Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2005, 05:41 PM

Default Re: Evolving

im stuck on number 3. I improved a lot from March to June but since then Ive hardly improved at all.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:42 PM

Great post, hit the nail on the head with most of us, I suspect.

Really learning how to play is a tough, tough thing to do. Psychologically, it is easier to hit a point when you are winning, and stop improving. It is like that with most topics of study, or serious activities. A large majority of people reach a point, and stop b/c that is as far as their abilities will take them, it is just self preservation (in a psychological sense) that makes us think we have reached the top of the mountain.

Realistically, with subjects as in depth as poker, whenever we reach a peak in our ascent towards being the perfect poker player, we realize that the mountain is higher and steeper than we ever knew.

When I look back at my old posts, I am a little envious of that dude. He would have been thrilled to know the numbers behind pushing AQ with 7xBB from MP. To him, that was the top of the mountain.

But here I am, looking down at the old me from 2 years ago, miles down. Bewildered, b/c the only thing I have really learned in 2 years of playing, is how much I really still need to learn. I feel like Ralph Ciparetto in the Matrix, when he just wishes he could go back to not knowing.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:08 PM

This is a very helpful post for me. I think I am still a newbie and don't post very often. I have been reading, studying and playing SNG and micro tournaments. I have a very difficult time with the math. Does anyone have any suggestions to make it stick. I know about outs but counting them while I'm playing is very hard. I'm not sure about ranges and would like to learn more.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:10 PM

There is a limit book by king Yao. I forget the exact title, but he does an unbelieveable job of explaining odds. Written about limit, but you can easily apply it to no-limit
Old 12-20-2005, 06:10 PM

practice, practice, practice. also just memorize the basics, there's no real short cut.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:14 PM

I think I'm somewhere between 3 and 4 but I'm not sure.
I've stalled recently (I had a serious accident a few weeks ago and just got back to playing last week-- I'm pretty laid up right now and there's not much else I can do).
I'm a fast learner-- and I was playing really well and running well for a few months there, which jacked my bankroll up from basically nothing to 7-8k-- so I know I have it, but I feel like I'm stalling now.
My biggest problems are that I get impatient and make too many instant decisions without thinking about what my opponent has and whether or not my decisions will win the pot.
I also find that after I've been playing for a while, I play too passively. I've been having a hard time maintaining the discipline to give it my best no matter what the stakes. After I've been playing at a certain level I tend to start calling WAY too much instead of raising or folding.
Right now I'm still not very good at putting my opponents on hands. I feel like I have the capability, but something in the learning process is missing. Like... I don't get the opportunities to read my opponents' hands or I don't get enough information to narrow them down. Every once in a while I make what I consider a great play based on a good read, so it's there, but it's rare.
My instincts are still good... I'm just not good at listening to them, or keeping them attuned to the game. :P
Old 12-20-2005, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In all seriousness I've really found myself not being able to find any interesting hands in my own play either. When I do give advice it always feels very basic to me. I almost feel like I have to be in a good mood to post. I still read this forum every day though.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's true, but I don't think the reason is that you don't have anything special to say, reason is that most the questions are like "Do I push here" etc, like OP said. You really can't advice because there are no real questions that much anymore.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your post appears suspciously derived from the opening scenes of "The Paper Chase," as Hart discusses those who naturally gravitate to the head of the class, those who desparately want to get there, and those who will always sit in the back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reminds me of the law school myth. On the first day they tell you to look to your left and to your right. One of those people will not graduate with you.

Stuck at 3 (Hopefully not overstating my abilities), but feel like a 2 when I make bad plays.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:43 PM

never saw the paper chase but its a pretty common life theme.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:47 PM

Thank you for this post. Not only has it encouraged me to think about how far I have progressed or not, but how I post on this site.

I would put myself at a Level 3, trying to become a 4. My buy-in level is probably behind/way behind what I feel my thinking level is, although I might be wrong about that and just be Confuzzled. I got married and bought a house this year and have cashed out nearly all of my profits to help pay for those things, and this has kept me with almost the same bankroll for most of the year.

I do find myself gravitating towards the posts of more experienced forum members and looking at play that I consider more advanced than my own. I am finding more interest in calling in late position or the blinds with more marginal hands, seeing flops, making reads, and acting accordingly. Shania intrigues me and has me thinking of how to diversify my play. I have also only recently started focusing more on Multi play, having spent most of my year in the SNGs.

I'm guilty of complaceny as well, not pushing myself to become better. Part of this has been because of resigning myself to a certain Bankroll because of the profits I've had to cash out (I started at about $2300 and am currently at about $3600), part of it is because I know I am a winning player in the games I am in. But in the weeks and months to come, I am going to make an effort to explain more of my thinking in hands I post, rather than just wait for reactions (although in a way this was me taking the time to Listen). I am also going to solicit responses to my replies. Otherwise, what's the point of frequenting the forum?

Thank you all, Happy Holidays.

Chuck