through college and internships to be making 7 figures per year by 30. (although those same things can be acquired outside college though as well.)

I stay in touch with a lot of people from my college, and people from other colleges who've graduated in the last couple years. 99% of my friends don't like their jobs, don't like the money they are making, and in many cases, both. I tell them to start working for themselves but they don't know how, school hasn't taught them any of that. I'm not against college at all, I went, graduated with 2 degrees, but will never use either. College is great for most people who want a security blanket so they can hopefully retire in their 50's or 60's. For people who want to make a LOT of money and have the ability to retire young college is not the best route.

sorry for rambling

[/ QUOTE ]

this post seems borderline retarded to me. there are not many jobs, outside of 'working for yourself' wtf that means that do not require, or will not be bettered by having a college degree.

perhaps i am biased because I go to a good school and also by the fact that working in the financial industry mandates that you at least have a college education. i am not sure how you think that 'anyone can work for themselves and make xyz.' If everyone could work for themselves, not go to college, and make millions they would probably do that already, dont ya think?

and also, lol at you guys who think you are going to retire by 30 or be able to live the rest of your life off of 2MM
Old 09-27-2007, 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
perhaps i am biased because I go to a good school and also by the fact that working in the financial industry mandates that you at least have a college education

[/ QUOTE ]
many higher ups in the financial district (mortgage brokers/etc.) do NOT have a college degree.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
perhaps i am biased because I go to a good school and also by the fact that working in the financial industry mandates that you at least have a college education

[/ QUOTE ]
many higher ups in the financial district (mortgage brokers/etc.) do NOT have a college degree.

[/ QUOTE ]

This will still be the exception, and it is proof that the cream rises to the top regardless of 'schooling'. Schooled cream rises a little faster typically. :P
Old 09-27-2007, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This will still be the exception, and it is proof that the cream rises to the top regardless of 'schooling'. Schooled cream rises a little faster typically. :P

[/ QUOTE ]

right. going to school can almost never be a negative. any immediate +EV that I am giving away by going to school and not playing will be vastly made up for in 10 years when I am making 10x what I could possibly be making in poker.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

different era though i think. for example most traders in the UK now started off working at as a paperboy in the 1980s at the trading firms. rose the ranks during the 90s. now are earning millions and millions.

you can't do that now, you will stay a paperboy becuase those with top degrees in engineering, maths and maybe economics will get those jobs instead, unless you have a huge talent or family connections.

shame, but way it is i think.

if you can become wealthy without working for a finance company, then by all means do so. if i could i certainly would. but i dont think i could, so i'm going for the finance job option.

working for youself making millions >>>> working for a company making millions

but it's 50 times harder i'd say to make it by yourself that working for a finance firm.

gl whatever anyone chooses.
Closed Thread