Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What's your move?
Shove it 25 89.29%
Call 2 7.14%
Fold 1 3.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-04-2006, 06:27 AM

Default Re: Official statement from PokerStars

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just imagine for a minute Party or Stars would be successful shooting down this part of the bill. Public outcry about foreign companies influencing American politicians would immidiately ensue...

[/ QUOTE ]

ORLY? Public outcry? Far less than 1% of the US population knew this bill existed, let alone cared whether or not it got passed. If it hadn't passed, then the only difference woiuld that a few bible thumper special interest groups would get mad at Frist for not supporting good Christian values. Other than that, it would go completely unnoticed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm bummed that it happened, but this is pretty much how I feel about it.

The bottom line is that Congress has the right, and some would say the resposiblity, of passing laws to protect and promote the public good. And judging from the posts on this forum about losing all the "fish" they did just that.

[/ QUOTE ]

You think congress has the right and responsibility to prohibit adult Americans from a form of recreation, because it is bad for some people? You sir, and people like you are the problem. How did we end up with so many people in this country who define freedom so narrowly, and value it so lightly? I am sick to my stomach.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:27 AM

Default Re: 2+2

[ QUOTE ]
He's probably too busy translating the books into French, German, Farsi and Chinese to issue a statement

[/ QUOTE ]

Finally a good laugh in a time of sadness.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Stars seems to me to be following the worst course with a "wait and see" attitude. Wait and see for what? The bill is going to get signed. And if they are going to wait for the financial regulations to come out and see what effect that has on players getting cash in, then they are taking the legal risk for nothing if they decide to bail later, because the US gov't will still have deemed them to be doing something illegal in the interim.

Also, to the player who quoted player figures for Absolute above, you are full of [censored]. Absolute is a SMALL site. Check out pokersitescout.com for true *cash* game player figures not inflated by play money or tourney table players.

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf? are tourney players not poker players now? welcome to bizzaro world.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:49 AM

Cash game player numbers are the most reliable ones for determining the size of various sites relative to each other.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Cash game player numbers are the most reliable ones for determining the size of various sites relative to each other.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was the number of usernames with a Q in them?
Old 10-04-2006, 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers"

Shakespeare

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhhhh... I think one of the presidents somewhere along the line already signed a bill making this illegal, or at least immoral.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nate,

"I'm not sure that PartyPoker and 888 did themselves justice my making a decision in essentially 24 hours."

It's silly to think that PartyPoker, a multibillion dollar public corporation, just made a hasty off-the-cuff decision here. I would wager a large amount that they have had a number of top-caliber lawyers and strategists working out the relative merits of various scenarios that might take place and the actions Party could take. It is very likely that they acted this fast simply because they had already worked out exactly what they felt was their best move in this specific scenario.

[/ QUOTE ]

ehh they probably just flipped a coin
Old 10-04-2006, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nate,

"I'm not sure that PartyPoker and 888 did themselves justice my making a decision in essentially 24 hours."

It's silly to think that PartyPoker, a multibillion dollar public corporation, just made a hasty off-the-cuff decision here. I would wager a large amount that they have had a number of top-caliber lawyers and strategists working out the relative merits of various scenarios that might take place and the actions Party could take. It is very likely that they acted this fast simply because they had already worked out exactly what they felt was their best move in this specific scenario.

[/ QUOTE ]

Diablo,

I know for a fact that what you say is true. My wife's friend has been involved in their U.S. representation with repsect to this legislation for months.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:20 PM

All,

I was not sarcastic at all wrt my comments regarding Party's decision-making process here.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:40 PM

Shouldn't this thread title be changed? It's more than misleading.