Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2007, 02:07 AM

Default Re: Ask a music scene micro celebrity

yeah, i know - first time poster, linked from stereogum, how annoying. but i read this:

"I think you're a defeatist and you are destined not to enjoy music. If you wait for other people to thrust music under your nose, you'll be listening to nothing but crap for a long while, because that's what gets thrust at us. Music is not a spectator sport."

and had to repeat it. well said steve. see you at the tables - FT name: antiexplode.

heart - dave
Old 07-09-2007, 09:40 AM

steve, what do you think of sheryl crow's "anything but down"?

it's awesome, isn't it
Old 07-09-2007, 10:09 AM

Steve,

I don't know much of Nancarrow - heard one piece played live at Carnegie Hall this year - but you've convinced me to check it out.

Some of the best innovations in music definitely came by accident - Steve Reich's discovery of 'phasing' and Brian Eno's tape loop experiments come to mind.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:09 AM

Steve, can you ask the people who are going to post for the first time in this thread, before they do so (or even after), to please sign up at a poker site and post their screen names?

I see that member 'antiexplode' has already had the foresight to do so.

Two more questions:

What's your motto?

What does every girl really want?

Thx, and nice title.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:37 AM

how did you like working with serena maneesh?

i heard a rumour that you'll be working with silver as well.
what do you think of what you've heard of them before?

-a curious norwegian
Old 07-09-2007, 11:40 AM

this has turned into a "State an obscure band or musician that Steve Albini has worked with" thread
Old 07-09-2007, 12:10 PM

i'm not sure if foresight is the right word, arbuthnot, since i've been playing as antiexplode on FT and pokerroom for something like 4 or 5 years now, but i do get what you're getting at. which also made me think of a couple questions:

how has your game changed since the chris moneymaker won the WSOP? do you play in enough public tourneys or public games to make it rich/get extremely frustrated by lucky newbies?

in NLHE, how do you play low pocket pairs? this question is kind of for every poker player, i couldn't find a thread on here for it (maybe someone can post a link?).

heart - dave
Old 07-09-2007, 01:29 PM

Do artists mostly come to you to with work, or do you ever actively seek out a band you'd like to record with?

Do you think you could make a great album with a band like Tortoise?

Favorite album of all time?

Best concert moment?
Old 07-09-2007, 01:31 PM

I would love to hear about anything having to do with your work with Barkmarket. I've been a huge fan of them since the mid-90s and, for a while, ran the only Barkmarket webpage that I knew about. Unfortunately, I was unable to see them live when they were still together; I do have a small collection of live video/audio material from them, but that's about it (other than the studio releases).

They're one of the more underrated bands of the 90s. Their grooves, time signatures, non-stop Dave Sardy growling -- the whole thing was really something else.

So, yeah -- anything related to Barkmarket, I'd LOVE to hear it!
Old 07-09-2007, 02:06 PM

your comments on Urge Overkill make me think they're Bitch Slap!

of course I know you aren't mixerman, but you must have some similar stories of recording sessions gone wrong, anything in particular?

I seem to remember you writing a diatribe on the loudness wars at some point. Any thoughts on how to stop the mangling of music and allowing dynamics back?

How has your experiment with the different quality levels of downloads worked out? do you see people care about sound quality anymore?

Does it ever frustrate you to know that you take such time and dedication to getting "that perfect drum sound", and the vast majority of people listening wouldn't know the difference if it took you an hour to set up the snare mic or just taped a plastic realistic mic to the head? (of course, that just might be the perfect drum sound, studio experimentation sure is fun!)

thanks for still making records on tape. though I've recorded digitally due to convenience, there is nothing like a properly recorded analog recording. If only there were more like you.

been checking out 2+2 for years, never expected to be posting about drum recording here!