Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2006, 02:12 AM

Default Re: But I Don\'t Look Like Phil Hellmuth

Villain has me covered by like 2k.

Also AsXs has a flush. AsXo however was certainly something i thought was a possibility.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:12 AM

The fact that he didn't bet on the flop in your previous hand when he held the 88 on an A high flop doesn't bother me but when he checks the turn as well it seems to me that he is fairly timid and unsure of how tp properly maniuplate his position for his own benefit. If you had an ace thn he can't win at showdown anyways so betting seems logical there. He has no real showdown value at that point and should continue that hand as a "bluff".

In revisiting that hand and how he played it, I can't put him on AA here or holding a King. So it seems as though he has either AQ,AJs (maybe) or a PP again (most likely). That being the case I think you played this hand to extract the most possible. In playing it "passively" I think you took the most "aggrssive" approach in getting the money in the middle. Hope it makes sense in a wierd round a bout way.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:14 AM

i dont see AsXo doing this really, especailly against the guy that just checked down...

feels more like a pair <K. or a flush
Old 04-28-2006, 02:17 AM

I don't mind so much just calling preflop here for the stack size reasons as you stated. But I think I'm check raising all in on the turn here if he bets. It looks like you're definitely calling down this one barring something crazy happening. I think you still get called by a reasonable amount of hands you beat that may just check through the river after you call the turn. And with your plan to check call most rivers anyway you're still going broke when you're beat.

-ActionBob
Old 04-28-2006, 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Also AsXs has a flush. AsXo however was certainly
something i thought was a possibility.

Typo...reading for way to long today
Old 04-28-2006, 02:21 AM

Exit,
When he checked down its hard to say as the board kept getting worse and worse for him. A64TJ. I think it was possible he would have bet the turn on a safe card but who knows. Also its quite possible he thinks "I have a pair, i hope its good" where here he is thinking I missed my draw this is when you bluff.

Or its possible that he thinks as Jloc suggests with a pocket pair like TT/99/JJ that had "safe" turn and river cards. Either way is possible I guess.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Exit, in that spot what is your preflop pushing range?

[/ QUOTE ]

This only really would matter if your opponent knew you. I'm not sure what you are saying, but I get the feeling you are saying that you would push with few enough hands that you wouldn't expect to get enough action from weaker hands? Or of course maybe you are just asking him what his pushing range is [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I would definitely reraise because I'm out of position and people get very funny in late position situations like this. If you raise to 6500 or so they may often find an excuse to move allin with any pair or other random assorted hands, even though they don't really have any FE.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't mind so much just calling preflop here for the stack size reasons as you stated. But I think I'm check raising all in on the turn here if he bets. It looks like you're definitely calling down this one barring something crazy happening. I think you still get called by a reasonable amount of hands you beat that may just check through the river after you call the turn. And with your plan to check call most rivers anyway you're still going broke when you're beat.

-ActionBob

[/ QUOTE ]

I really can't think of any hands that would call the turn check raise.

MLG,

Why wouldn't you lead the turn here? I think that if you aren't going to know what to do when he shoves the river you should lead the turn.

Also the fact that this guy had 88 the other hand against you is signifigant since he was trying to get it to showdown and doesn't necessarily indicate an unwillingness to bluff.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:28 AM

curtains, I was honestly just curious as to what his range is.

because I feel that when I make a bet like raising 2400 to 17k its pretty easy for my tighter opponents to fold everything but JJ-AA AK and maybe TT and that they would be doing so correctly.

This was not a guy who was gonna "put me on AK" and call with 77 if I jammed. So i felt like jamming let him off the hook to easily unless he had exactly JJ. That left reraising smaller which seemed really awkward and difficult, or just calling. That's why I decided to call although I'm certainly open to other ideas.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Exit, in that spot what is your preflop pushing range?

[/ QUOTE ]

This only really would matter if your opponent knew you. I'm not sure what you are saying, but I get the feeling you are saying that you would push with few enough hands that you wouldn't expect to get enough action from weaker hands? Or of course maybe you are just asking him what his pushing range is [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I would definitely reraise because I'm out of position and people get very funny in late position situations like this. If you raise to 6500 or so they may often find an excuse to move allin with any pair or other random assorted hands, even though they don't really have any FE.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to post this exact thing as well, although I don't mind just calling PF I think shoving or reraising a lot pf is a good play and it doesn't matter much against this guy that your range is so small if he doesn't know you.